bell to ward off the gremlins - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

bell to ward off the gremlins

New rider here. The legend goes that someone has to give you the bell right? I can't go out and get it myself, won't have the same effect in warding off the motorcycle gremlins right?

I don't know that many bikers/motorcyclist/Versys pilots and am wondering when mine will come about. It's a right of passage thing as I understand it so I guess I'll just have to wait for it to happen.

Any stories about how you guys got yours? Does anyone actually have them on their bikes? Was reading another thread and I saw one hanging off of a V in a pic and it made me think of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:27 PM

Mine came from my garage and resembles a small cow bell so I guess I'm screwed.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:31 PM
MTS

Dude don't worry! You can do a ton of things for safe passage. Do the one that is closest to your truth or heart! Some people have their bike smugged and blessed! Others do nothing and think its silly!
You pick what is right for you! Most guys will not talk too much about this because it is really a personal thing. And some times the things done are a little strange! Ha! Ha! Enough said!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:35 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
Mine came from my garage and resembles a small cow bell so I guess I'm screwed.
That is awesome!! LOL

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 04-04-2012 at 10:52 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:53 PM

Garage
I bought one when i first got the V then had to buy another one this year. It fell off or got snatched. Some guys from another group were asking me about it. I went in to eat then later after the ride i noticed it was gone. Amazon has a good selection of them.

The bell is hanging below the exhaust. The second photo was taken just before the bell went missing.

IMG_0097 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0851 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 11:00 PM
MTS

Joseph I hope it fell off because it somebody took it, that is really bad carma! Somethings are not to be touched! Period!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 11:02 PM

If you buy it it will "work" but if it is a gift . . .twice as powerful.

Mine keep falling off. I lost a 2007 Sturgis Rally bell and a man in the iron mask looking one. Maybe that's how you tell that their magic is all used up and it is time for a replacement.

IBA # 49372
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 PM

Don't forget your rabbit's foot(rabbit should of had a bell) and never ride your bike under a ladder.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 12:58 AM

The goal is to eliminate NVH as well as possible. Adding a dang bell to create an annoying noise which may mask a potentially critical breakdown, or fall off with catastrophic results is completely illogical... It can in fact attract imaginative 'gremlins' as well as it can repel them. Gremlins absolutely love the sound of them little bells!

Last edited by invader; 04-05-2012 at 01:10 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 01:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
The goal is to eliminate NVH as well as possible. Adding a dang bell to create an annoying noise which may mask a potentially critical breakdown, or fall off with catastrophic results is completely illogical... Besides, it can neither repel or attract imaginative 'gremlins'.

Hell.. I just like the silly thing..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 04:10 AM

I use a similare approach...

except its a Stebel Nautilus, them thar Gremlins don't like 130+db
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 04:56 AM

I had some friends of mine years ago give me one. I didn't know what it was at the time but then did some reading about them. I was touched that they gave it to me and it has been on my bikes ever since.

If you want one, buy one for yourself. On a past forum I used to frequent, they started a thread about buying one for another member and shipping it to them if they would reciprocate. I never really understood this. Unless you are really superstitious, order one and hang it on your bike! Seems kinda weird to ask someone to give you one..

Mine is just in front of the exhaust can.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 05:11 AM

My friend and co-worker Henry rides a "BigDog".
He was my riding partner when I had my learners permit.
couple years ago we were unloading a show into the Opera House and Henry made a bit of a show of presenting me with a small felt bag with a bell inside.
(it was my first day of riding with a full license).
Very cool to know someones thinking of you.
Love the bell!
Good Karma.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg henry and I...first ride..jpg (6.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg P1020023.jpg (61.8 KB, 88 views)

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 04-05-2012 at 05:19 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 06:10 AM

Garage
I was going to hang a bell off that little useless mount hole on the right side below the body work. Then I decided to put a grenade pin in the hole instead. Draws a lot of attention for such a subtle little add on.

Always trust your cape.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Forget the pin, I love the decal on the fairing! "Kwikasfaki"
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 AM

My wife bought me mine back when we were dating. I hang it from the guide loop for the clutch cable. She's from a catholic family, so I usually call it my "bell of perpetual pain and sorrow" when she points it out ;-)

Its the thought that counts. Gremlin bell, rabbits feet, whatever it may be, if you get one just remember someone cares about you. I don't know that I'd buy one for myself lol

2008 Versys - 37k miles
Givi - V35 Monokey Saddlebags - Large windscreen - Tail rack with v46 trunk
Speedy's - 1" Handlebar risers - Footpeg Lowering blocks
Osram 65W Bright replacements
Kawasaki Handguards
... And the all important gremlin bell, courtesy of my wife.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 AM

I noticed that my Ural has one hanging on the driveshaft guard. I tried to take it off, but it was on there pretty tight so I left it. I forgot about it until I saw this thread.

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:03 AM

I always thought those bells were something that the cruiser guys got in lieu of rider training.
To ward off the Gremlins huh?
Put one on a Versys and you might be convinced it works, but that Ural will be a sterner test!
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_thinking

According to theories of anxiety relief and control, people turn to magical beliefs when there exists a sense of uncertainty and potential danger and little to do about it. Magic is used to restore a sense of control.

(Wearing your favorite team hat doesn't help them win either.)

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
The goal is to eliminate NVH as well as possible. Adding a dang bell to create an annoying noise which may mask a potentially critical breakdown, or fall off with catastrophic results is completely illogical... It can in fact attract imaginative 'gremlins' as well as it can repel them. Gremlins absolutely love the sound of them little bells!
On a similar note: lots of folks buy and wear little bells when hiking in bear country, to ward off the bears.

Folklore has it, that when the Rangers shoot bears that have killed and eaten someone, they find those little bells inside the bears guts....

(I live in grizzly bear country, and have for a LONG time!)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode