Why bike covers are awesome AND terrible. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Why bike covers are awesome AND terrible.

I park my bike on the street in New York City- which at best is a non-ideal situation. Luckily I have a permanently stationed NYPD detail on my corner (for a diplomat or something), and I'm usually able to get a pot near their patrol car. I cover my bike in a Dowco outdoor cover I've been very happy with SO FAR... I came out to get my V this morning and was told by the doorman of the building I'm parked in front of (a friend who also looks out for my bike) that last night my bike was blown over by the wind! So apparently 2011 Versys + Pelican topcase + Fairly tight cover +40mph wind= giant sail that will flip your bike over and ruin your day real quick. I was none to pleased. However- for the GOOD part: The NYPD officer in the car saw this happen. Not only did he let the doorman know he also righted the bike. Needless to say he didn't have to do anything in that situation, and he really went above and beyond the call of duty. Unfortunately he wasn't on duty when I came out to hear all of this, but I'm going to make sure I thank him when I see him next. So far as the bike is concerned it appears the only damage was to the bar end which seems to have taken the hardest hit, the side of the pelican case, and some very minor scratching on the plastics. No indication of any contact with any of the engine components. Ironically- I was on my way out to install my new SW crash bars . So besides that and possibly a slightly bent handlebar (so slight it can't be seen really, just felt- or maybe i'm looking to hard for problems...) I think my Versys is ok. Are there any common results of a tip-over I should be looking for specifically? She started right up, no warning lights or anything, and she seemed to run normally (save for maybe feeling slightly higher in the handlebar on the side it fell on)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:11 PM

Garage
Did you have the bike in Neutral when you parked it????

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:35 PM

Garage
I live on the top of a hill in a very windy area . I always park in the lee of my house and never had the bike blow over but I have had the cover blow off a few times even with attachments. My covers tend to eventually tear with constant beating by the wind. They never seem to last the year.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Yes. In Neutral, but parked at an angle to the curb with the grade of the street pulling her back to the curb. Posting pics of damage and parking method. I'm thinking the Pelican must've landed on the treebox she's chained to, as I can't explain the lack of damage... Do you leave yours in gear? It hadn't occured to me til you emntioned it, but probably cause of the angle of city parking...

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:54 PM

Garage
I use to park in neutral till it rolled on me one day.Luckily i was standing next to it and caught it. Now when i park it i leave it in gear.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:55 PM

Garage
Curious if the kickstand was up or down when the guy picked it up.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:08 PM

Why would you ever park in neutral?
If you leave it on an incline have a bit of velcro or rubber band around front brake to engage it.

I had my bike under the cover in very strong (40-50 km/h) winds and it was OK as long as it was parallel to the wind direction, i.e. with headlight facing the wind.
Downside of a tight cover is that it will loosen and ultimately brake your (stock) mirrors under tension.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:09 PM

It doesn't take much to blow a bike over. I was parked at an over look and had mine lifted off the kickstand with fully loaded side bags. Luckily I was on the other side and it didn't go anywhere.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Curious if the kickstand was up or down when the guy picked it up.
I plan on asking the officer when I see him. With the cover on it stretching from the handlebars to the pelican it really becomes a huge square sail. I think it really went over laterally as the wind has to come 'up' the street as there are big buildings on either side that create a bit of a canyon effect. This- 2 days after another NYPD officer pulled me over and gave me a ticket for not having the visor down on my helmet (even though I had my glasses on) read: end of month ticket quotas. Faith fully restored Funny how those things work...
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

I just went out and put it into 1st. I also took off the Pelican to reduce its profile. I've got it as ass to the wind as street parking will allow for- so I'm hoping without the cover it should be fine.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:26 PM

The factory bars are pretty soft and bend easily. Look at this as an excuse to upgrade your bars. Easy project.

I bent my bars and was able to bend them mostly straight pretty easily. But I still replaced them.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:47 PM

i live about a block away from the beach in RI and it gets awefully breezy around here..my bikes been knocked over 2 times by the wind, not quite fun to come home from a long weekend to your bike sideways in the driveway
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:53 PM

I've always thought the V's sidestand was a bit too long. Perhaps the shorter stand for the lowered kit would be more stable. Anyone have experience with this?

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:18 PM

I'm kind of surprised to hear that the bike will blow over so easy. Mine always seemed pretty stable and I would think it would take quite a strong wind gust to blow it over.

You leave your pelican case on when you park? I always take my top box off when I get to work or home and bring it in with me for 2 reasons. It's easy to carry with the handle and you can't steal what's not there.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
[QUOTE=goat12;188165. This- 2 days after another NYPD officer pulled me over and gave me a ticket for not having the visor down on my helmet (even though I had my glasses on) read: end of month ticket quotas. Faith fully restored Funny how those things work...[/QUOTE]

You can get a ticket for not having your visor down????????????????? please tell me i misunderstood.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
You can get a ticket for not having your visor down????????????????? please tell me i misunderstood.

I was thinking the same thing. What The Hell.....

I don't worry about the wind blowing my bike over. It leans so much to the left i put a block under it when its parked in my driveway. Then in the garage i have a chock stand i put it in.

IMG_1065 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I only wish I was kidding! Came up behind him turning left up in Harlem. I was going well below the speed limit and he lit me up as soon as I got in front of him. He came up and asked me why my visor wasn't down. 'Do you know that's against the law?' No- I replied- I have my glasses on. 'Those aren't approved glasses'. Ie. I'm giving you a ticket for something right now because I'm having a ****ty day and am under quota for the month. When he asked for my license he clearly saw my Superior Officers Association Retired card (friends and family on the job), and I was entirely polite and cool in dealing with him. I was really shocked when he came back with a ticket instead of a warning. I looked up the law, and it appears this is a pretty common NYPD tactic for creating a search situation for registration/license etc. Not that it should matter- but it wasn't the greatest neighborhood where he pulled me over. From here: http://nymstf.org/Responsibility.htm

"One of the reasons we're telling you about this is because of the current practice of the NYPD stopping motorcyclists wearing full-face helmets for having their face shields lifted even to small degrees. To the NYPD a helmet's face shield is either fully closed or it is not, and is therefore in violation. Some officers have confided that this practice is indeed just a way to bootstrap reasonable suspicion for further fishing expeditions (to check for licenses, registration, insurance, inspection, etc.) but we already knew that. What concerns us more is the officers are convinced that the law does actually prohibit lifting a face shield from the fully closed position while operating a motorcycle.

New York State law does NOT prohibit lifting the face shield of a helmet.

15 NY ADC 54.2 defines: "Goggles or face shield. An eye protection device as defined in American National Standard Institute's Z87.1 as most recently amended". Unlike the helmet definition which specifies the goal of protecting the wearer's head against a blow, the eye protection definition does not specify against what the wearer's eyes are supposed to be protected."

I have a great amount of respect for our boys in blue; and I'd say there are far more examples of the kind of cop that picked up my bike when he saw it go over, than the one that gave me a bogus ticket.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:48 PM

In Virginia, you must wear eye protection if your MC does not have a windshield. Since we have a windshield, no further eye protection is required by law. I would look up the law in your area and see if it is similar!

Copied from here:

Virginia Eye Protection Law: When riding on or operating a Virginia motorcycle, you are required by law to wear protective eye wear, unless the Virginia motorcycle is equipped with a windscreen.

Va. Code Ann. § 46.2-910

§ 46.2-910. Motorcyclist to wear helmets, etc.; certain sales prohibited; penalty

A. Every person operating a motorcycle shall wear a face shield, safety glasses or goggles, or have his motorcycle equipped with safety glass or a windshield at all times while operating the vehicle, and operators and any passengers thereon shall wear protective helmets......
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

That's kind of the point. It's not actually a violation of law. However it's a grey enough area that NYPD uses it as a reason for an exploratory pullover. It sucks. If I went into court I may well be able to win, but will ultimately lose more in wages from work taking the time to do it. I've done the math. Sadly this is one I've decided will just have to be taken on the chin.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 08:22 PM

Glad your bike didn't get damaged badly. That Pelican top box might have helped.

Heard of covered bikes blown over before. I think I remember a story from a motorcycle event a few years ago where a row of Ducatis got knocked over that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode