For those without GPS... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

For those without GPS...

...but do have a smartphone; I have been having fun with a new app called Ulysse Speedometer on my Evo 4g. I just need to figure out a way to mount it now. I just activate it and leave it in my pocket at the moment.

There is a free version but I paid the $2.25 for the Pro version. This way I can track and send my results. Here is a link to my morning commute this morning.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...XN1N3RkYy1rNEE

The app can do a lot more like:
Speed Edge GPS Speedometer.
High-accuracy* GPS-based speedometer that shows the real speed of your car in mph, km/h or knots. And for each speed unit you can define an individual gauge range.

Maximum indicated speed is 1900 km/h / 1160 mph / 1000 knots.

Speedometer overlay.
Small speedometer stays on the top of active application. Try It mode for 2 weeks. Unlimited in Pro.

Three shortcut pages: Application, Communication, Navigation for a total 18 user-defined application shortcuts (36 in Pro version).

Average Speedometer.
Tap Compass to switch to Average Speedometer, long press resets Average Speedometer for new measurement.

Speed warnings.
You can define up to 10 speed limits. The application will notify you visually and with an alert sound when you go over any of them.

GPS Compass.
Insensitive to electromagnetic fields and the iron of your car.

GPS Altitude.
Reports altitude, measured by your phones GPS.

HUD mode.
Mirrors the numbers so you can place your phone under your car's windshield and see the speed reflected on it in the dark.

Racing meter.
Measure and calculate time for standard performance measurement distances: 0-100 km/h, 0-60 mph and for 1/4 mile.

Log different trip parameters.
Display time and distance for current trip, accumulated time and distance for all current trips, yesterday, last week and last month.

Trip Meters list.
You can also save any Meter on SD, or send it by e-Mail (Pro only).

Separate limits settings for km/h and mph units.
You can easily switch all limit settings when traveling beyond the border of your country.

Customizable UI color.

Car dock support.
Application automatically starts and exits on docking and undocking.

Car Mode Home.
Activate Speedometer using HOME button when phone in Car Mode. You also can use "Forced" mode if your car dock doesn't handles autoswitch into Car Mode.

Battery status indication.

Background mode.
When activated, the application still works in the background. All logs keep counting time and distance and the application will notify you when you exceed the speed limit as usual.

Display speed in status bar.
In background mode, the application will show current speed in the status bar and even gives visual notification for speed limits! **

* depends on phone hardware.
** in case of system overloading, a small lag is possible.

Known limitation
- Trip distance may have 2-3% deviation from car's odometer data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 AM

but all I really want to know is how long until I have to be back
no gps
no smart phone
no blue tooth
no mp3
just a bike & the road
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:55 AM

How does it work with screen locks? My phone is locked and pin must be presented to unlock. Does it bypass this behavior or do I have to unsecure my device while traveling?

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
but all I really want to know is how long until I have to be back
no gps
no smart phone
no blue tooth
no mp3
just a bike & the road
Then just use the dash clock on the V. I was looking for an app to show me my speed to compare to the bike's speedometer since my gps unit was stolen out of my jeep.

Found this app that showed speed....but discovered it does much more.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
How does it work with screen locks? My phone is locked and pin must be presented to unlock. Does it bypass this behavior or do I have to unsecure my device while traveling?
I believe once you unlock it, you should be good to go.
(From The APP Site)
System tools
prevent device from sleeping
Allows an application to prevent the device from going to sleep.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 PM

Ram mount an aquabox. Instant gps :-)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 PM

Very cool, just don't let the wife see the results. Ie topspeed 86.12 mph.. lol..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 05:30 AM

+1 on the Ram mount / Aquabox rig.

In my opinion, the smartphone as a gps is useless in places where there is no network coverage. I used my Droid Bionic along with my aging TomTom on a trip recently. When the Droid had a good connection it was way better and smoother than the TomTom. When the coverage dropped, the Droid stood still while the TomTom chugged right along just fine.

Now, thinking about a Garmin with free lifetime updates. And I use My Tracks to track my routes with the Droid.

~ Wes

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:07 AM

I just bought Co Pilot with the USA maps that load on my Android phone. Should be useful with no cell coverage when my Garmin 1450LMT in an aquabox 6 has issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dash1450LMT_640.jpg (75.7 KB, 58 views)

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:37 AM

Hmmm...study map before I hit the road (fold and store).....compass (when weather demands it).
Batteries not included...wait, batteries not needed!).
Guess I never had much need for all the 'gadgets'. ( and oh how we've become gadget driven).
Working memory better and more safely accessed.
Though I will admit I do activate the 'tracking mode' on the ole cell-phone when I am covering large distances.

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand38 View Post
Hmmm...study map before I hit the road (fold and store).....compass (when weather demands it).
Batteries not included...wait, batteries not needed!).
Guess I never had much need for all the 'gadgets'. ( and oh how we've become gadget driven).
Working memory better and more safely accessed.
Though I will admit I do activate the 'tracking mode' on the ole cell-phone when I am covering large distances.
Guess I'm with stagehand - when I plan a long trip, I do it referring to maps, and then I load that route into my GPS which means I can look at the "bigger picture" while riding, and, perhaps, check on my map (which is in my tank-bag's map pocket) while camped.

To me, the GPS allows me to be able to quickly see that I'm on my pre-planned route without having to focus on a map (with its little letters), taking attention AWAY from where it's needed - DRIVING!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Perhaps I should have had a different topic "name". I really was just trying to share an app i found with the forum that shows speed to that of the Versys speedo.

I have not used it for routes as I have never rode more than an hour or so in any direction; and I know where I am going at that. I mostly commute with my V.

Just sharing it with the group. If you prefer not to use it...that is fine. I just wondered how fast i was going and do not have my gps unit which got stolen. this app seems to be 3 MPH lower than the stock speedo.

Heck, thought some might like the 0-60mph and the quarter mile registered times for fun and personal bests.

I'd rather use my smartphone with a Scala 4 to get my podcasts over getting turn by turn directions. Just to cheap to pull the trigger on the scala.

As far as gadgets go, were all online reading this forum. You can't do that from a payphone when you stop to read your paper map on your next ride.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 12:56 AM

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S1, which has notoriously poor GPS, so I have a GPS Status app to monitor the satellites. That gives me speed and basic info. I used to use a "dyno" app similar to what you describe but it wasn't that good so I uninstalled it. Also, Google has an app called My Tracks that lets you record a route with speed and elevation data and save it as a Google My Map to share with others. That's not bad if you're looking for something to document/share a trip.

Maybe I'll try your app, but the GPS on the phone is so slow and imprecise, that it's easier to use my old Garmin Nuvi for any serious navigation. Luckily my upgrade date is coming up so will probably get a new phone in the next couple months...

In terms of mounting, there are several universal phone mounts out there. Some use suction cups, I'm pretty sure there's a Ram mount too.

Bikes: 2008 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - RIP 1999 Suzuki Katana
Cars: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi, 2007 Subaru Forester XTs
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:50 AM

If you are doing a ride like an IronButt Bunburner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours), it is very helpful to have a GPS which shows your overall average speed including stops. For the BBG, that number must be 62.5mph minimum.

Here's a fuzzy shot of my old Garmin Quest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MDtoFL_GarminQuestGPS.jpg (6.8 KB, 44 views)

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)

Last edited by hdatontodo; 03-25-2012 at 11:27 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Perhaps I should have had a different topic "name". I really was just trying to share an app i found with the forum that shows speed to that of the Versys speedo.

I have not used it for routes as I have never rode more than an hour or so in any direction; and I know where I am going at that. I mostly commute with my V.

Just sharing it with the group. If you prefer not to use it...that is fine. I just wondered how fast i was going and do not have my gps unit which got stolen. this app seems to be 3 MPH lower than the stock speedo.

Heck, thought some might like the 0-60mph and the quarter mile registered times for fun and personal bests.

I'd rather use my smartphone with a Scala 4 to get my podcasts over getting turn by turn directions. Just to cheap to pull the trigger on the scala.

As far as gadgets go, were all online reading this forum. You can't do that from a payphone when you stop to read your paper map on your next ride.
I wouldn't be too concerned about your thread getting hijacked. We all like to feel like we have THE ANSWER, but forget that their issue is just that, their issue. Maybe this thread didn't go the way you intended, it still got people sharing ideas.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:17 AM

No problem, Hoss.

Riding around unknown places using a Nokia E72 with Garmin software.
Put it in my aerostich jacket pocket and with earplug, it tells me where I want to go.
I am also one of those who don't fancy mount a gps on my bike. Using 2 gps (Garmin nuvi 1350) for each car, though.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode