Versys write-off? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Versys write-off?

I was riding dirt roads near Phoenix with a friend about two months ago. We'd already done 40 or 50 miles, he was leading on an '09, OEM rubber, with a 'Crampbuster' on his throttle, when he went into a right-hand turn a little 'hot', got onto the brakes which straightened up his bike, aiming him at the left side shoulder, soft and sandy. He hit the shoulder, managed to get off the brakes so his line became a curve, kind of following the road but on the shoulder, but NOT slowing at all. His V fishtailed a bit, looked like he had 'caught it', but STILL not slowing, and then straight at a rock (maybe 18" high) which he hit with the right side of his bike. He and the V went down, and I ran over to help. (He was OK - wind knocked out of him, but his V was leaking antifreeze from the water-pump area.)

While we were waiting for a tow-truck to pick up his bike, our discussion lead to the conclusion that, as he "panicked", the heel of his palm had kept pressure on the Crampbuster which was why he hadn't slowed till he hit the rock. He has since thrown it away into the desert.

The V went to the dealer where it looked like it would be repaired for around $3500.

He called a few days ago to be told that, as they were replacing the water-pump, they discovered that a "rod" that goes into the engine's interior had caused MORE damage to the engine, so now it looks like it will become a "write-off". He did NOT have any engine guards on his bike, and looking at the S-Ws I have on my '09 while remembering the crash, I BELIEVE that if he'd had them, they might have been what contacted the rock, saving his engine.

This friend is the SECOND friend to have a 'crash' that may have been caused by, or certainly helped to occur, by the presence of a Crampbuster.

Be careful out there!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:38 PM

One should be careful in the beginning with Crampbuster/ThrottleRocker, but when you get used to it, it's not* an issue.

When I started using this thingy I was slow and insecure trough righthand corners because I wasn't pushing the bars enough due to the ThrottleRocker being there. Since then I learned to push the bars more with the inside of the thumb area instead of the far end of the bar where ThrottleRocker sits.
For experiment's sake, I removed it for a while to see if there is any ill effect to using and I couldn't find any. I put it back because I like the comfort.

One caveat is that people like messing with it out of curiosity and twist it up or down. Then when you get on the throttle it's not where it used to be and you make a mistake.

*edit

Last edited by Ivan V; 03-25-2012 at 08:43 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:53 PM

I use a crampbuster and rotate it around based on what kind of road I'm on (city, highway). I wouldn't use one on a rough surface.

I now have a gocruise for those times I want to do something with my right hand. It is easier to use than my prior Kaoko throttle lock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GoCruise_640.jpg (87.2 KB, 94 views)

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:31 AM

Garage
I use the narrow cramp buster and keep it all the way to the right. The V isn't ready for dirt yet. When it is I'll use the cramp buster like I do with the KLX250S, just turn it forward so it's not an issue. I'm using it because I'm developing osteo arthritis and it relieves the pain. Great on the highway not so much for the dirt.

Ride while you can
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
One should be careful in the beginning with Crampbuster/ThrottleRocker, but when you get used to it, it's an issue.
I believe you meant "non-issue".

I have used a throttle rocker for over 8 years with no adverse affects. I have never had the throttle do anything I was not expecting, everything is natural. I do practice emergency braking at least monthly.

I have seen people panic and hold the throttle open even without such a device installed. I believe this is more of a muscle memory / training issue more than blaming the device for the cause of an accident.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:03 AM

You can replace the whole engine and transmission for $900.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-09-10-11-...90fd0a&vxp=mtr

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode