Motorcyclist or biker - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Motorcyclist or biker

Ok I've mostly had cruiser bikes over my riding life span up until a month ago when I bought the V, not counting the mini bikes and dirtbikes I've had since 1970 and a bunch of down time years raising the kids.

The question for you guys...Do you consider yourself a biker or a motorcyclist? I see myself as a motorcyclist / bike enthusiast not a biker per say, I've had everything from ape hangers and stuff but still didn't think of myself as a biker, mine set I guess. I enjoy everything that has a combustible engine and always have as long as I can remember.

There isn't a right or wrong answer, just thought it would make a good discussion topic...

Sold 2005 honda vtx 1300 bought an '09 versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:55 AM

right or wrong, I think "biker" has a negative connotation associated with it.

Hoping to become a rider soon
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 AM

I agree that the term biker carries with it connotations that don't fit me. I consider myself a motorcyclist or a rider.

People who meet me in a business situation or on a family vacation and ask what I do in my spare time learn that I ride motorcycles. It is fascinating to me what people have said when they learn this...

"You don't look like a biker." (Huh...what does a biker look like?)

"What kind of Harley do you have?" (Actually I have a Kawasaki and a Honda.) "I thought all motorcycles were Harleys."

"I hate motorcycles, they're so loud." (My bikes are probably quieter than your car.)

Nope, I'm not a biker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:19 AM

When I say biker, i have to clarify whether I mean motorcycle or bicycle!

Bikes: 2008 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - RIP 1999 Suzuki Katana
Cars: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi, 2007 Subaru Forester XTs
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I agree that the term biker carries with it connotations that don't fit me. I consider myself a motorcyclist or a rider.

People who meet me in a business situation or on a family vacation and ask what I do in my spare time learn that I ride motorcycles. It is fascinating to me what people have said when they learn this...

"You don't look like a biker." (Huh...what does a biker look like?)

"What kind of Harley do you have?" (Actually I have a Kawasaki and a Honda.) "I thought all motorcycles were Harleys."

"I hate motorcycles, they're so loud." (My bikes are probably quieter than your car.)

Nope, I'm not a biker.
Yep, I agree. I'm not a biker either. Perhaps because I don't own a leather vest with a ton of patches or pins on it. Not that such attire makes, or doesn't make, one a biker, necessarily.

In fact, having visited Sturgis while living in Rapid City, SD, it was fascinating to meet "bikers" riding Harleys who, in everyday life, were surgeons, corporate lawyers, or big time CEOs - all decked out in "biker" gear. Reminded me of the line "I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy."

I've always considered myself a motorcyclist or rider - just seems to fit better. I have, however, been mistaken for an ax murderer once or twice. Apparently ax murderers look like me!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

man, why you gotta label me???

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:40 PM

I always say "I ride bikes" .... However then the subsequence question is: Mountain bike or street?
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
man, why you gotta label me???
That's because Rick is...

A BEAR ON A BICYCLE...!

Oh and BTW - I'm a motorcycle rider or motorcyclist!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 05:00 PM

biker = lifestyle
motorcyclist = rider of a motorcycle

Last edited by Sprocket; 03-23-2012 at 05:02 PM.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 PM

Neither. Asphalt Navigator.

Though... I always wear full gear, so I'm often referred to as a power ranger though ;-)
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I am going on a poker run with real bikers in a couple of weeks so the president of the club has asked me to obey the speed limit since i taken the ninja 1000, the run is open to all bikers but any patched members from a different club needs special invite and if you not invited you not allowed but all us mere mortal motorcyclists are welcome, have asked my two friend who are going with me to not speak any HD jokes please.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
biker = lifestyle
motorcyclist = rider of a motorcycle
Well I thought I was a motorcyclist, but now I guess I am both. I live to ride and ride to live. But I don't go to bars, or party, or sleep around.

I ride 24,000 miles a year. Almost all the pants I own have Kevlar in the seat and knees. Almost all the T-shirts I own are motorcycle related.

My wife even lets be have a corner of the living room for my Motorcycle sculptures.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:35 PM

Smile

Neither a biker, motorcyclist, nor a rider. I'm not specifically labelled as such... I have a motorcycle, and I go for rides on it. I am what I am, and I ride my motorcycle.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:43 PM

Garage
I'm Joseph.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:00 PM

With the large number of stupid inconsiderate Harley guys and the large number of idiot sport bike riders I rarely mention my motorcycle hobby to people who don't ride. I wear full safety gear and a helmet so I have little in common with 95% of the "bikers" in my area. I ride bicycles alot more than motorbikes so people know me as a biker who has really nice bicycles (two of them cost more than my Versys).
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:25 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I ride; good enough for me...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Well I thought I was a motorcyclist, but now I guess I am both. I live to ride and ride to live. But I don't go to bars, or party, or sleep around.

I ride 24,000 miles a year. Almost all the pants I own have Kevlar in the seat and knees. Almost all the T-shirts I own are motorcycle related.

My wife even lets be have a corner of the living room for my Motorcycle sculptures.
I would say you are more of a motorcycle enthusiast than a biker. At least to me the word biker has negative connotations.

biker (noun)
1) fashion niche (bandanna, leather vest, chaps, red wing boots)
2) motorcycle gang member/associate

Last edited by Sprocket; 03-23-2012 at 11:18 PM.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 01:41 AM

I'd go for motorcycle enthusiast.
The term biker always comes from people that have no clue about motorcycles. And it makes me cringe.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 05:05 AM

This is funny because my brother and I were having this very conversation last week. However, since no one could look at our hi-viz image and call us "bikers" with a straight face....we both agreed on "motorcyclist" over "rider".

Hows about "motorcycler"?

For us, the term "cycle" goes for the mountain bikes / recumbent trikes we ride.

~ Wes

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:48 AM

I am not an animal! I am a human being! I am a... "motorcyclist"!
(with apologies to Mr. John Merrick)

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING

Last edited by stagehand38; 03-24-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode