Tire Mounting - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Tire Mounting

What is your local shop charging to mount and balance a set of tire? Bringing the wheels in off the bike....??

Local shop (not a dealer) wants $25 per wheel...

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 04:23 PM

I've done it enough times in the past to gladly pay $25 per wheel.
Some jobs are just not worth doing anymore
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 PM

My time is free to me.

Tubeless tires are so easy it's hardly worth mentioning. The hardest part is breaking the bead, and that can be done with a stick of wood cut as a wedge on one end, a breaker tool and hammer, or a kickstand of another bike.

Windex for lube, they pop right on and off, front or back, with a couple of tire irons. If the tire size is matched to the wheel the bead is also cake to seat.

I use a couple of crates for a static balancer which keeps me smooth to over 100mph.

If you've never changed motorcycle tires before and don't want to mess with it, $25 is a fair price.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

I think Cyclegear here in San Antonio charged me about $20 per wheel. Well worth it to me.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 PM

I got my tires off, and one bead on but could not for the life of me fully mount the tires with spoons. Local shop charged me $20 to finish mounting and balance, said he usually does $20 per wheel..
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok so its not outrageous....probably just have them do it to avoid the aggravation factor and the on set of turrets syndrome.

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:42 PM

It is a fair price if it's done carefully and properly.

I do it all myself too and balance it by hand, but it's not a job for your average Joe.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:58 PM

Cyclegear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
What is your local shop charging to mount and balance a set of tire? Bringing the wheels in off the bike....??

Local shop (not a dealer) wants $25 per wheel...
I think my local cycle gear has the best deal. If you buy them there they will mount and balance for free. Just have to pick them up later. I don't think they do same day.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM

Boy you are the man . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
It is a fair price if it's done carefully and properly.

I do it all myself too and balance it by hand, but it's not a job for your average Joe.
I don't think I could handle mounting a tire all by myself. Maybe I could get my friend chad emmerson and eric berry to help me out.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by angst; 04-02-2012 at 08:09 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:10 PM

with me it's not a question of if I can....I would just spend my time with my kids, wife, dog or riding. been there, done that, now leave it for the kids to do or bug me about advice.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
I don't think I could handle mounting a tire all by myself. Maybe I could get my friend chad emmerson and eric berry to help me out.
Who the hell are they? Football 'superstars'?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 PM

Garage
I went to a local shop(not dealer) looking for some new boots. He didnt have what I wanted, but just for fun I asked what he would charge to mount a tire. He told me $30 a tire if I bought from him as well. So I ordered a new michelin, and took the rear rim into see him a few days later. I figured that he jacks up the price, but when I searched online he was within $5 of the cheapest source I could find. When I showed up he told me $30 was for him to take it off the bike as well, so I only had to pay $20.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 PM

$85 for one wheel, yes i was pissed, no i won't be going back... $25 is very reasonable

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:15 PM

Garage
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Installer.aspx

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 03:10 AM

I did mine as a package when I ordered from the shop. I wouldn't dare attempt to do it on my own unless there is absolutely no choice.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

I saw that but most of the places want about $60 per tire!!

I'm sure that includes pulling the wheel off the bike but still and extra $120 I might as well have just bought it locally....which I like to do but its still cheaper paying for the install.

Halfthrottle
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:17 AM

If you buy tires from them my local shop (well 25 miles from me local) charges about 32.50 a tire.

Yes I spend a bit more but they can do it faster than I could in my driveway and not having to plan for rain/heat/cold.

If I had a garage/workshop I would so attempt it myself. I'm slowly trying to get back to were I can fricking move without pain so I can start refurbishing my shed to be an outside office/workshop. Somehow in January I managed to jack my lower back so bad that it has been in a constant state of pain until just recently. Now I'm dealing with the weakened muscles and stiffness.

If I can get through the next two days without pain I'm clearing myself for going back to the gym for light conditioning workouts.

"Why do I ride?"

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:53 AM

$15 Can't beat it.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 AM

Tubeless tires are easy. If you are spending more than an hour doing the whole thing something is very wrong. I guess my time is cheap but if I can save $50 and do it in my garage I'm all over it.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 09:49 AM

I also change mine myself .I have the old harbor-freight tire changer and a nomar bar . It really is not that bad of a job . Between the couple of bikes I have the money saved adds up .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode