Opinions Needed. Trade-In Versys on 2012 Strom? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Opinions Needed. Trade-In Versys on 2012 Strom?

Hey guys! I spent 2 days at AZ Bike Week this year and rode many demo bikes. One of the ones I was fortunate to ride since Suzuki was there this year, was the 2012 Vstrom 650. (I rode the adventure with hard bags, shield, crash bars, etc.)

I also rode the Vstrom 1000 which was pretty nice as well...

I have the following observations compared to my 09 Versys... I am comparing the "compromises" I have on the Versys and how those compare to the wee-strom 12.

1. The oem seat is a GEM. I don't think I could do any better than that seat whether aftermarket or custom. It has a nice trim accent on it as well.

2. The bike has NO fairing buzzing, and is not as buzzy as the V. The V-Twin has a vibe to it, but it's a coarse low harmonic vibe, not a high frequency vibe that is somewhat intrusive like the V. It seems every hard mounted accessory I bolt to the Versys, it transmits MORE vibes either through the bars or pegs.

3. The dash has a very nice lay-out. Including a gear indicator, ambient temp gauge, and a engine temp gauge. As well as an ice alert (or freeze alert) The dash is very very nice.

4. Overall, the bike runs down the road smoother, and feels like a more substantial bike than the V. The comfort is a step above... VERY plush.

5. It also has the rear pre-load knob that you turn by hand... Very handy when you load down the back end.

6. The strom has ABS standard.

-------------------------

Now the negatives compared to the Versys...

1. The front end is a bit vague with less feedback due to the standard forks, and taller narrower tire. Versys has the sporty 17 inch tire and upside-down forks.

2. Versys handles a bit quicker on transitions, and at slow speed. It has a much shorter wheelbase, and again the suspension is a LOT stiffer for a more sporting ride.

3. The parallel twin has a fun factor that is hard to explain. It is buzzy, yes, but has a less coarse delivery. Just different, I would call it a wash on engine character. You get a smoother less buzzy delivery in the mid-range, but more of a pulse indicative of a v-twin.

Now the final summary. To me, if you are spending a lot of time in curves, in town, or short jaunts, and want to push the bike into steep lean angles with a lot of confidence, and do occasional two-up riding for short trips, the Versys is your bike.

If you tend to spend a long time in the saddle, on the interstate, and plan on two-up a lot, the strom is smoother, roomier, and more stable with a more useful, compliant suspension. I have seen video of the new wee strom dragging pegs 2-up, so I know it can handle it, but he versys would inspire more confidence...

Now the cost if I were to put it all on the scale and trade for the 2012 wee-strom 650...

The deal I got on the 09 is nowadays unheard of due to the recovering sales of MC's and the exchange rate of dollar vs. yen. The days of a $6,000 OTD new mid size bike are over. I paid Just under $5600 OTD on my 09 versys brand new last year. Raw bike cost was $4800. plus fees.

The Vstrom 2012 650 is $8700 OTD, and they are allowing $4000 for the versys, and if trading it, I see a tax savings of $350. So if I sold it privately, I would have to do better than $4350 bone stock. I will also be getting about $100 back on plate credit and $300 back on the kawi extended warranty.

So out of pocket, I am gonna have to cough-up roughly $4,000 ... Just as well, Suzuki currently has zero % financing over 60mos. or .5% financing over 72 mos.

I really liked the 2012 Wee-strom 650. It is in my opinion a decent upgrade to the Versys for at least my use, and seems like it needs less tweaking to take it off-road and for overall "glitchyness"...

The 2012 apparently addresses all the concerns folks had about the previous wee-strom... It also has the twin transplanted from the Gladius 650, and includes a water cooled oil cooler as well...

What say you all ?

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2011 V-Star 950 Touring Candy Red
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX250EX White(rejetted with UNI filter) fer the kid
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:17 PM

Well... the first thing I'd say is... sounds like you've already made your decision!! Congrats!!

I don't think anyone here is going to knock you for choosing 1 great bike over another great bike? kind of senseless

But here's one stat that you kind of alluded to in your report, which may or *may not* mean anything to the readers of this! The Wee Strom has about a 6 inch longer wheel base than the Versys does...

what does that mean? well, turn in, as you mentioned. "size" of the bike, as you said the Wee, it's more "substantial"...

It really comes down to personal choice! of course! There is nothing wrong with the Wee, if it fits your personal needs! enjoy!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:19 PM

If they give you $4000 for the Versys and you WANT the strom, I say "what are you waiting for?" You might be able to sell it privately but wont get lots more than $4000 if you did and it would be a hassle dealing with the process.

Obviously financially you can pay the bills or you would not be asking. I traded my C50 to the dealer because I was not getting any hits on CL. I may have lost $500 or so but to me, I saved the hassle and I was riding my Versys!

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:22 PM

If you can afford it, buy the bike you really want. Otherwise, you'll regret it. If you change your mind, you can always get another Versys.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Well... the first thing I'd say is... sounds like you've already made your decision!! Congrats!!

I don't think anyone here is going to knock you for choosing 1 great bike over another great bike? kind of senseless

But here's one stat that you kind of alluded to in your report, which may or *may not* mean anything to the readers of this! The Wee Strom has about a 6 inch longer wheel base than the Versys does...

what does that mean? well, turn in, as you mentioned. "size" of the bike, as you said the Wee, it's more "substantial"...

It really comes down to personal choice! of course! There is nothing wrong with the Wee, if it fits your personal needs! enjoy!
Thanks for your reply... I have decided the wee fits me and my needs better no question, that tips the scales in favor of the new wee-strom ... (not by a huge amount however) ... It comes down to having to quantify the differences to the tune of $4,000 LOL

I could spend say $400 on a versys seat... (solved)

Spend a few hundred on making the rear shock/spring right so I can actually USE the travel advertised .... And I can spend a few hundred on a set of Pirelli MT60's to make it a bit more off tarmac worthy.

Free foam mod for the buzzy cowl, and $150 for a gear indicator if so desired... I like the idea that the versys is trouble free... I mean it's a tough one to quantify the $4,000 ... Aside from going up 3 years in model year... That's a given also ...

The versys in it's current role is not "BROKE" and I like it a lot ... Just the wee maybe 30% more ... I will never find a new versys for what I paid for mine ... And I could buy the wee outright, but I don't think they would get along alone in the garage... lol

2008 Suzuki B-King ABS (smithabusa interface, ecuEditor, Reflashed/DeLimited, Scorpion Exhaust)
2008 Kawi Brute Force 650 (HMF Full Exhaust, Twin-Air Kit, Dyna Ignition, My Jetting, and a few FST Parts

Last edited by dezertv; 04-17-2012 at 04:30 PM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertv View Post
Thanks for your reply... I have decided the wee fits me and my needs better no question, that tips the scales in favor of the new wee-strom ... (not by a huge amount however) ... It comes down to having to quantify the differences to the tune of $4,000 LOL

I could spend say $400 on a versys seat... (solved)

Spend a few hundred on making the rear shock/spring right so I can actually USE the travel advertised .... And I can spend a few hundred on a set of Pirelli MT60's to make it a bit more off tarmac worthy.

Free foam mod for the buzzy cowl, and $150 for a gear indicator if so desired... I like the idea that the versys is trouble free... I mean it's a tough one to quantify the $4,000 ... Aside from going up 3 years in model year... That's a given also ...
Only you can make this decision!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

.......... LMAO........... Maybe the question I SHOULD be asking is: "how do I justify having a Versys and a new VStrom?" ....

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
.......... LMAO........... Maybe the question I SHOULD be asking is: "how do I justify having a Versys and a new VStrom?" ....
That's a bit harder! If your married, very hard! If you got lots o money, much easier.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:57 PM
MTS

Like Dave said get the bike you want. Do it!! You can alway get another V. Go for it man you only live once!!!! Only bummer is the 2 gal tank! Ha! Ha! just jokin!!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 PM

I sold my Versys to a guy in Colorado for my asking price and have been looking at the new Vastom with great interest.

I waited (not patiently) for my local Suzuki dealers to get the 2012 Vstrom in and when I finally was able to actually sit on one, I had mixed emotions. I know that the Gladius engine is now in the Vstrom and I can personally attest to the fact that it is more potent than the old Vstrom engine. That was one thing I was looking for.

Now the rub.

The local dealers have only gotten in the Vstrom with bags and they are God awful ugly bags. They don't even have handles on them. Also, they take up about 4'. I'm am not about to pay another $1,000.00 for those things.

I wanted to see the plain Vstrom and no one has one that I can find. I would have probably already bought one, but alas..............no one has one in the Dallas area that I know of.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
I sold my Versys to a guy in Colorado for my asking price and have been looking at the new Vastom with great interest.

I waited (not patiently) for my local Suzuki dealers to get the 2012 Vstrom in and when I finally was able to actually sit on one, I had mixed emotions. I know that the Gladius engine is now in the Vstrom and I can personally attest to the fact that it is more potent than the old Vstrom engine. That was one thing I was looking for.

Now the rub.

The local dealers have only gotten in the Vstrom with bags and they are God awful ugly bags. They don't even have handles on them. Also, they take up about 4'. I'm am not about to pay another $1,000.00 for those things.

I wanted to see the plain Vstrom and no one has one that I can find. I would have probably already bought one, but alas..............no one has one in the Dallas area that I know of.

Actually.... Isn't it like $1500 more for the Adventure? ... So what you're saying is I should buy it if they have one

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Easy, don't justify just do as you only live once .
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 PM

I had a 650 Vstrom for 3 years and am new to the Versys. All I can say is, the Versys is a much better bike. I can drive more miles and be comfortable wayyyy longer on the Versys. I think the Versys handles better, and is much easier to maneuver. Good luck on your decision, but I think you will be disappointed in the long run if you go to a 'strom.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 PM

Setting aside the cost issue for the moment, I think this choice, like almost all "which bike" decisions, comes down to the question: "What do you do most with your motorcycle?"

In this particular example of Versys vs. V-Strom:

If you ride a lot of slab or if you ride any significant amount of dirt roads or if you ride two-up often or for long distances, I'd say go with the V-Strom.

If your long-distance riding is mostly one-up and you prefer curvy asphalt to dirt and/or superslab, then the Versys is the better choice.

So, which better describes you? I'm the second example, so even though I think the V-Strom is a great motorcycle, I wouldn't trade my Versys for one.

On the cost issue, if you can afford the $4,000, it sounds like you're getting a good deal.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 PM

The others here have made good points, but if you're looking to justify spending the extra $4k on the Wee I think you're making the wrong comparison. You should compare the price differential of buying the 2012 Wee to the price of a new 2012 Versys outfitted with the requisite equipment rather than the cost of hanging onto a bike you all ready own. The cost of keeping the bike you all ready own is almost always going to come out ahead in such a price comparison. If you make the former comparison, there is very little diff in price, and the Versys may come out being more expensive. I just bought a new 2011, (for $6750), and I've got almost $1500 into the racks and bags and engine guard. By the time I get the seat and a few other add-ons I'll have more than your investment in the Wee into my new V. I'll be curious to hear how you like the new Wee after you've had it for a while if you buy one. I considered it as a possible replacement as well, but decided I really liked the handling and the proven reliability of the Versys more. Whichever way you go, good luck and keep us posted.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 PM

Garage
Seems fitting....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 PM

For me personally, Versys is the upper limit for cheaper "adventure". Meaning, V-strom is too far away from the standard and sporty that I like and it is ugly as sin. I like staying in the sporty-standard field. I could kinda see myself getting a Multistrada or a 1200GS, but when it comes to Suzuki, I would not seriously consider the Vstrom at all, even though new one is slightly easier on the eyes. My wife rides an SV650N and that is what I'd get from the Suzuki lot, with some aftermarket farkles of course. I know, it does not contribute to the discussion that much, but I shared anyway.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 PM

Lol j/k..if that's what floats your boat go for it. Personally i'd never trade the V for a wee strom or even the 1k... i see the Versys as the superior bike... my opinion though

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the unbiased comments thus far. Feel free anyone else to chime-in. I'm still listening... Miguelito, you make a valid point that I considered to level the "values" and not take into consideration that depreciation of the 09 versys. Which brings an interesting point. I booked (wholesale) a 2011 Versys and a 2011 Vstrom 650. The difference in the Versys and Vstrom RETAIL NEW are not too different. BUT, the wholesale value favors the Vstrom 650 by about $1500. I guess Kawi hasn't completely broke-free of the steeper than typical depreciation the others big 3 have. At least in my locale, the Vstroms that are nice low milers get snapped-up by the private buyer/s and the Versys guys try to do all they can to sell for anything fair... Nothing wrong with the Versys, or ZX6-R or anything Kawi., just resale here stinks ...

weljo2001 ... man that's some funny chit

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:02 AM

Haven't read the posts, pardon any redundancy. NO. No, no, no.
Unless you are going sport touring and want an uprighter that doesn't get as good mileage, is heavy and not even the fastest anymore in it's category.
My buddy has one, and while he loves it, I could see the Versys leaving it in the twisties, if I was as daring a rider as he is (crazy man). Keep the Versys and your money, save it for upgrades or try the new 1000 V. The Strom is dated, even if its upgraded, as far as I know. If you have the cash, look for the BMW or the Tenare, or even the MultiStrada. Those upgrades would be worth it.

My Album:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode