GIVI side pannier rack system - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
GIVI side pannier rack system

Firstly, I dont know where to ask this, so if its in the wrong place, I apologise.

Hello all, I have a Versys 2011. I wish to purchase the GIVI side pannier rack system from the UK. I need some advice. Hope can share some information to me.

1) What is the difference between the PLR and PLXR system for GIVI. I have read about it and PLXR states the rack can be easily be removed by a key. Is this the only difference ?

2) Can both PLR or PLXR fit on the Versys 2011. Anyone installed any of these before ?

2) Any website in the UK I can purchase this and be shipped within UK ?

Thank you all in advance.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 AM

I have the PLR racks on my 2011 V. Obviously not in the UK though. The PLR release from the mount points with some quick release bolts. One thing to note I felt the need to relocate my turn singles with the included adapter. If you don't they seem to get lost in the rack and I want them as visible as possible.

To just install the side racks you need a 450Kit from Givi which replaces the stock grab handles. I sacrificed mine to KTMduals for my setup though.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...=12005&page=10

Post 184.

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Hades: Have your tried GIVI at IPOH ROAD KL. You might get all your answers there.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 PM

Hi, I got a good price and service on givi gear from an ebay Italy seller called amr-1984

Go for the PLR450 pannier racks if you want to be able to add a 451FZ top case rack.

If you only want pannier racks send me a PM. I have the OEM (Givi) one's which I was about to cut the pillion brab handles off so I can fit them with the 451FZ, however I could sell them and just go with the PLR450's for a no fuss install.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 PM

I believe if you want to use contoured panniers like the V35, you have to go with the PLX series as they can accommodate the bend. I believe the R stands for removable of the mounting system.

I had to go through that when I got mine, but I don't remember all the details now. Here is a link to an image that might help:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/image...view/2807/579/

HTH.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys for all your input. Now I have an idea what to look for. Looks like I can get the PLR system...woo hooo..

Fastoman....Givi here is expensive. If I purchase from UK, I can easily save RM100 on this ( boxes not included ).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 PM

Hi Hades, Givi Points are stiff in their prices, no nego, no price cuts. However, if you can find a bike dealer who is the authorized seller, he can give you a cut. For e.g., I got my Givi Engine Guard for RM550 versus RM585. Nevertheless, I got the top box and rack later on from the same shop. Anyway, if you are heading up to Penang, I can recommend the shop that gave me a good deal.

For V2010 and above.

PLXR racking system is suited for just 1 box V35, while PLR racks are suitable for any boxes that is a monokey, even top boxes, and you get more choices of boxes. Both are quick release type which is why the pricing for the racks is almost 2X of that of the 2009 and older models.

The PLXR system happens to have closer fit than to the one provided by Kawasaki, so the boxes are neatly tugged in closer to the bike making it slimmer overall.

Importing from the UK, there would be a 25% import duty plus an additional of 10% sales tax for the worst case scenario. I have checked eBay and Givi goods from Italy is the lowest of prices.

I was considering the TRK33N boxes for a while (uses PLR, Monokey) but the cost is just way too high. Now, I have shifted to SW-Motech 37L boxes, haven't made the purchase yet but do so before my next tour. DC Biker is selling the entire system for around RM2700 which I think is even cheaper than the Givi's offering. Maybe you can consider SW-Motech.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode