Extended Warranty - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Extended Warranty

Anybody ever buy one? The warranty on my V expires in April, and I'm constantly getting mail from Kawasaki. For the low low price of $682 for four years, I can extend my warranty. I know there is a dealer in CO, that can do it for less. But, is it really worth it? These bikes seem pretty indestructible.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:40 PM

How handy are you with your bike? If you have the know-how, time, tools, and space to work on your bike, the warranty (to me) isn't worth it.

If you are lacking any of these, the warranty is at least worth considering. On the other hand, you could also consider using the money you don't spend on the warranty to change the things you are lacking and possibly come out better in the long run.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Can't count all the new cars i bought and paid for an extended warranty. The last car was a 1999 Mustang Cobra and it was the only car i ever used the extended warranty on. So since then i never bothered with one. What i paid for the warranty was way more than the repair to the car. There nice to have for peace of mind.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:13 PM

I never buy warranties on anything. Its a money maker for the manufacturer. Most go unclaimed. Peace of mind can be expensive! Save your money and actually pay for a repair with that money you saved "if" something breaks! My $.02
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 PM

Check ebay Motors. Under versys extended warranty.48 months $359.95 Hope it helps.Ride Safe.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 PM
MTS

Many threads on this. And I like you read alot of them because I didn't know what to do. One rider made alot of sense. He said if you plan on racking up huge mileage than maybe consider it. If not no way. He was right most people lose money thats why they do it. I did not.

I need a warranty year 8-15.
I need health Ins. 100% 60-100yr.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 02-09-2012 at 07:42 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I'll buy the warranty if I purchase an unproven product or a factory refurb at a great discount. The only vehicle I have ever bought an extended warranty for was an '87 Hyndai Excel. The car was $4000 less than a corolla or civic and even though it was an unproven product my warranty claims were about equal to what I paid for the warranty.

I may consider extending the warranty on my Vulcan Voyager because there is just more that can go wrong on that bike with all the gizmos and gadgets.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:45 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Can't count all the new cars i bought and paid for an extended warranty. The last car was a 1999 Mustang Cobra and it was the only car i ever used the extended warranty on. So since then i never bothered with one. What i paid for the warranty was way more than the repair to the car. There nice to have for peace of mind.
A Ford no less?
My CRV AC blew up two days before factory warranty exp.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:48 PM

I passed on the extended warranty, at 13,000 miles my right front front fork seal failed. At 15,000 mile service the cam lobes were lightly scored. Will I have more problems? It is hard to say if it is worth the price, if you enjoy working on your bike & have a good area and nice set of tools don't waste your money. If not look around & see what price you can get from your local dealers on the warranty.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
A Ford no less?
My CRV AC blew up two days before factory warranty exp.

Can't blame it on being a Ford. The cause was from the ProCharger Super Charger i put on it.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:48 AM

I bought the GTPP warranty last year, over the phone, from Freemont Motorsports in Colorado. It was $349 for 4 years. I usually don't buy a warranty because I never kept a vehicle long enough. After almost a year on my Versys, I knew I'd be keeping it for a while.

I looked at it like this:
If I keep the bike for the 4 years and don't use the warranty, lil under 88 bucks per year is cheap insurance. If I sell or trade it in, might make a little difference to the buyer.
Mine is a daily commuter. If it goes down, I have to get it fixed asap. Have you seen the shop rates

If your a good mechanic, like some of the members here, you may not worry about it. I'm not, but I'm good til June '15

Vulcan 1700 Classic

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:13 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Can't blame it on being a Ford. The cause was from the ProCharger Super Charger i put on it.
Heck no! Ford, Chevy, they all have issues! Trucks are really big out here right now. Everyone has to have a BIG TRUCK. Some are so long they can hardly park them in parking stops. These are huge in town trucks for show. Some really look cool I must admit. Big oil boom here you know!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazjemo View Post
Mine is a daily commuter. If it goes down, I have to get it fixed asap. Have you seen the shop rates
I hope you have a backup vehicle. I've heard horror stories of bikes sitting in the shop for over a month waiting on parts.

I brought in one of my bikes for a recall notice and even though the bike was ridable the dealer tried to tell me I needed to leave the bike with them until the part came in and they replaced it. I didn't say no, I said hell no! I told them to order the part and let me know when it comes in or I go to another dealer to get the work done.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 08:56 AM

I picked up a 3-year with my (showroom new) bike, and haven't had occasion to take advantage of it yet, though I haven't put on nearly as many miles as I had hoped/anticipated. At the time, with a decent closeout discount on the machine and a relatively short model history (this was fall '09), I figured a few hundred bucks of extra insurance couldn't hurt. By now, though, failures that GTPP would cover seem to be fairly rare. If I were to buy an eligible used bike, a year or two might not be a bad idea. Can't say I'd go for it in your situation.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 09:30 AM

I never buy extended warranties. Usually a dealer will put your bike at the end of any other bikes repairs when he see's it's an extended warranty. They already have your money and are in no rush to get to the bike especially when he has others that people are paying to have repaired.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 09:54 AM

I'm not sure that's true. When you buy an extended warranty, you're buying an insurance policy. It's the insurance company that pays the dealer for the repairs. However, the dealer gets paid two ways; first, they get a cut when you buy the policy and then they get paid by the insurance company for repairs. Like all insurance, they're betting that you won't make a claim during the policy period and they're still in business, so they must be right. It's good for them, not for you. Keep your money in your pocket. If you need it, you've got it to spend; if you don't need it, it'll still be in your pocket, not theirs.

twowheeladdict made a good point, parts frequently take some time to arrive and the bike sits waiting.

George
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Lot's of good info here. Thank you for the thoughtful replies. I think I'm going to pass. I split riding between the V and a 2009 Suzuki TU250 for commuting duties, so I'm not really putting a lot of miles on either bike, save for the occasional road trip on the V. If something breaks and I can't fix it, well, sometimes you just have to pay the man.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 03:34 AM

I did buy the extended warranty (220 euro for 2-4 years), and regreted it. You have to stick to the inspection intervals, and have them dome at your dealership. That's every 6000 km for me, and a 50 km trip to the dealer, thus, one day of vacation each time. Sometimes I even can't ride the Versys for weeks when the km are "full" but the dealer has no time for me

I think you can easily do the "small" inspections yourself (6000, 18000 km ...) and save the money.

The most likely things that you might need the warrantly one with V are:
-speedometer mode/reset button
-rust on the frame (below seat, behind side panels)
-rectifier death from plug corrosion

Look up the parts, consider used parts and doing the work yourself, and do the math.

Or prevent this from happening in the first place, by installing foam pads on the frame and a rear tire hugger, and not using the mode/reset buttons much.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125

Last edited by blahwas; 02-12-2012 at 03:35 AM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 11:18 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Lot's of good info here. Thank you for the thoughtful replies. I think I'm going to pass. I split riding between the V and a 2009 Suzuki TU250 for commuting duties, so I'm not really putting a lot of miles on either bike, save for the occasional road trip on the V. If something breaks and I can't fix it, well, sometimes you just have to pay the man.
I here ya! But you take care of your bike and nothing will break. I have been on this forum awhile and you hear it all. These are good bikes period. You just saved yourself some cash. But do have insurance. Its the odd cager that causes us the riders the most proplems and maybe a dog-deer. IMO

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:52 PM

My extended warranty kicks in after the factory warranty. I bought it the day I bought my 2011 new at the dealer. It is unlimited miles and I ride 80 miles M-F. From what I could tell covers quite a bit between the tires other than normal wear and tear. Sure maybe I won't use it, but knowing should that part made on Monday fails, then I am covered. Either way these days you are going to pay, I chose to pay in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode