Versys in the sand - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys in the sand

Does anyone have ride the Versys in the sand?
I love to drive my bike (and I think I drive it quite well) but when I went to see the Dakar, there were many sand roads and drive the Versys there was really a nightmare. I had no control over the bike (although going very slow) and I felt very mad about it ...
I was thinking whether it will be because the bike is too heavy, or because the front wheel is 17 "x 120 (not a 19" or 21") or simply because I don't know to drive on the sand...
Any thought

it is what it is...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Front end does wash out (understeer) easily on sand with stock or street tires.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I don't drive my bike, I ride it. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Barely got the bike out of this sand.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 PM

Sand

IMHO, sand riding is difficult, even on a light weight dirt bike. I can't imagine how hard it would be on my V. Tires and experience might help, but sand always wears me out a lot faster than normal riding conditions. Hope this helps
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

I know it's difficult and takes practice... but I'm afraid to ride it faster in the sand... as soon as the front wheel enters to the sand, it's like... I don't know how to explain it in English but I'm sure you have experienced the same... the uphill from the picture was a mess although maybe it doesn't look so difficult.
I will keep trying... thank you Folks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0418.jpg (50.5 KB, 174 views)

it is what it is...

Last edited by kurt; 02-07-2012 at 08:24 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 09:27 PM

Damn. That's a hell of a lot of sand!

You're on Pirelli MT60's?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 AM
ggg

There are a few tricks to sand riding.
First when i doubt go faster
Dont try and fight the bars let the bike move off line if it wants unless you going straight for a tree don't be concerned.
Go faster, when you go lower its gets harder.
When you want to slow down don't brake keep the revs up but just down shift a gear or two, backing off the throttle brings the front wheel down and it gets harder.

What ever you mind tells you... go against it, riding sand is all about keeping on the gas.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 03:04 AM

I once rode a bit of sandy road that was not far from fesh-fesh.
Front end washed out before I could say 'what the..'
I was fighting front and back end with my feet down the whole length. Not fun for me.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
It did not go well for me riding on a sandy beach
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
There are a few tricks to sand riding.
First when i doubt go faster
Dont try and fight the bars let the bike move off line if it wants unless you going straight for a tree don't be concerned.
Go faster, when you go lower its gets harder.
When you want to slow down don't brake keep the revs up but just down shift a gear or two, backing off the throttle brings the front wheel down and it gets harder.

What ever you mind tells you... go against it, riding sand is all about keeping on the gas.
I agree 100%. Throttle is your friend, brakes are the enemy. It always helped me to ride standing up, lets the bike do its thing without me losing my balance so easy.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

You're right Ivan... it's no fun at all... I spend more than 30 minutes in that road and finally I decided to turn around (Gary was very kind following me...)

Invader... yes, peruvian coast is just sand and dunes... but if you go East, in an hour or two you can reach about (+/-) 4000 meters high.... and if you continues, you reach the rain forest... it's fun to ride here! BTW, yes... I'm using MT-60's... very good tires!

I have seen some dudes riding their bikes standing up, looks like it helps in some way... I will try to practice although I'm sure it will be not fun at the begining... but will help for future (sandy) rides.

it is what it is...

Last edited by kurt; 02-08-2012 at 07:28 PM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 PM

Stand up, lean back to lighten the front end and try not steer to much with the front tire. Use wheel spin to change direction. If you feel that you are going to crash, just pin it. It may not solve the problem, but it will end the suspense.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

it is what it is...
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:07 AM

Sand on my V? Not 4 me!
Too heavy, wheels and tyres not good .
Maybe with a lightest dirty byke....

II also think the day after, when I will have to clean up the byke: sand everywhere, stuck on chain links and sproket ...

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:32 PM

I'm with Daffy!
The above advice about speed (lots of it), throttle (more of it), braking (avoid), bar steering (also avoid), peg steering (while gassin' it!), and body position is all terrific.

If you're riding a dirtbike.
Keep in mind that, styling licks aside, the Versys has a lot more in common with the Ninja650 than the KLX650. Weight, weight distribution, and chassis geometry all conspire to make the Versys terrible on soft surfaces. As someone who has yet to master sand riding, applying the dirtbike technique of of "lean back and pin it" to your V (sportbike on stilts) is likely gonna lead to some spectacular crashes. And, as it's NOT a dirtbike, quite a few broken parts.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 05:10 PM

As in all things, experience couts. That said, I hates riding sand. My experience on the Versys in sand, is not if you're going to dump it, but when.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 PM

Be very careful riding in the sand. Last June The wife and I took a 2mph spill in deep sand in the Davy Crocket National Forest..The damage to the bike was zero,damage to the wife's tib and fib.$100,000. The panniers on the V did a job on the wifes leg. She no longer rides the gravel and sand roads.And I can't blame her for not wanting too.Ride Safe.

Last edited by bultaco; 02-09-2012 at 06:56 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

It's true that experience in sand is important... also the riding tips... and the fact that the Versys is not a KLR is more than true.
I think I will try to keep away from sand... as far as I can.

it is what it is...
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Sands tricky if your in a car. Use to run sandy back roads in South Carolina in a 68 Mustang. One day hit a turn with some really deep sand and it pitch me into an embakment on the side of the road. Not fun at all...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qixilver View Post
Stand up, lean back to lighten the front end and try not steer to much with the front tire. Use wheel spin to change direction. If you feel that you are going to crash, just pin it. It may not solve the problem, but it will end the suspense.
but...

... !

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode