Advice wanted before pulling the trigger - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Advice wanted before pulling the trigger

Am looking at a 2009 blue versys has 5100 on it corbin seat and the kawi hard bags painted to the color of the bike along with a second windshield. Dealer is offering to ship it to me in Washington state from Arizona for 5k. A little nervous doing a shipping deal never seeing the bike and all but I know people who have done it with no regrets. Only bike in my area is a 2008 with soft luggage and the hard tail luggage and some other extras 4600 firm. A green 2009 on the washington coast 1100 miles on it hard side luggage painted to match for 5300. Other then that the local dealer has a couple of new 2011's for 6800 or 6900......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 06:33 PM

I'd check out that green one. It's $200 more, but maybe you can knock it down to the same price as the blue one, and you'ld be able to check it out in person before putting out the cash. Of course my opinion is just that.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
I'd check out that green one. It's $200 more, but maybe you can knock it down to the same price as the blue one, and you'ld be able to check it out in person before putting out the cash. Of course my opinion is just that.
No you are right I would love to... problem is I texted him then he replied he would rather be contacted via email so I did but he hasn't replied to me yet. It's been over a week..... I sent him another email today after that I will give up on him. I am a 3.5 hour drive from the Washington coast but still allot closer then AZ that's for sure.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 07:45 PM

My guess is since the dealer took the Versys as a trade-in presumably, that it's in OK shape. About the only thing that could have gone wrong is if the original owner didn't break it in properly/do the required oil changes, or if it's a lemon, (and I haven't heard of any Versys-lemons myself). If the dealer is a kawasaki dealer, their shop may have performed some of the routine maintainance, and it would be worth asking them if that's the case, and if so, what they've done, and if any other non-routine work was performed. Other than that, I think you are within bounds to ask for contact info for the original owner, so you can pick his/her brain. But again, my guess is that it's a good bike, at a good price considering the extras, and shipping.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
My guess is since the dealer took the Versys as a trade-in presumably, that it's in OK shape. About the only thing that could have gone wrong is if the original owner didn't break it in properly/do the required oil changes, or if it's a lemon, (and I haven't heard of any Versys-lemons myself). If the dealer is a kawasaki dealer, their shop may have performed some of the routine maintainance, and it would be worth asking them if that's the case, and if so, what they've done, and if any other non-routine work was performed. Other than that, I think you are within bounds to ask for contact info for the original owner, so you can pick his/her brain. But again, my guess is that it's a good bike, at a good price considering the extras, and shipping.
Thanks very much for the thoughtful reply..... yes they are a kawi/polaris dealer. All I know of the owner is he was in his early 60's he took his bike in at 700 miles then after that did all the oil changes on his own. Good idea about getting owner info. Thanks!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
About the only thing that could have gone wrong is if the original owner didn't break it in properly/do the required oil changes, or...
good point. What is properly? Would you prefer a bike from an owner who kept the RPMs extremely low it for the first few hundred miles like the Owner's Manual suggests, or rode it hard (after letting it warm up) from the start? I guess if you care a lot about that, maybe it's worth paying a bit more for a new one. Remembering also that the new one has some small updates.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
good point. What is properly? Would you prefer a bike from an owner who kept the RPMs extremely low it for the first few hundred miles like the Owner's Manual suggests, or rode it hard (after letting it warm up) from the start? I guess if you care a lot about that, maybe it's worth paying a bit more for a new one. Remembering also that the new one has some small updates.
Yeah, there's always that debate between Kawasaki's recommended procedure and the moto-man way. Personally, either one would be OK with me. I was thinking more along the lines of someone just abusing the bike/motor right out of the box.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt37 View Post
Am looking at a 2009 blue versys has 5100 on it corbin seat and the kawi hard bags painted to the color of the bike along with a second windshield. Dealer is offering to ship it to me in Washington state from Arizona for 5k. A little nervous doing a shipping deal never seeing the bike and all but I know people who have done it with no regrets. Only bike in my area is a 2008 with soft luggage and the hard tail luggage and some other extras 4600 firm. A green 2009 on the washington coast 1100 miles on it hard side luggage painted to match for 5300. Other then that the local dealer has a couple of new 2011's for 6800 or 6900......
I'd wait and find out if the lower mileage, green V is available. The only way I'd buy a remote bike is if a trusted friend checked it out. Or, perhaps, you could find a forum member who lives in the area.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 09:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
If you are gonna go as far as AZ, buy my bike. I can assure you its been treated well and could work the deal through a local BMW/Triumph dealer, so you can get their sign-off that the bike is sound.

Course that price is pretty good with hard luggage...

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor

Last edited by buffamazon; 03-18-2012 at 09:54 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 10:50 AM

Arizona (and Utah!) are pretty nice this time of year. Cash in those airline miles and do a fly-n-ride!
The price difference between the new ones and the used ones gets a lot bigger once you start adding the goodies. Plus, somebody else took that depreciation when they rode it off the lot. If you're shopping for value, getting the first gen makes a lot more sense. I wouldn't be nervous about a used one at all, it's not like an R6! Most folks that bought these are the kind of people that you'd let borrow your car or ask to house sit for you.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt37 View Post
I would be less concerned about buying from a dealer remotely than an individual. They have a reputation to uphold so will be very unlikely to sell a bike that is obviously defective, also the mileage is low, which reduces risk. Do ask for pictures of the tires (to check wear), any scratches, etc.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
I would be less concerned about buying from a dealer remotely than an individual. They have a reputation to uphold so will be very unlikely to sell a bike that is obviously defective, also the mileage is low, which reduces risk. Do ask for pictures of the tires (to check wear), any scratches, etc.
Dealer said front is stock should be replaced soon rear is at 50%. He sent me a bunch of pics.....gotta tell you I want it and I think I will be watching it get unloaded in my drive way in a few weeks.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Arizona (and Utah!) are pretty nice this time of year. Cash in those airline miles and do a fly-n-ride!
The price difference between the new ones and the used ones gets a lot bigger once you start adding the goodies. Plus, somebody else took that depreciation when they rode it off the lot. If you're shopping for value, getting the first gen makes a lot more sense. I wouldn't be nervous about a used one at all, it's not like an R6! Most folks that bought these are the kind of people that you'd let borrow your car or ask to house sit for you.
Fly and ride! That's a good idea I have a ton of Alaskan air line miles......
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Trigger Pulled

5k and in route from AZ looking forward to truck pulling up to the house in Spokane :-)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 05:47 PM

congrats ....and good luck keep us posted !
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
congrats ....and good luck keep us posted !
Thanks! Will let you know how it all goes for sure.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 07:10 AM

You shipping or flying and riding?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
You shipping or flying and riding?
Shipping..... Don't have the time to fly and ride from az to spokane right now plus weather over passes not ideal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode