Swingarm bearing service - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Swingarm bearing service

As soon as I get the chance I'm installing a newly acquired shock for my "08" V. I have about 55,000 miles on it so far. I'm also going to remove the swingarm and clean and re-grease the bearings. It looks pretty straight forward, but i'll take any advice from anyone who has done this job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:07 PM

I just did it last week-end. It is pretty straightforward. I found
this(click) discussion on the UK site helpful, with good pictures and discussion about the weird hard packing grease in the needle bearings. I think if I was at your mileage I'd bite the bullet and replace the bearings, though.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:09 PM

It is a simple job. I used a piece of 2 x 4 through the rear trellis, resting on jack stands, to get the weight off the swingarm. There are needle bearings in the swingarm pivot, as well as a sealed bearing on the right hand side at the shock mounting point. The sealed bearing on my bike was seized up, I had to replace it. Might want to check that. IIRC there's some interference with the lower shock mounting bolts and the trellis, so I had to remove the upper bolt first to drop the wheel a bit to get at the lower bolt. I guess you'll be doing that anyway since you're changing shocks. Are you doing the R1 conversion?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Installing an Elka purchaced from another inmate. I prolly using a weight benchpress rack and barbell through the trellis. I have my fingers crossed on the condition of the bearings, but I'm prepared to replace what is nessessary to make it right. Thanks!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 04:24 PM

I've got an Elka on mine, it is excellent. You're going to love it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

OK, the weight bench plan fell through. Instead I found the barbell through the trellis, supported by two portable/collapsible sawhorses works great. The long supporting surfaces of the sawhorses allow for the shift/rotation action of my Pittbull stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode