Anybody else getting back on the V! Come on Spring! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
MTS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anybody else getting back on the V! Come on Spring!

Just before the SB game on Sunday I jumped on the V 48F degrees. Awesome ride! I love this bike. Still thinking aboat a KLX 250 and 4 wheeler. Every winter I think about a 4 wheeler. Its that cabin fever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 12:44 PM

I've been lucky this has been a mild winter. Been off and on the V through it all 27 degrees to 60 degrees. sadly the past few nice days I was unable to ride because I yanked out my lower back. Thought I was good to go last Tuesday and went for a ride and got about 20 miles when my back started hurting. Popped a turn around and rode home the rest of the way standing on the pegs because my back was in so much pain while sitting.

I think I'm good now but I'm not going to push it and will give myself a few more days off the V. So hopefully I will be riding Thursday-Tuesday if the weather holds.

But yes I too am eagerly awaiting spring. Nothing like crusing down the highway watching the sun come up with the visor cracked and getting that sweet spring air.

"Why do I ride?"

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 02:36 PM

Spring? I'm not too far away from MikeV and we haven't really gotten a winter. I broke out the battery tender in December. But since I have been getting 2-3 rides a week all winter (or so it seems..) I haven't had to put her to bed yet. Maybe the next 6 weeks we'll see some white stuff. But this winter is almost over and I'm pretty sure I won't be winterizing the V this year. It may be politically incorrect but, this global warming thing does have it's plus side too.....

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Hehehe, I rode all day yesterday. Rode North Georgia hills and into Tellico Plains, TN

So glad I don't live in NY anymore
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 PM

Man, this weather is horrible! It was 75 degrees when I went out to lunch. Had to take the liner out of my mesh jacket to keep from sweating. Oh the humanity!

Say what you want about LA.. our riding season is all the seasons
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:20 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to ZaethDekar
I live in the PNW and rode a good 200+- miles yesterday. Hit 604 on the Odom just as I pulled into my girlfriends carport around midnight. (That sounds dirty hah hah). DId my first oil change today and then had to get home to get ready for work. Clocked in right on time. :-) Oh yeah it was in the 50 degrees ish not including wind chill, but I was riding by snow a lot.

Granted I have a full suite of Gerbing gear so I was feeling toasty most the day, until the fuse vibrated enough to move out of its plug just enough to stop the heating.

Steve
34000 miles and counting!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:34 PM

Round here you get a heavy jacket and you can ride all winter
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 AM

I ride year round...only time i take the car is when the road is icy..which has happened only two days this past year

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM

My Versys IS my car! I ride every day, as long as the snow plow has been through and I can make it out of the drive way. Todays morning commute was 26F.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 228601_10150590989310322_519925321_18381803_5640640_n.jpg (79.0 KB, 57 views)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 01:23 PM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to ZaethDekar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Aviator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
I ride year round...only time i take the car is when the road is icy..which has happened only two days this past year
I have been lucky so far and have been able to use my bike every day I have had it (2 weeks 1 day). I've had a few heating glitches though so I couldn't ride for very long First day it was all fixed I went about 200 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbowers03 View Post
My Versys IS my car! I ride every day, as long as the snow plow has been through and I can make it out of the drive way. Todays morning commute was 26F.
What tires do you have rlbowers03? They look perfect for the fire roads around my place.

Steve
34000 miles and counting!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 02:38 PM

April 1st for me to reunite my bum with my V. I've spent the winter so far cleaning and farkling the V so that come spring time, she's all ready to go. All I've got left to do is decide what new tyres are going on it.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 03:07 PM

Those are TKC-80s on the V. I am running Shinkos right now as the TKC-80s get terrible milage. Not saying it's a bad thing...but for the price $$$... :-(
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Aviator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbowers03 View Post
I understand staying a little bit anonymous, but around here which is around the world on this forum. Just sayin don't have to use home address but you could tell us from what country-state? Look to the upper right!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 11:33 PM

I never got off my bike. I'm in NW Iowa and I rode 300 miles in December, 100 in January, and about 50 so far this month.

IBA # 49372
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 AM

Here in the Detroit-metropolitan area I've been getting at least one two hour ride in a week. And the temps on those rides have been in the high 40's to low 50's.

Damnedest weather I have ever seen or can remember but...we aren't complaining.
( we'd be worried about the water-tables in the region but for the fact that we've had so much rain last year that we really don't need the snow).

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Between global warming and heated gear I've got in 2 rides this past January. I find the problem is traction rather than temperature. Just don't like riding if there is any chance of ice on the roads. I find with the freeze thaw cycle and melting snow it is easy to end up with a small patch of ice where you least expect it.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:26 AM

I'm waiting for it to hit 50 here. It was real close last week but temps are back in the low 30's because Punxatawny Phil saw his shadow... I'm really itching to get out, but getting the V out means one of my cars has to be parked outside so I'd prefer it to warm up a little more.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:18 AM

In north east Ohio we need to wait until the spring time. There is too much salt on the rroads still and we need spring showers to wash it away. Otherwise you are covered in salt and its like there is a layer of sand on the road and it makes corners not very fun.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filbert View Post
I'm waiting for it to hit 50 here. It was real close last week but temps are back in the low 30's because Punxatawny Phil saw his shadow... I'm really itching to get out, but getting the V out means one of my cars has to be parked outside so I'd prefer it to warm up a little more.
If I knew heated gear was as good as it is I would have got it a long time ago. With heated gloves and heated jacket liner plus insulated motorcycle pants, I find I can be really comfy on the bike down to <32F. It has added ~3 months to my riding season.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
If I knew heated gear was as good as it is I would have got it a long time ago. With heated gloves and heated jacket liner plus insulated motorcycle pants, I find I can be really comfy on the bike down to <32F. It has added ~3 months to my riding season.
I'll definitely took a look at that so I can keep the new V out longer in the fall!

2008 Kawasaki Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode