Will the Givi bags hold up in a crash? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Will the Givi bags hold up in a crash?

Hi There,

I'm a new Versys owner and this is my first bike with hard luggage. I'm considering a crash bar for the engine but wondering if I'm wasting my money if my Givi bags never come off the bike (which they won’t because they are awesome). I figure if I go down, the bag would take the full impact and keep the engine off the pavement enabling me to limp home for repairs. Does anyone have any insight with this? Should I drop the cash for the crash bar anyway?

Thanks in Advance.

Honda CBR125R Sold
Kawasaki Ninja 650R Sold
Yamaha Zuma 50 Sold
Kawasaki Ninja250R Sold
Kawasaki Versys Current Bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:19 PM

You're talking about the Give V35s? What will and won't hold up in a crash is hard to predict, but my Givi V46 held up better than my last bike.

See how tire, tail & case don't line up?

When traveling with side cases, I've carried some duct tape in my emergency kit, and one of the potential uses was temporary repair if a case cracked.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:07 PM

Garage
I think it all depends on how the crash happens. More protection is better in my opinion. An engine guard is good as it will protect the bike in case the bike crashes in a way and it will protect the engine from scratches and any other damages.
My 2 cents.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:15 PM

I spent the money on crash guards for the engine because it you crash flat on the pavement, you will probably be ok, but crash off a corner into a ditch or crash somewhere that's not flat, and you have broken cases. I would rather spend money and feel safe than be screwed 2000 miles from home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 03:13 AM

What Motopsycho said. Uneven surface may get to your engine.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 05:45 AM

I have Givi v35's on my Versys. I've always considered them fragile, myself. I expect that they will crack and crush in a crash. I even worry about them in a drop. And to any degree that they do hold up the back, they will be driving the front into the ground.

No, I don't expect any protection at all from the cases. In fact, since the cases themselves (and their mounting racks) cost $1,000, I consider them a liability, not an asset. More damaged parts to be replaced.

If it's protection you want, buy frame-mounted metal and put it around the thing you want to protect.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 09:01 AM

I lowsided at about 5 - 10 MPH in a parking lot once with the V35's on and sw motech engine protection on. I got a nice scratch on the SW motech and the V35 bags. I also ended up with a bent handlebar. I wished I didn't have the V35's on because that damage is more costly than the SW motech and/or the handlebars. I sanded down the motech's a bit and spray painted them back to looking like new again and got a different handlebar (ATV High's) that is more comfortalbe and has less vibration.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Well, sadly I just had to test my own theory. I had a low side leaving my driveway this morning. Ontario April + Cold tires + cold pavement = should have known better. The only plus (if there is one) I had my go pro recording. I plan on post the video to YouTube in the hopes for 100,000 views to offset the expensive repair bill. Lots of damage. The bags held up but are badly damaged. Givi wind shield smashed, busted mirrors, clutch lever & foot peg. The fairing took a scrap but the engine area was clean. I still need to go over the bike properly but I was able to ride it home the 50ft I rode before the crash.

This is why I can never have nice things...

Honda CBR125R Sold
Kawasaki Ninja 650R Sold
Yamaha Zuma 50 Sold
Kawasaki Ninja250R Sold
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 04:32 PM

Wow sucks dude. You set yourself up for it I guess by asking the question. Should have been extra careful after that!

glad you're ok though. Don't have that "cold" problem down here...it was near 90 when I left for work this afternoon.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM

Really sorry to hear about your fall and hope you are OK. I too felt some pangs when I read about your off. I typically think of the bags as some protection by supporting the bike and saving your foot and ankle from getting pinned, a possibility in a quick lowside.
I suggest loosening the both forks in the triple clamps, with the bike supported, to see if they easily slide up and down. Often things get slightly twisted in a fall.
I am sure the Versys soon will be good as new(ish).
Let me know if I can be of any help.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Youtube video can be veiwed here .

I like to think of myself as an experienced cold weather rider (four Canadian winters so far) but **** happens sometimes. On the plus side it's only $220 in parts to get her road worthy again.

Honda CBR125R Sold
Kawasaki Ninja 650R Sold
Yamaha Zuma 50 Sold
Kawasaki Ninja250R Sold

Last edited by killerkeith; 04-05-2012 at 09:18 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:49 PM

The SW Motech crash bars are well worth it. I've dropped my bike and slid at low speed on gravel. The only damage was some paint off the crash bars. They've already paid for themselves.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

From my experience today, it looks like in a low speed low side crash the bags will hold up and protect the engine. The fairings and clutch lever didn't fare so well but the bags still work and have no structural damage. I swapped out the painted panels for the flat black, and it's almost as good as new. She's less pretty and more bad ass.

Honda CBR125R Sold
Kawasaki Ninja 650R Sold
Yamaha Zuma 50 Sold
Kawasaki Ninja250R Sold
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 10:48 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
Hi There,

I'm a new Versys owner and this is my first bike with hard luggage. I'm considering a crash bar for the engine but wondering if I'm wasting my money if my Givi bags never come off the bike (which they won’t because they are awesome). I figure if I go down, the bag would take the full impact and keep the engine off the pavement enabling me to limp home for repairs. Does anyone have any insight with this? Should I drop the cash for the crash bar anyway?

Thanks in Advance.
Was down last year after a lady turned left in front of me. I had my bags attached, as well as the Kawasaki frame guards. The bag that hit the car was basically destroyed and didn't really help much of anything. The frame guard did its job and my engine was untouched (lost the brake pedal and footrest, but not my foot!).

Moral is get a frame protector or engine guard. Definite money and grief saver...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 PM

My room mate also has a Versys and he went down on saturday. He is fine thank god. He was on an onramp and there was a patch of sand going all the across the road in the middle of the curve and there wasn't space to avoid it.
He went down at 40 mph with his Givi V35s on the bike and the right bag took a good beating but held up pretty good and didn't come off the rack . It also kept the bike from falling on him. Luckily he was geared up and only suffered minor scratches and got the hell scared out of him. The bike was driveable but she'll need a little bit of work, The handle bars are a little off and the front brake caliber took a good whack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode