What would you do? Dealer scratched my bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

What would you do? Dealer scratched my bike

So I took my bike to the dealer to have the valves checked. When I picked it up todaym everything was good to go. However, when I got it home, I noticed the right valve cover had been scratched up in a few places. Paint is actually missing in two spots. So do I go back tomorrow and complain? Do I let it go and chalk it up to bad luck? What should I do? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madone1 View Post
So I took my bike to the dealer to have the valves checked. When I picked it up todaym everything was good to go. However, when I got it home, I noticed the right valve cover had been scratched up in a few places. Paint is actually missing in two spots. So do I go back tomorrow and complain? Do I let it go and chalk it up to bad luck? What should I do? Any thoughts?
Complain to management. If you pay them to work on your bike, the least they can do is do it correctly and not screw anything up on your bike... Imagine if you owned a brand new Ferrari and took it into the dealer to get work done on it. Now imagine your same scenario with your bike applied to the Ferrari...
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 AM

Naaaa, you go back.

Give the dealership a chance to make it right. Will they? maybe, maybe not. But that will be a very telltale sign if you want to use this dealership again.

Maybe you have no choice? Maybe there's not another nearby? If that's the case I'd approach it with an attitude that doesn't ruin your relationship if they don't comply and fix it.

It's possible that upon explaining how the cover is scratched up, the general manager will be saying to himself "I told that damn new kid to be careful this time!".

You don't know what's going on there and how they'll react, so you have to say something, because it's the right thing to do. They should not be scratching up the valve covers.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 05:03 AM

I think you're being petty. Those valve covers can get stuck on pretty good and sometimes it requires getting a screwdriver in there and prying. Aluminum scratches easily. Touch it up with some black paint or even a black marker and ride your bike.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 AM

If it's not bad let it go but at least call the dealer to see how they handle it. If they are jerks you know to never go back. I wish dealers were better all around but with everyone wanting a "deal" they don't have the money to pay and retain good mechanics.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:07 AM

You absolutley have to say something. I feel if it was me I owe it to all the fellow riders, even if it doesn't get fixed it might be a problem with that mechanic, or porter that gets addressed so he is more careful next time. I say hold them accountable. If you have to go back to this dealership I would make sure to mention they scratched it last time it was there so they are more careful with your ride! You have every right to be upset about it.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 AM

shooting rampage
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
I think you're being petty. Those valve covers can get stuck on pretty good and sometimes it requires getting a screwdriver in there and prying. Aluminum scratches easily. Touch it up with some black paint or even a black marker and ride your bike.
After having a night to sleep on it, I've decided to not make it a big deal. We are talking about a couple of nicks in the valve cover that I can touch up. I have always been very happy with this dealer, and have every intention of buying my next bike there, so why risk damaging the relationship?

Last edited by Madone1; 04-05-2012 at 11:07 AM.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Give the dealership a chance to make it right. Will they? maybe, maybe not. But that will be a very telltale sign if you want to use this dealership again.
That's what I would do. Even if they don't fix it you will get an idea of how they will treat you if something big ever comes up.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:04 PM

I have an anonymous email account for situations like this. Send the shop manager an email telling him your "after sleeping on it" thoughts. That way you are anonymous, and he can decide if he wants to address his staff

Hoping to become a rider soon
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 01:02 PM

I've worked in auto repair all my life. I have had to deal with customers whose vehicle had been "scratched" by a tech. I have never held a grudge against someone who had a legitimate complaint. I've always made it right. Vehicles are expensive these days and pride of ownership is paramount. I'd ride back in and show them. It makes sense with the work that was just done. Besides, the tech should have used a rag on the screwdriver end to prevent this from happening. I'd just see what they have to say. No harm, no foul if approached with a level head.

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=Claypgn;193277 I'd just see what they have to say. No harm, no foul if approached with a level head.[/QUOTE]

post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:49 PM

It does sound worth mentioning to them since you did pay $$ for "professional" level service. After getting some new tires on my truck once the service manager told me he noticed either a couple of decorative lugnut covers or a center cap missing(can't remember) and wanted to make sure his guys didn't do it - they didn't. I was very impressed and countinued going there.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypgn View Post
I've worked in auto repair all my life. I have had to deal with customers whose vehicle had been "scratched" by a tech. I have never held a grudge against someone who had a legitimate complaint. I've always made it right. Vehicles are expensive these days and pride of ownership is paramount. I'd ride back in and show them. It makes sense with the work that was just done. Besides, the tech should have used a rag on the screwdriver end to prevent this from happening. I'd just see what they have to say. No harm, no foul if approached with a level head.
After further review.... Have to say your post inspired me to stop by the dealer and I am really glad I did. The more I thought about it, the more I thought I should at least mention the issue. I got there, and said to the serivce guy "Can you take a look at something for me?" He looked at it and said, let me get my service manager. He came out and said, "yep that is a problem, and we need to take care of that. I'll order a new cover right away and we will get you taken care of."

Bottom line, I went in wanting to just express my concern, and the dealer made it right. The situation was an opportunity to test the relationship I have with them, and they stepped up big time. Thank you, Clawson Motorsports, Fresno, CA!!
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
After further review.... Have to say your post inspired me to stop by the dealer and I am really glad I did. The more I thought about it, the more I thought I should at least mention the issue. I got there, and said to the serivce guy "Can you take a look at something for me?" He looked at it and said, let me get my service manager. He came out and said, "yep that is a problem, and we need to take care of that. I'll order a new cover right away and we will get you taken care of."

Bottom line, I went in wanting to just express my concern, and the dealer made it right. The situation was an opportunity to test the relationship I have with them, and they stepped up big time. Thank you, Clawson Motorsports, Fresno, CA!!
What's probably going to happen now is that the guy who messed it up is going to have to replace it for free. That's what happens when you work on commission. I worked for someone once who would also dock the mechanic for tying up the stall to fix the comeback, and for the part price.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
After having a night to sleep on it, I've decided to not make it a big deal. We are talking about a couple of nicks in the valve cover that I can touch up. I have always been very happy with this dealer, and have every intention of buying my next bike there, so why risk damaging the relationship?
Honestly, now I'm not sure. And the reason is... how bad is this?

you first said some scratches and some paint was missing? now just a couple of nicks?

kind of hard for any of us to be helpful not knowing? post some pics, let us see what yer talking about...
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:

They'll likely make sure they don't scratch up and nick your nice new replacement valve cover.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

My dealer took care of the work on my bike yesterday. I didn’t get around to posting any pics of the damage, but what we had were two large nicks down to the bare metal at the top of the valve cover. In the same general area, there were a bunch of scratches as well. The scratches did not bother me as much as the damage down to bare metal. Long story short, dealer made things right and was very forthcoming with an apology. I have a long standing relationship with them, and honestly I can say that this incident has increased my confidence in them.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 PM

Be sure to support this guy in the future, even if he costs $5 more than someone else. You are very lucky to have a shop like that. Now all the jaded bitter "stealership" guys cant say the dealer always sucks or screws you.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 08:47 AM

In my experience (again, in the auto repair industry) the tech is not charged for the part or time. The tech will probably have to install it at no labor charge and the service department will "eat" their cost of the part. It happens more frequently than one would like (a gasket is torn, a bolt gets lost, etc) parts are written off to a service account. Sometimes the dealer will throw the repair through as a warranty claim in order to cover the part and labor (depends on if the bike still has warranty) or they may use another bike's VIN number to run a claim through on. Lots of ways to cover "OOPS" repairs - not all are above board.

Glad they stepped up. I've worked for many car dealers and they really do care and have people who care working there as well.

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode