Versys Wreck Pics - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys Wreck Pics

I am posting this for Chris who is my father-in-law, he has broken his shoulder scapula and a rib and had to have stitches in his knee. he struck the back of a vehicle at about 35 mph on 2/25/2008, he's home now after spending a night in the hospital. he asked me to post this for him since he cant us his right arm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:03 PM

Best wishes to him and all of you for a full recovery. Any idea how or why he hit the vehicle?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

all we know is that he was getting on the highway and looked left to see if it was clear to get on, and trafic stopped in front of him. he somehow hit the vehicle in front of him on the passenger side near the tail light, and put his bike down on the right hand side. the bike has damage to both sides, so were not shure about the details.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:07 PM

Best Wishes to Chris, hope he recovers quickly. Keep us posted!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
all we know is that he was getting on the highway and looked left to see if it was clear to get on, and trafic stopped in front of him. he somehow hit the vehicle in front of him on the passenger side near the tail light, and put his bike down on the right hand side. the bike has damage to both sides, so were not shure about the details.
That's something I think about often when merging in heavy traffic. A lot can change in front of you in just a second or two. I did roughly the same thing about 30 years ago, cost me a week in the hospital and a ruptured spleen. Give my best to your father-in-law and I hope he has a swift and full recovery.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 10:56 PM

Ouch! Glad he is ok though, bikes are easy to come by!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

well i wouldn't say he's ok, he's got at least a couple months of recovery ahead.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
well i wouldn't say he's ok, he's got at least a couple months of recovery ahead.

Hey man... please pass along all my hopes for the speediest possible
recovery
. It might be tough to find the good news at this point but it is there.
Your father-in-law was actually able to ask your help in making these posts.
There is big good news in that.

all my best.

t.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:35 AM

Thanks for posting this...a good reminder to us all.
Best wishes for a complete recovery!

R.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 04:19 PM

hey chris
please pass on our best wishes for a quick and speedy recovery from here in the UK, its bad at the moment but things can only get better,,,,,,
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:43 PM

It's momentarily sad to see the banged-up bike, but that can all be fixed or replaced. What's more important is that you were wearing a helmet and gear, Chris, that saved you from a really terrible injury.

I'm really sorry to hear about your shoulder, ribs, knee and what are probably a thousand bruises and twinges and tweaks. Take your recovery and rehab as seriously as you do your riding. You'll be back on a bike and fully functional in plenty of time to catch most of summer and all of autumn under the wheels of your rehabilitated/replaced Versys.

While you're on the mend, let us know how you're doing - and let us divert you when you need to keep your mind off aches and pains. I bet there are hours and hours of great stories just waiting to be told by the folks on this forum - and you could be their good excuse to tell them. We could start a thread: "Hey, Chris, let me tell you about the time I . . . "

If there's any way we can help, Chris, just let us know. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Kevin McClearey
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Ouch, I'm back

Well, this is the first post I have made personally since the accident Friday. Thanks to my son-in-law for his help in posting for me. I can’t help but wonder if I could have zigged a little more and avoided the situation (and a few broken bones). I do want to thank you all for your words of encouragement – they have been good medicine for my wounded soul. One last thing before I sign off. The insurance agent called this morning and informed me that they are going to “total” my bike. The news made me sad.

Thanks again

Chris

Last edited by Chris; 04-29-2008 at 11:30 AM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:45 PM

It's great that you're up and around enough to be able to use your keyboard, Chris!

I can understand why you're sad about the news that your Versys will be regarded as "totaled." You were just getting to know it . . .

Hopefully, the insurance company will be replacing it with a new Versys. You might want to see if they will let you have the broken bike, since they regard it as a total write-off. It could be a valuable source of undamaged bits and pieces for use as "spares" in the future.

Keep healing and try your best not to replay the accident. In the immortal words of Paul, the crusty father on American Chopper, "What was was, was isis is, and what is is what's happening right now!" If you can unravel his wording and logic, then you're well on your way to a full recovery!

Stay in touch with us!

Best,
Kevin
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 PM

Hey Chris,

Good to see words written from your own hands (or hand, if your shoulder can't move). Sorry to hear about the V getting totaled, but the bright side is you should be getting a new one and start all over with new mods and accessories, which is a good way to get that shoulder back in shape gradually!!!

Keep us up on the what's happening!
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

It's been a while

Hi. My name is Chris and I wanted to get reacquainted with you all after a rather lengthy absence. I had a rather bad accident back in April as I was trying to get on the highway during rush hour. My recovery took a while, but I'm glad to say everything is working well at this point.

I wasn't sure that I would ride again, not because I couldn't, but rather a decision based on the pain I experienced as a result of hitting the pavement at 45-50 MPH (My son-in-law said I was traveling about 35 MPH, but he was misinformed. I was accelerating hard to merge into traffic). Plus, I still had to undergo surgery on my shoulder. Nonetheless, after my body healed enough to again be mobile (about two months recovery), I started to feel that "itch"; that desire to be "on the road again."

I still wasn't sure that getting back on a bike was a great idea (fear factor I figure), but decided the only way to know was just do it. Just before my surgery I bought a used (2005) KLR. I was able to ride it twice before the Doc repaired my shoulder. Another month of recovery and I was back on the bike and truly enjoying it. But it wasn't the same; it wasn't the bike I went crazy over in February, it wasn't my Versys. So in September I bought another V. And just like before, I love it!

It's good to be back.

There's another aspect to this story, but I save that for another day.

Peace
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 09:42 AM

Welcome back!!! Glad you are fully recovered!!! From the looks of your gear it looks like it did it's job well!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 10:04 AM

Sorry about the unscheduled dismount. Praying for a complete and quick recovery. Have a good Thanksgiving.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

States I've ridden in so far

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

And welcome back!

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 10:29 AM

Wow, awesome!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode