Stock 2010+ windscreen positions. Steep one? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigOleChalupa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Stock 2010+ windscreen positions. Steep one?

My 2011 came with the windscreen in the low position. Mostly I like it. In a headwind there can be some buffeting.

I tried the high one today, and when it was windy I hated it. Lots of buffeting right on my head. If I stood up a little the buffeting was at neck level and the head was in smooth air, so I guess that position might be good for taller people.

I haven't tried the steep position. My thought was it would increase buffeting, but I wonder what you think.

Also, anyone tried no windscreen at all?

I'll probably move it to low before my next commute, but curious what y'all have to say about the other choices (steep & none).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 PM

Garage
I have tried both low and high angle for the windscreen and both settings are not good for me ( I am a 6 footer rider ). My helmet has got lots of buffeting, more so for higher settings as the wind now hits directly at my helmet.
You should try to consider aftermarket screens like MRA or ErMAx. They offer significantly better protection than stock, and makes the bike look that bit more awesome/aggresive.
Cheers.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 AM

I have my oe screen in the low position. I'm 5'11" and wear an Arai TourX. I tried both the Powerbronze flip screen and the MRA (Kawasaki) VarioScreen. Neither were any good, so I'm happy enough with the oe screen.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 12:53 PM

I have the Madstad bracket and I was running with the Givi for a while. Have since removed it and put the stock one back on at the lowest, tilted back, which effectively is me running without any windscreen at all. I must say that the air is "cleaner", no turbulence at all, but you don't get any protection from bugs ( not a problem here at the moment ). Once the insects start getting worse, I may go back, but I do like the cleaner air without the windscreen.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. The 2nd gen Versys has a different setup from 1st gen, in case any of you were talking about that one. This has low, high and steeper. I'm back to low. Didn't bother trying steeper. High and low aren't that far apart, but feel much different.

The low setting was fine so far, might stick with it. Might go with a Cal Sci or Givi screen.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:51 PM

I have a 2010, originally set to steepest setting, but have been running it at "medium" and like it there. Scorpion helmet has good airflow. Don't see any need for a larger screen unless I was doing long interstate miles.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy F View Post
I have my oe screen in the low position. I'm 5'11" and wear an Arai TourX. I tried both the Powerbronze flip screen and the MRA (Kawasaki) VarioScreen. Neither were any good, so I'm happy enough with the oe screen.
Man not real fun adjusting. I lost one of the rubber anchors by pushing it all the way thru with only my allen key to work with. Eventually (.5 hour) found it under parked car beside me. Do in garage from now on with full compliment of tools. After all three positions I think the steepest is actually best for me. I am exactally 6' 32" inseam. Also, It has been very windy here-so that's made it rather hard to judge. I may just leave off, because when I just left it in saddlebag that was my best riding until getting over 60MPH.:-( I think between the seat and windshield design, and lack of rubber mounts/threads in all 3 holes, that this is some kind of retribution for Nagasaki!!
Would love some advice especially from Vets around my size..

2012 Pittsburgh Steeler Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:21 PM

I've tried the low (stock) position and the high position. I went back to the low position and have no problems with it.
I'm 5'8" and wear an Arai XD3 helmet along with foam earplugs... and I am very happy with the stock screen in the low position.
I did pick up some new rubber wellnuts and placed them in the empty holes to avoid trying to wrestle them out to change screen positions or lose them at an inappropriate time like Morgan2112 did.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:42 PM

I've only had my 2012 for a few weeks now and have tried all the positions. I get brutal buffeting at all levels.
For around town, I just take the screen off alltogether. The air is super clean....and I think it actually looks really good without it. Naked....almost like an ER6-N
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:38 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOleChalupa View Post
I've only had my 2012 for a few weeks now and have tried all the positions. I get brutal buffeting at all levels.
For around town, I just take the screen off alltogether. The air is super clean....and I think it actually looks really good without it. Naked....almost like an ER6-N
I've had my baby for 3 weeks and just got a new RSD bell Vortex and can't decide between steep and completely off the bike. I guess I'll have to remove again because I thought it looked kinda awkward, but was distracted by well nuts and high winds.
You would think the 2010 redesign could have made more of an improvement!! Nobody other than DAVY at 6' and can report what position works best???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan2112 View Post
I've had my baby for 3 weeks and just got a new RSD bell Vortex and can't decide between steep and completely off the bike. I guess I'll have to remove again because I thought it looked kinda awkward, but was distracted by well nuts and high winds.
You would think the 2010 redesign could have made more of an improvement!! Nobody other than DAVY at 6' and can report what position works best???
I don't think she looks too awkward!!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Arrow

Quote:
I don't think she looks too awkward!!

Nice Bike! It's the top view that is a little worse. What seat is that and how big and tall are you Mr. Chalupa?? I may have to try with mine off again, but steep has gotten better as the wind storms finally stopped.

How long did u stay on steep? Someone said medium??? Let's agree to say low, High & steep, right??

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan2112 View Post
Nice Bike! It's the top view that is a little worse. What seat is that and how big and tall are you Mr. Chalupa?? I may have to try with mine off again, but steep has gotten better as the wind storms finally stopped.

How long did u stay on steep? Someone said medium??? Let's agree to say low, High & steep, right??
Thanks .............. That is the Seat Concepts cushion and cover. Very much like a Sargent seat in design. I've fallen ompletely in love with it, and now enjoy riding without thinking about my butt being sore. Or my nuts getting squished up That being said I've ordered an SW Mototech 20mm riser. The seat is about an inch or so taller than stock, so I find there is a bit of pressure on the wrists....
BTW, I'm 6'1" with a 33 inseam.
I stayed on steep for a couple of weeks, but had to stop. I couldn't even cruise around town with it on that setting.
I've ordered a GIVI screen, in hopes that it takes care of the buffeting/noise. I'll be sure to post a review when I get it.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5453/788/
Morgan2112 likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks .............. That is the Seat Concepts cushion and cover. Very much like a Sargent seat in design. I've fallen ompletely in love with it, and now enjoy riding without thinking about my butt being sore. Or my nuts getting squished up That being said I've ordered an SW Mototech 20mm riser. The seat is about an inch or so taller than stock, so I find there is a bit of pressure on the wrists....
BTW, I'm 6'1" with a 33 inseam.
I stayed on steep for a couple of weeks, but had to stop. I couldn't even cruise around town with it on that setting.
I've ordered a GIVI screen, in hopes that it takes care of the buffeting/noise. I'll be sure to post a review when I get it.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/5453/788/
Thanks BIGchalupa! Please do as I am just an inch shorter and 1 shorter @ inseam than you. I am still on steep as it seemed marginally better that other two? Wish we could here from other Gen2 (2010+) and their vast experiences with the 3 positions. Was the low position better than steep for a six footer? The high seemed to rock me head the most while on slab at 65 mph. Please Advise.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 09:55 AM

Givi in highest position. Minimal buffeting. It is a motorcycle afterall, there will always be some level of buffeting and discomfort

IBA # 49372
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:08 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
Givi in highest position. Minimal buffeting. It is a motorcycle afterall, there will always be some level of buffeting and discomfort
Thank you sir!! BTW, what's your height, and what position did you find best for the Gen2 stock screen??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode