Odometer/Speedometer accuracy? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Odometer/Speedometer accuracy?

Iím planning out some good rides for the coming season and was wondering how accurate the stock odometer/trip meter is compared actual or a GPS? I run stock size tires and sprockets. I know the speedometer is not very accurate, giving a much faster reading than actual speed. Does anyone know to what degree the stock speedometer is off ( I run in Km/h if that makes a difference)?

While on the topic, I have read where some motorcyclist have mounted bicycle computers which can be calibrated for tire diameter or circumference and are very accurate for speed and distance. Can anyone recommend a particular model that has worked for them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by moflow View Post
Iím planning out some good rides for the coming season and was wondering how accurate the stock odometer/trip meter is compared actual or a GPS? I run stock size tires and sprockets. I know the speedometer is not very accurate, giving a much faster reading than actual speed. Does anyone know to what degree the stock speedometer is off ( I run in Km/h if that makes a difference)?
On stock tyres/sprockets you are about 8% out on speedo, 100kph would be actually around 92kph but the odometer is running dead accurate
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
With the stock front sprocket and a 43 tooth rear sprocket my speedometer indicates less than 1/2 mph different than the GPS - though that isn't absolutely accurate either. Still, I can be fairly certain what I see is what it really is - almost anyway. It works for me and saves my feeble brain from having to attempt mental mathematics.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 02:32 PM

Speedo reads 8% fast. Good thing to keep speeding tickets away.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 07:59 PM

I've checked my '08 with stock gearing and Pirelli Angel ST's in the stock sizes, and my bike's speedometer is right on at 60 mph. I've found that even if tires are marked the same size they do vary in physical dimensions. You're better off comparing your bike to a GPS rather than making a blanket generalization. HTH

Larry aka Charliedog
Bristol, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog View Post
I've checked my '08 with stock gearing and Pirelli Angel ST's in the stock sizes, and my bike's speedometer is right on at 60 mph. I've found that even if tires are marked the same size they do vary in physical dimensions. You're better off comparing your bike to a GPS rather than making a blanket generalization. HTH
That is rare. Though I don't have a versys yet, my vulcan and every other metric bike I have owned in many years reads about 7 or 8% or so fast.

Easy math is just think 10%. Works for me.

One ride with a GPS solves the issue. If not riding with one often, just use it once and hit some milestones like 50, 60, 70 and extrapolate from there.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on two wheels:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Stock, speedo is "optimistic" 6/5%, and odo is right on.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 07:03 AM

I got sick of my speedo reading high and making me slower than surrounding traffic and installed a cycle speedo. I didn't realise when i bought it that it only went up to 99 kph. I suppose you can set it to mph if you can do the conversion in your head. Mine was an ebay cheapie, $4 Sunding. Perhaps a better brand will give a three digit readout.

I imagine mine is similar to others, in that it is programmable for wheel circumference to the mm.

You can help make Clem a household name

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Since I ride with the traffic flow or at my own pace if there is no traffic, the speedo accuracy does not bother me.

If you want it to be more accurate why not put a taller rear tire on the bike? I always wonder how accurate consumer GPS devices are. I can set the cruise control on my touring bike and notice no change in the speedometer but the GPS speed will fluctuate 2 to 3 MPH.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 03:17 AM

The consumer GPS devices I own seem to be precise when the road is flat. When you're going up- or downhill, it will show a slower speed. Appearently, these devices think the world is flat and to not support GPS height information.

I have a Sigma bike tacho on my other bike. It even has a clock, avg speed, total speed. They don't seem to make any bike tachos with permanent 12/14V lights, so you have to kludge that yourself.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 06:36 AM

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
My Tourance 150/70 rear tire has decreased the 6.5% error to about 2.5%, BUT now the odo is out, but pessimistic, so I'm getting around 2% MORE mpg than indicated!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode