Center Stand Availability? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Center Stand Availability?

Anyone have any success in finding a center stand? DallasDon is no longer offering them for sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 03:19 PM

I'm not making them anymore but my son has a standard size for sale. You can reach him at [email protected].

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I emailed him. Hope we're able to do a deal...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 02:51 PM

I also have a standard size basically unused (just on the bike for 15 minutes). Didn't work with my 150x70/17 rear tire (slightly larger than stock diameter).
I am happy to sell it. -- Hank.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Hank,
I'm interested. Send me a pm with details...
Ed
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdon View Post
I'm not making them anymore but my son has a standard size for sale. You can reach him at [email protected].
Update:

He bought a Honda VTX 1800 cruiser.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 04-09-2012 at 02:37 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Kawasaki and the big aftermarket manufacturers are really missing out by not offering a centerstand for the Versys. I'm sure at least half the owners would want one. I don't miss it around town, but when I travel loaded up, I would prefer to be able to park it on a centerstand. I know the centerstand makes it much easier to climb onto my VFR when the back seat is loaded up with camping gear; it would make mounting the loaded Versys infinitely easier for a short-legged guy like me.

2009 Versys. It blue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 AM

The thing is, with the underslung exhaust, Kawasaki didn't factor in a centre stand for the Versys. Hence, and no disrepect intended, the absolute ugliness of the aftermarket designed item by our esteemed member. There is just no neat way of making an unobtrusive stand for the Versys that I can see.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 02:47 PM

Never mind................

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 04-10-2012 at 06:20 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 05:43 PM

Production costs are all the more reason that larger manufacturers like MotoWerk or Touratech should be all over it. If you can make one-off units for under $300 each, those larger companies should be able to pump them out for around $200 or less.

Personally, the lack of a center stand is the main thing keeping my Versys from being the perfect solo-tourer. And for the deal I got on my leftover '09, I'd gladly pay ~$200 for a centerstand; I'm already $500 in on other, less-functional, farkles.

2009 Versys. It blue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo12 View Post
Production costs are all the more reason that larger manufacturers like MotoWerk or Touratech should be all over it. If you can make one-off units for under $300 each, those larger companies should be able to pump them out for around $200 or less.
I had those produced in lots of 40 each for a total run of 80. Then I had to include the costs of bolts/nuts, spring and bearings. By the time I included packing and shipping there was a slim profit margin. This is not to mention the almost 2 years of trial/error development, prototype models costs, and no small amount of blood letting before getting one that would work!

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 PM
djg

I bought one, I like it. It is a bit weird looking, but fits the look of the Versys. I remember that the response to dallasdon's stand was underwhelming. Too bad.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to demenshea Send a message via Yahoo to demenshea
What are you guys doing to lube the chain on long trips without a center stand? I spray and move forward or back a bit at a time. Is there any better solution? I am also not above simply going to a dealer and getting a quick clean and lube. Seems silly, but hey, I'm a solo rider and frustrated by no center stand!!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM

I for one like the idea of having a centerstand on a bike but, I can get by without one. I'll just get some spools and a stand and that will allow me to do the servicing that I need.

As far as lubing the chain, I'll probably get a Scottoiler to handle those chores. They greatly increase the service life of the chain and sprockets and make chain adjustments practically an annual thing. They also excell at keeping the chain clean. I ran a pro oiler on my strom and it worked great.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demenshea View Post
What are you guys doing to lube the chain on long trips without a center stand? I spray and move forward or back a bit at a time. Is there any better solution? I am also not above simply going to a dealer and getting a quick clean and lube. Seems silly, but hey, I'm a solo rider and frustrated by no center stand!!
Get a packjack!!! Its awesome. Use it on MULTIPLE bikes. Check out my post/video on it:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...light=Packjack

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 05:04 PM

I cut the handle(metal) off an old mop,falttened one end and notched it,put some rubber on other end. I losen my swingarm spool and slip it behind it,lift and kick. I also leave it connected in high winds when I stay in hotel etc. Crude,but has worked fine for 3 years and lots of use. For transport I put in and old black sock and strap it between my tail bag and grab handle.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I cut up an old crutch (that way it can be lengthened if need be, and already has a rubber tip), and a piece of two-sided tape (Velcro) about 9" long, and have 'spools' on my Vs. First lock the front brake w/ the tape, then lean it left till the crutch fits under the spool, and away you go! Spray and spin.

DON'T ever try this without locking the front brakes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versys crutch1.jpg (33.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg versys crutch2.jpg (55.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg versys crutch3.jpg (62.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg versys crutch4.jpg (41.1 KB, 105 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode