Was your Versys a "re-entry" bike? Poll, - Kawasaki Versys Forum
View Poll Results: Did you take a break in motorcycling between your previous bike and your first Versys
My Versys was a re-entry bike for me after 5 or more years without riding 8 10.53%
My Versys was a re-entry bike for me after 10 or more years without riding 10 13.16%
My Versys was a re-entry bike for me after 20 or more years without riding 12 15.79%
You are insane. I would never stop riding until Iím too old and infirm to continue. 46 60.53%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Was your Versys a "re-entry" bike? Poll,

Reading a member introduction the other day, I noticed the OP as well as a number of the comments indicated that their Versys was a re-entry bike after a riding hiatus of a few to many years. That was my case as well, as I detailed in my first post here on the forum back in June 2008. So, I'm just wondering how many of us took a break from riding, and then jumped back in with style on a Versys? Take the poll.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by miguelito; 03-21-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:46 PM

Sold my Triumph Bonneville in 1968. Reentered with an '09 Greenie. 41 years. Didn't seem that long. What? No oil leaks or sore right calf muscle from kickbacks.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Sold my Triumph Bonneville in 1968. Reentered with an '09 Greenie. 41 years. Didn't seem that long. What? No oil leaks or sore right calf muscle from kickbacks.
Ha! same here only it was 1985 and a Yamaha 500 plagued with carburetor issues. The Versys has been a problem-free delight in comparison.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Similar experience here. Sold my BMW R100CS Final Edition and Moto Guzzi V50 III around 1989, and didn't ride anything until around 7 years ago.

Sort of snuck back into riding, first with a hot-rodded Kymco Super 9 (49cc two stroke with big carb, tuned exhaust, reworked CVT and capable of an honest 65 mph!), then a Kymco XC 500 (comfortable, but handled like a scooter and was heavy), and then the Versys - 2008 and red and wonderful.

Ah, retirement can be great.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:11 PM

Might want to add an option for people where there was not a reentry bike at all...

It's my second, after a Ninja 250 which was good for learning but was an older model with various issues that detracted from the experience. In that aspect, the V is my first "real" bike that I feel comfortable jumping on anytime and enjoying. I expect to put more miles on the V in one month than I put on the 250 in two years. And this is after having the V for only 2 weeks!

2008 Kawasaki Versys
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Similar experience here. Ah, retirement can be great.
Amen to that bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filbert View Post
Might want to add an option for people where there was not a reentry bike at all...
Good point, although I couldn't find a way to modify the poll.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:35 PM

Not a reentry but a addition to fill a niche. Turns out its good enough to fill several.

AMA EAA STN
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:38 PM

Sold my Suzuki 500 thumper 25 years ago after always having a bike to ride. However kept riding bicycles and eyeing new motorcycles. Thought I wanted an HD, BMW or Vulcan. I test drove all three. Then i drove the V. The V is light agile and a lot of fun to ride. Made a purchase of a '11 and enjoying it when I can.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:44 PM

1979 Yamaha 175 Enduro

Sold my first bike, a Yamaha 175 Enduro, when my first child was born in 1981. The Versys was my re-entry bike about a year ago. I was a lurker for several years on the board while trying to figure out what bike I wanted.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 PM

I raced dirt bikes back in the mid 70s, mostly hare scrambles. Last racing bike was a Penton 175 Jackpiner. Got married in 76, sold the Penton and bought a 175 Yamaha Enduro so I could ride to work and still play in the dirt a little. Our first kid came in 1980. Sold the Yamaha. Then Kid # 2 in 1982 and #3 in 1987. Didn't ride for over 25 years. When gas got up to $4.00 a gallon in 2007 or 2008 I pulled out an old 1972 Honda CB 100 that someone had given me from my shed and got it running. Rode that to work for about a month by taking all the back roads (I could only go about 45 mph) I was going to buy a new small (250 or so) on/off road bike but read about the Versys and just had to have one. Been enjoying my ride to work and back since March 2009.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:54 PM

Versys was a second bike for me...something light and simple for back road exploring.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I started riding again in 2008. The Versys was just being introduced to rave reviews and it was the bike I really wanted after extensive reading and a few test rides. Unfortunately I could only buy a new Versys then (dealers where selling at MSRP due to demand) and it was more than I wanted to spend. I ended up with a much cheaper bike I kept for two years. Found an almost new Versys two years later at 50% off MSRP and snatched it up. It's almost perfect for the riding I do and the fun/cost factor is amazing. I'd now love a new Tenere or similar but the fun/cost factor could never match the Versys. I could not justify spending $15K on a marginally better Tenere when my V cost me $5K. IMO there are better all round bikes but none that can touch the Versys fun&suitability for the $$.

Most of my riding friends ride MUCH, MUCH more expensive big displacement cruiser style bikes. We've occasionally traded bikes on rides and I have to say I prefer the Versys more fun to ride nature for everything except maybe all day distance droning on the four lane. The icing on the cake for me is I get better mileage and my cost of ownership is a fraction of theirs. BTW a $30,000, 900lb, HD Electo Glide is not a fun bike to ride unless you plan to sit in the seat for 8 hours on the highway going in a strait line.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-21-2012 at 08:26 PM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 PM

After spending the better part of my youth hitting the trails and the tracks, I sold my '99 KX125 (bought it new when I was 16, god I loved that bike) back in '03 and headed off to the city for college. After toying with the idea of a dual sport, I bumped into the Versys at a bike expo a month ago. For the first time in years I wasn't just thinking about maybe getting another bike, I decided I NEEDED THIS BIKE!!! A few weeks later, it was mine and I couldn't be happier. It's great to be back!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

I'm getting the feeling from the comments and the poll, that the Versys filled a niche that wasn't there before in most rider's minds, and as such a lot of us jumped back into riding as a result. If I was trying to describe that niche, I think it would probably be just what Kawasaki marketed the bike as: A practical, versatile, economical, do anything bike that is just a hoot to ride, I think it is that last bit about being a hoot to ride that has garnered the bike its loyal following, as the other three by themselves would not have generated the enthusiasm I've seen untold times here on this forum. Right now, the poll shows about a 50/50 split between re-entry riders and those lucky few who managed to ride throughout their lives. BTW, were I to take this poll today after having ridden my Versys almost 60k miles over the past 4 years, I would have to count myself as one of those in the 4th poll category: I plan to ride until I'm physically unable to do so anymore. In that regard, I think it's bikes like the Versys that will be the future of motorcycling, the bikes that will draw in new riders, and experienced riders, as well as bringing us lost sheep back to the fold.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:35 PM

I had a Goldwing I couldn't ride because of a newborn. It annoyed my to tie up $15K for something I wasn't riding, so I sold it. About then Kawasaki had a $1,500 rebate on the 2009 Versys which put it in the $5K plus range. I bought the Kawasaki the same day I sold the other bike.

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 08:02 AM

I too went to a Versys from an ex250.... but not for the same reasons.

My then girlfriend said it was so uncomfortable for her that anything over 50 miles wasn't happening and the constant teardowns for valve checking got old. The bike required adjustment every 6k miles and I put 12k on it in 9 months :/
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 AM

I learned to ride on a Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250. I decided that the learning curve of off-road trail riding could be more painful than I wanted. My husband and I spent 7 months in Moab, UT last summer and did a lot of dirt riding. I bought my '08 V in November - it is my first street bike. I sat on the V-Strom and BMW R1100R neither of which "felt" right. I sat on the V and immediately knew that this was the bike for me. Once I got to ride one I was hooked. I love my V, I feel like a Lego piece that snaps onto the seat. Great first bike!

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypgn View Post
I decided that the learning curve of off-road trail riding could be more painful than I wanted.
ha! I learned about that off-road/trail learning curve myself on the Versys. After two cracked farings I learned to tone it down a bit. Just a bit.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:01 PM

For me it was a process of distilling what I wanted in a bike. I had been riding continuously for the last 13 years. At the time I made the deal on the V I had 4 other bikes in the garage. Down to 2 bikes now and I rarely ride the KLR, but it's cheap to keep and sometimes a good option.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 02:14 PM

I had 3 bikes before the versys. A Yamaha dt125, a kawasaki er-5 and a ktm 400lc4. Then I had a break for about 5 years. I think it was the promise of that beautifull engine of the er-5, only beefed up that made me decide for the versys.

Ermax hugger, Givi trunk, Kawasaki touring screen, ep radiator cover, gipro ds, gear indicator, powerbronze headlight protector, motowerk footpeg lowering kit and paddock stand+ bobbins, leovince underbody exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
re-entry, reentry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode