09 vs. 11 - What's it worth? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
09 vs. 11 - What's it worth?

All,

Found a couple of interesting deals on holdovers - one on an 09 and one on an 11. Haven't had a chance to hash out any deals yet but would expect the 09 to come in at least $1000 less OTD than the 11. I know the upgrades from 09 to 11, but for those of you who have spent some miles on both models - is it worth a grand to go with the newer bike? I tested an 09 right before the 10's came out (and should have bought it then - local dealer had a terrific price) and liked the bike a lot. Not a long ride, but didn't really notice vibes or anything that would bother me worse than a DR/KLR650. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
From previous threads and post on the same subject. It really comes down to 2 things. #1 which models looks best to you. #2 The best price. Basically the same bike just different looks and the newer one has some rubber mounts. An extra $1000.00 will buy alot of farkles.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the repost then - I found posts on comparisons but missed the ones comparing the relative value... sorry all! Thanks weljo, I didn't see anything that changed that affected the riding performance of the bike though I know some riders think the older ones vibrate a bit too much. I don't have enough saddle time to know any better than my short ride.

And you're right, a grand is nothing to sneeze at.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 04:57 PM

Garage
Not sure what price thier offering on the 2011 but theres a dealership close to me that always seems to be at least couple of hundred less than everybody in the area's posted price. http://www.midcitieshonda.com/Default.asp

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 02-07-2012 at 05:00 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 05:06 PM

Garage
Heres a bike i've seen in person and know it has been well taken care of. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=17448 You can fly into D/FW and ride it back. I made that trip on mine last may really enjoyed the ride to cali. And you won't have that stupid canister on the left side of your bike.

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 05:42 PM

Probably depends on how long you plan on keeping it also. The 11 will be worth more when you sell it so it may be worth paying a little more. If you are keeping it for a few years it won't matter as much.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Last April I could have bought an '09 that had been registered 2 months and going on 3000 miles for $4000. The guy needed cash to pay uncle sam. If it would have been the green one I would have jumped on it. I was going from a Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 650R and just felt like it was time for a change in color. Then I was able to deal on the new '11 Versys and got it at an unbelievable price thanks to the extra $750 I got from Kawasaki's ticket to ride promotion. I'm glad I did because I think this '11 is a keeper for a while, whereas the '09 I was planning on changing the paint scheme etc to make it look the way I wanted it to look.

Regardless of the $1000 get the bike that when you get off and walk away, you just HAVE to turn around and take another look at it. Bikes really aren't that economical when you add up all the costs of ownership. I ride because I am compelled to ride, not because I save a few $ at the gas pump.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 12:26 AM

Can't Go Wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vospertw View Post
All,

Found a couple of interesting deals on holdovers - one on an 09 and one on an 11. Haven't had a chance to hash out any deals yet but would expect the 09 to come in at least $1000 less OTD than the 11. I know the upgrades from 09 to 11, but for those of you who have spent some miles on both models - is it worth a grand to go with the newer bike? I tested an 09 right before the 10's came out (and should have bought it then - local dealer had a terrific price) and liked the bike a lot. Not a long ride, but didn't really notice vibes or anything that would bother me worse than a DR/KLR650. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
The Versys buzzing on any year model ...seems to be around 4500 to 5500 rpm...but it really smooths out at 6000 rpms and above...a little...however , my 2009 at 20,000 miles is running strong and has been one of the funnest bikes I have ever owned... My 20 mile demo ride on a 2011 model was not fun because it was stock ...This was why...the seat needs reshaping , the windshield needs upgrading and the suspension needs dialing in...but I seem to do this to all my rides , also the body panels need to be shimmed with a little foam rubber here and there...don't worry about what year model...just get one and paint it your favorite color , do some easy mods and enjoy what has to be the best bang for your buck in the do it all bike scene...I hope to see ya out in our San Diego backroads sometime...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DM_04163.jpg (89.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 04-10-10-444.jpg (107.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg R1 Shock 003.jpg (81.2 KB, 92 views)

2013 White 650 Versys...Purrs like a kitty cat...
2007 Yamaha WR250F...Dirt Ripper...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 12:54 AM

Left Mirror vibes are more prominent for the 09 than the 2010/11 models, especially at the resonance RPM. Not sure for US models, but the one I have (2011) has a O2 sensor while the 2009 model does not have it.

I prefer the 2010 model looks, own preference.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

O9-Japan Made.

11-Thailand made.

the 09 has quality build in it, at least from what I have observed so far here.

IMHO.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all!

Fastoman - good to know. I noticed similar changes in build quality when the KLRs moved to Thailand.

Appreciate the input. I could care less about looks and color - I'm not very good looking myself so the bike ain't gonna help - and I would probably tweak the suspension and do a few other mods along the way. Sounds like the 09 is definitely "liveable" if the deal can be done. We'll see how the $$$ fall out.

Weljo - thanks for the scoop on the TX bike. I once did a trains/planes/automobiles trip to buy a CBR in Show Low, AZ. My wife thinks it's all crazy anyway, but she couldn't understand why I would want to go through that to ride back across the desert in July when I could have it shipped. "For the adventure" isn't necessarily in her vocabulary. But, whenever I mention a bike now, her first question is "great... what state is it in?"

Wives...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
O9-Japan Made.

11-Thailand made.

the 09 has quality build in it, at least from what I have observed so far here.

IMHO.

My '04 KLR650 was made in Thailand I believe, and gave GREAT service in the 78,000 kms I put on it!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help all. Taking a look at an 09 tomorrow. Keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode