Versys Sidecar Mounts - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Versys Sidecar Mounts

DMC just announced on Advrider that they are devolping sidecar mounts for the Versys.

I have been thinking of selling my bike to get a sidecar rig, but this might be another option, because I really do love the Versys and would hate to get rid of it.

Just wanted to let everyone know. If you want more information you can check their site, and contact them there.

www.dmcsidecars.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:57 PM

That's cool. I'll have to check it out.

On the grumpy side...

I just sold my Harley with sidecar and got back on a Versys.

Unless it is a lightweight sidecar, the Versys will have a rough go of it on the highway. My Harley with a 1450cc engine had a hard time with a sidecar going uphill at 65mph. It also got 25mpg, and ate the rear brake, tire, and bearings. (Yes, it was aligned and the sidecar had a brake.)

It was fun for ice cream runs with the Mrs and kid, but I determined that having $18K in bike and car for that purpose wasn't a great idea. I really needed another bike for solo runs since it was not easy to disconnect. (I also calculated I could buy a Mustang if I sold that and my Civic.)

Days: http://www.tontodonato.com/FLHTPI_Farkles.htm

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hdatontodo; 03-21-2012 at 04:00 PM.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:05 PM

Trailers, side cars, hell . . .figure out a way to turn it into a boat and haul golf clubs too while you're at it.

IBA # 49372

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 PM

Here is the thread. Looks like he has a small house attached to the back of that thing too.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531759

IBA # 49372
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
Trailers, side cars, hell . . .figure out a way to turn it into a boat and haul golf clubs too while you're at it.
I strap my driver, 1 iron and wedge across my side cases and backseat to go to the driving range.

They look at me funny though when I pull in and head to the bay with my helmet and a bucket of balls.

"Why do I ride?"

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

My reasoning is for the soon to be Mrs. She is terrified of the bike, and is pretty stubborn too, so she is not really open to taking it slow, and going for some short rides to get used to things.

The sidecar was actually her idea. She said she would ride all the time then. I'd really like to rent a bike with one first and make sure she still feels the same way.

My family and friends all ride, and are always asking us to go on trips with them, but she won't do it. I'm hoping with a sidecar she might be able to enjoy the ride as much as me.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 AM
GDI

Nah, she just figures you'll never get a sidecar! Calling her bluff won't get her to ride.

Encourage her to do things she enjoys and she may return the favor. You'll both be happier. . . .

GDI
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Well I'm trying to arrange a rental or at least a ride to see if she does actually like it. I don't think she is assuming I will never get one, as we have talked about it for a while, and she was excited when I mentioned this possibility.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
They already figured out the golf bag carry on motorcycle thing
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:24 PM

In the heavy hack I just sold, I either had a passenger or 50 pounds of gravel in a tub so the car didn't fly on right turns. Not sure how much a timid passenger would like to fly, but flying the car is a skill that a driver must learn and practice so that when it happens, he knows what to do.

It was fun how, with a hack you turn the handlebars the way you want to go. Without a hack, you counter-steer and push the handlebar in the direction you want to go.

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdatontodo View Post
Unless it is a lightweight sidecar, the Versys will have a rough go of it on the highway. My Harley with a 1450cc engine had a hard time with a sidecar going uphill at 65mph. It also got 25mpg, and ate the rear brake, tire, and bearings.
Its horsepower and aerodynamics not CC's, Less weight helps too.
My 1000cc 100hp sidecar rig breaks 100 pretty easy.
Though I get about 25 mpgs doing so as well.

Keep in mind that even though that Harley engine was 1450cc it only makes about 60 hp, pretty close to the Versys.
The harley is hauling more weight and has more aero drag too.

I agree though, you would not want a heavy car matched to a versys.

I have to admit the Versys was the last bike I thought I would consider hacking,
but mating it to a Hannigan dualsport car kind of seems appealing.
The low CGs on the Hannigan's help the handing too, I dont need to add ballast (50lbs of gravel) when I dont have a passenger.

Last edited by Ogre_fl; 03-22-2012 at 03:57 PM.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
Well said !

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to look at a Ural at a local dealer.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Keep in mid there is a HUGE differnece between a Ural and a properly set up custom rig.

Many folks love them, to me its like a 40's Willy's jeep compared to a modern car/suv.
If you like the idea of a 40's Willy's then it will work for you, if you are expecting modern performance you might be pretty disappointed.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:27 AM

A side car would take away everything good about the Versys.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Here is the thread. Looks like he has a small house attached to the back of that thing too.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531759

A Velorex side car would likey be a better match to the V, in both looks and weight.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter84 View Post
A side car would take away everything good about the Versys.
I would not argue that at all.

Would it take away a lot of the the things that are fun about the Versys?
Yes, sidecars do take away a lot of what many like in a motorcycle.
But sidecars are very fun in their own way and very practical.

Would a Versys be a decent choice as a sidecar tug?
Yea, in the type like a GS/Strom would be used, I can see how it would.

First you have to WANT a sidecar, if you dont, none of this makes any sense.

But lets say you want a rig that you can do dirt roads on, some commuting and light touring.
You want a nice upright ride position, wide bars for plenty of leverage, decent fuel capacity/range, some form of weather/wind protection and reliability.

Most folks build a BMW GS rig to do this.
But hey the Versys could do all that too, at a fraction of the cost and with probably better reliability.
A Strom is another contender, but the beefer front forks on the Versys and steel frame would be better for sidecar use and the midrange punch (comparing the 650s) seems better.
The 17" front wheel is not a liability, in-fact running a 17" rear tire would be awesome on the front of a rig, better than a skinny 19.

In that light the versys does not seem like such a bad choice.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:37 PM

my wife has yet to learn to not ask why I do some things
The normal answer is because I wanted to
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
I would not argue that at all.

Would it take away a lot of the the things that are fun about the Versys?
Yes, sidecars do take away a lot of what many like in a motorcycle.
But sidecars are very fun in their own way and very practical.

Would a Versys be a decent choice as a sidecar tug?
Yea, in the type like a GS/Strom would be used, I can see how it would.

First you have to WANT a sidecar, if you dont, none of this makes any sense.

But lets say you want a rig that you can do dirt roads on, some commuting and light touring.
You want a nice upright ride position, wide bars for plenty of leverage, decent fuel capacity/range, some form of weather/wind protection and reliability.

Most folks build a BMW GS rig to do this.
But hey the Versys could do all that too, at a fraction of the cost and with probably better reliability.
A Strom is another contender, but the beefer front forks on the Versys and steel frame would be better for sidecar use and the midrange punch (comparing the 650s) seems better.
The 17" front wheel is not a liability, in-fact running a 17" rear tire would be awesome on the front of a rig, better than a skinny 19.

In that light the versys does not seem like such a bad choice.

======================

Here is the Velorex attached to a Honda 750. It's curvy shape, and light weight matches the V pretty well.

If you don't like side hacks, please move on to another thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 562d velorex side.jpg (25.5 KB, 389 views)
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
After a ride to Alaska and back with my buddy on a URAL (UnReliable Asian Lemon...) sidecar rig and me on a KLR650, I wouldn't take one as a gift! EVERY time he hit a puddle the damned thing quit, and we'd spend AT LEAST a half hour trying to get it going. We split at 100 Mile House in the BC interior (as I had to head to Nelson, while he was going to Seattle) where he was, AGAIN, trying to get it running. Eventually he stayed at 100 Mile for two weeks while the Ural importer tried to get TWO carburetors shipped to him. Finally it ran and he headed south.

About a year later he was trying to "do" the TAT from Arkansas west, and not very far from his start point, while he was working on it (AGAIN!!!) it caught fire and burned to the ground.

Do whatever "floats your boat", but those bikes are crap!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode