Versys 1000 Update - Cycle World - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Versys 1000 Update - Cycle World

The March issue of Cycle World just arrived and, sensibly, I stopped what I was doing to read through it. On page 60 I found a "Riding Impression" article titled "Kawasaki Versys 1000 - Taking Adventure in a New Direction" by Adam Child, senior road tester for England's Motor Cycle News.

The second paragraph was interesting. "Kawasaki . . . admits that the bike has no real off-road capability, which makes it pretty odd from the outset. It's intended more as an "alternative touring bike" which, Kawasaki reckons, is how most adventure bikes are used anyway. In that context, the Versys - with its smooth, grunty motor, bags of comfort and reasonable price - may be onto something. Unfortunately, U.S. riders won't be getting "onto" it; the bike is not slated for sale in The States."

Quite a bit of interesting information in that short paragraph, isn't there?

Once again, for those of us in the US of A, and for better or worse, oh well.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
The March issue of Cycle World just arrived and, sensibly, I stopped what I was doing to read through it. On page 60 I found a "Riding Impression" article titled "Kawasaki Versys 1000 - Taking Adventure in a New Direction" by Adam Child, senior road tester for England's Motor Cycle News.

The second paragraph was interesting. "Kawasaki . . . admits that the bike has no real off-road capability, which makes it pretty odd from the outset. It's intended more as an "alternative touring bike" which, Kawasaki reckons, is how most adventure bikes are used anyway. In that context, the Versys - with its smooth, grunty motor, bags of comfort and reasonable price - may be onto something. Unfortunately, U.S. riders won't be getting "onto" it; the bike is not slated for sale in The States."

Once again, for those of us in the US of A, and for better or worse, oh well.
It's currently for sale in Canada and features prominently on their home page which would tend to imply it will go on sale next year in the US. Kawasaki seems to use Canada as a test market for the much larger US market.

http://www.kawasaki.ca

Last edited by Sprocket; 02-03-2012 at 02:12 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:12 PM

Garage
Kawasaki has not off road asperations for the Versys 650 either.

Suzuki does not sell the Vstrom for off road either. Even in their brochures they call it a back roads sport bike or something like that.

The Tiger is not for off road either unless you get the 800 XC.

I don't think the multistrada is considered an off road bike either.

Most of these bikes are what we called standard bikes back in the '70s and '80s.

A friend of mine who rides sport bikes would be interested in a Versys 1000 as a touring bike.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
It's currently for sale in Canada and features prominently on their home page which would tend to imply it will go on sale next year in the US. Kawasaki seems to use Canada as a test market for the much larger US market.

http://www.kawasaki.ca
Good point. Despite an illustrious history, our Birtish cousins have been wrong once or twice before - American Revolution, Gallipoli, and Jutland come to mind.

Seems the Motor Cyclist editor was merely repeating the information available to him. We "southern Canadians" deserve the machine as well - or at least the right to decide not to buy it.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 01:40 PM

I'm not sure there's much of a market for the 1000 in the US. The 650 isn't exactly anemic, and it isn't selling that well around here. I doubt there's a huge group of people who are holding off on buying the V, but would snatch it if they added 350cc and a few more features. Most of the kawi dealers around here are small shops with limited showroom space. I bed they'd just love to have two models of slow-selling Vs taking up floor space...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:05 PM

I posted this elsewhere but it may interest those who wish to see the full review that Cycle World summarized for their short article.

http://www.kawasakipress.co.uk/index...d=21&Itemid=25

The MCN article referenced is here in its entirety as well as a much more thorough review by Motorcycle Sports and Leisure.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:19 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I agree that it is likely the V1k isn't coming to the US. My local dealer sells only about 4 or 5 650cc V's a year, and he is a pretty big shop as these things go. I was hoping it was my next bike, but at this point I doubt it. Probably continue with my V for another year and hope they stroke it to 750cc in 2013...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rponiarski View Post
I agree that it is likely the V1k isn't coming to the US. My local dealer sells only about 4 or 5 650cc V's a year, and he is a pretty big shop as these things go. I was hoping it was my next bike, but at this point I doubt it. Probably continue with my V for another year and hope they stroke it to 750cc in 2013...
True enough but if they had 1000cc V's next to the 650 version I guarantee the 1000's would sell first. Here in the U.S. bigger is better, right?
I doubt Kawi will change the 650 either, look how long they kept the 500cc around. If it aint broke don't stroke it. (I just made that up ).
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 02:50 PM

Garage
How much trouble would it be to buy one in Canada and bring it across to the US and get it registered.

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
True enough but if they had 1000cc V's next to the 650 version I guarantee the 1000's would sell first. Here in the U.S. bigger is better, right?
I doubt Kawi will change the 650 either, look how long they kept the 500cc around. If it aint broke don't stroke it. (I just made that up ).
Not sure about the 1000 comment. The Vstrom showed the opposite here in the states.

I too think the 650 will remain unchanged - tweaked, sure. It's a special engine in several states of tune. What a blast for a "controllable" and "smallish" motor.

Concours C14
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on two wheels:
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk9 View Post
How much trouble would it be to buy one in Canada and bring it across to the US and get it registered.
if it's not sold in the US, it might be more complicated than the straight forward free trade way.. The US market is very attractive to Canadian riders.. lots and lots of people are buying in the US for less $ than in Canada and importing them with great ease.

I know some US riders imported the BMW K1300R to the US from Canada because it was't available there.

You may recall that the first Versys was introduced into Canada a year before it was introduced in the US. I'm sure eventually, the V 1000 will be sold in the US.

I'm getting one here in Canada because I want an upright riding position touring bike, without all the plastic of a bigger bike like the Concours14. We all know it's not an adventure touring bike, and doesn't pretend to be. It's a comfortable touring bike with a sweet engine.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post
Not sure about that. The 650 may remain unchanged for a bit (its competiton being the WeeStrom, which is still 650cc), but I doubt the V1k would sell that quickly. In this market, a smaller engined, lower cost machine would seem to do better than a bigger engined one. The 1000cc is likely to be priced around that of the Ninja 1000, over $US11,000. Compare it to the less than $US8,000 you can get the 650cc for. That is a lot of gas and farkles!

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Not sure about that. The 650 may remain unchanged for a bit (its competiton being the WeeStrom, which is still 650cc), but I doubt the V1k would sell that quickly. In this market, a smaller engined, lower cost machine would seem to do better than a bigger engined one. The 1000cc is likely to be priced around that of the Ninja 1000, over $US11,000. Compare it to the less than $US8,000 you can get the 650cc for. That is a lot of gas and farkles!
I don't think then 650 will ever change. Kawi developed a nice motor there. Why increase a little when they have the 1000 that they already put into the same type bike. Me I like the economy and low maintenance of the 650. And the much lower price that I forgot to factor in earlier.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post

Eh, no real surprises there. It's obvious from the specs that it's a road bike--1000cc inline-4 engine with 17" wheels. People need to get it through their heads that long-travel suspension does not necessarily mean off-road.

I'm pretty sad that the magazines can't wait to compare the Versys 1000 to the R1200GS. They're not at all the same class of bike. The only real bike in the same class as the Versys 1000 is the Tiger 1050, and possibly the Multistrada.

I'd rather be riding.
2005 Triumph Speed Triple | 2009 Blue Versys
1997 Suzuki DR350SE (sold) | 2004 Triumph Speed Four (sold) | 2008 ZX6R (sold) | 2008 Concours 14 (sold) | 2007 Suzuki M50 (sold) | 2006 Ninja 500 (sold)

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
The cycle world article said at press time the bike is priced at $14,878.00
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Eat Sleep Ride article on Versys 1000, nothing new but it's got a PR video....

http://eatsleepride.com/c/5254/2012+...ki+Versys+1000

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
The cycle world article said at press time the bike is priced at $14,878.00
Whoa!!! Man, that is a really big price, especially when the Ninja 1000 with ABS is only about $11,500 (that's what they told me at the NYC show last month). Don't think they will sell a lot at that price, even if they bring it to the US...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 PM

It's $14k Canadian so it should be about that in USD.

Special bike: 1968 Norton P11A
Previous bike: 2009 Versys in lovely blue
Bike for smiles: 2009 R1200R
Bike for miles: 2009 R1200GS
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
It's $14k Canadian so it should be about that in USD.
Makes my point; it is not worth a $3,000 increase over the Ninja 1000 with ABS. Too bad. Kawasaki had an opening to really try and hit the gap between the smaller Versys/V-Strom and the big BMW GS/Ducati Multistrada guys, but didn't take it...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Makes my point; it is not worth a $3,000 increase over the Ninja 1000 with ABS. Too bad. Kawasaki had an opening to really try and hit the gap between the smaller Versys/V-Strom and the big BMW GS/Ducati Multistrada guys, but didn't take it...
It has the same MSRP as the Ninja 1000 with ABS in Canada. Both bikes are listed @ $14,000 on http://www.kawasaki.ca

In comparison the base BMW 1200 GS has an MSRP (including the compulsory delivery surcharge) of $18,650 before options and the Versys 650 is $8700.

Currently the Canadian dollar is on par with the US dollar however bikes seem to be much cheaper in the US, probably due to increased market size and higher sales volumes.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/

Last edited by Sprocket; 02-14-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode