Versys leg exercises?.Rocketts..Ninjas?.. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys leg exercises?.Rocketts..Ninjas?..

I have no problem while riding, stopping, ect, and I've mastered the stand on left foot peg swingover, the "daughter's helmet cargo netted to the back seat" is my challenge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 05:53 PM

Garage
I do the stand on the peg mount sometimes if I'm not feeling flexible. Other times I can swing the leg over scraping the cargo net. I have seen less than limber folks approach right side to the bike, raise up the right leg and grab the cuff with your right hand and set your foot on the saddle and follow through with the mount.You have to kind of hop with the follow through. Looks funny. I've done it and it works.

Ride while you can
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 PM

It is not unlike putting your leg in a sturp and mounting a horse. Done it many times with great success. Still, slipping of that peg could have dire consequences.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
it can be real exciting if you started the bike before you step on the peg & slip. MOST the time I can't get my leg over the pillion but can sweep it thru the rider position using the left pannier for balance with the right hand.....too many falls in the earlier years
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

That's awesome, I never thought of that! It works. Thanks.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 07:40 PM

How about the trampoline-jump-over-the-tail-of-the-bike mounting style? It's a bit flashy, but allows you to get over any luggage in a tail bag with a running start.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I don't swing a leg over. I grab the left hand grip with my left and step through with my right leg.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 07:53 AM

I almost always have my gym bag on the back so I almost always step on the left peg in order to be able to swing my leg over the cargo. Much more comfortable this way for me.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 AM

I'm an old, short guy at 5' 7"...but still am able to mount my V by kicking my leg straight up (as if you are kicking something waist high) and over the seat. This technique is especially useful if the passenger seat is loaded. Even on an unloaded V, I don't trust the side stand enough to stand on the peg.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 10:25 AM

Also old & short
I always did the swing-a-leg-over mount, even with the KLR. The exception being with gear on the rack and pillion, when I would go stirrup style. Now on the V with a top box I go stirrup most of the time. I think it was Freddy who mentioned a right-side stirrup mount, putting less pressure on the side-stand. I tried it and it works, but my son says it looks all wrong.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom edison View Post
I do the stand on the peg mount sometimes if I'm not feeling flexible. Other times I can swing the leg over scraping the cargo net. I have seen less than limber folks approach right side to the bike, raise up the right leg and grab the cuff with your right hand and set your foot on the saddle and follow through with the mount.You have to kind of hop with the follow through. Looks funny. I've done it and it works.
When I had a KLR, we called the "right leg out, then hop towards the bike till it's over the saddle" the KLR mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
I'm an old, short guy at 5' 7"...but still am able to mount my V by kicking my leg straight up (as if you are kicking something waist high) and over the seat. This technique is especially useful if the passenger seat is loaded. Even on an unloaded V, I don't trust the side stand enough to stand on the peg.
The first few times I used the right-side footpeg to get on, I had a friend standby the front IN CASE it started tipping (which NEVER happened). The "trick" is immediately reaching over to the left handgrip, transferring weight to that side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Also old & short
I always did the swing-a-leg-over mount, even with the KLR. The exception being with gear on the rack and pillion, when I would go stirrup style. Now on the V with a top box I go stirrup most of the time. I think it was Freddy who mentioned a right-side stirrup mount, putting less pressure on the side-stand. I tried it and it works, but my son says it looks all wrong.
May LOOK wrong, but sure works!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 AM

it seems to help if I'm applying the front brake when stumbling aboard
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 11:53 AM

I'm tall and lanky (6'3, 170lbs), and my big legs allow me to simply step right over the seat. No bending, flexing, grabbing, or jumping required!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 PM

I'm tall and skinny as well, but several demonstrations of the laws of conservation of mass and energy have left a number of joints and appendages of limited use.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'm tall & fat with 2 bad knees. I get close to the bike and put my right knee on the seat then i lift my foot up and twist my hip to swing the leg over. with your knee on the seat its easy to grab your pant leg if needed to pull you foot up more.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:17 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks "Man this bike is kinda hard to get onto in the traditional manner"
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Also old & short
Humm...this makes sense. It sounds like a much better alternative to the left side peg mount.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode