Applying Gas Tank Cowl Decals? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ryde4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Camby, Indiana USA
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Applying Gas Tank Cowl Decals?

I bought the new cowl for the right side of my gas tank. The old one was scraped from a low speed dump. But the decals are seperate.
Has anybody experienced putting on new OEM Kawasaki and Versys decals?
Does a dry application work or would you recommend the lightly soaped water solution method?
Thanks in advance!

Dennis
08 Versys
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
ryde4ever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,846
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I didn't think you could use lightly soaped water solution, but it can help with positioning and getting rid of bubbles:

http://www.xtreemedecals.com/fitting.htm
invader is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 03:53 AM
Member
 
Davy F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Soapy liquid is the best way as it enables you to slide the stickers around to get them in the perfect position. I have a small rubber squeegee that I use to work from the centre out to remove any bubbles. Never failed using this method.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
Davy F is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 03:56 AM
Member
 
MntVersys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The company I work for just applied a new 12" square decal on our cargo vans. The method used was Windex and a squeegee. They are holding up nicely.

I, too, have scratches on my right cowling (previous owner-fell over in garage), and thought I might replace it and decals. But I think I'll just get tank panniers instead.

~ Wes

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MntVersys is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
ryde4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Camby, Indiana USA
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the comments. I was leaning toward the "wet" method. I had watched a couple youtube videos about it. I will go that route.
I hate riding a scratched up bike, unless it is a dirt or true dual-sport. Then they are battle scars.

Dennis
08 Versys
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
ryde4ever is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Member
 
Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: western Massachusetts
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A naked tank cowl is a blank canvas...good time to consider something other than Kawasaki. See examples in this thread.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
Bones is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
ryde4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Camby, Indiana USA
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
A naked tank cowl is a blank canvas...good time to consider something other than Kawasaki. See examples in this thread.
You are right, very cool stuff!
But I actually like the stock decals. (Yeah, I know, I'm boring )
And I already bought them.
That reminds me. Thanks to whoever it was that suggested partshark.com.
It was cheaper for me to buy my new OEM parts there than Bikebandit with the AMA discount.
Plus I found out that partshark is part of Flatout Motorsports right here in Indy, so I helped support a local company.

Dennis
08 Versys
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
ryde4ever is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had to replace mine on the left side for the same reason, and since they are pressure sensitive adhesives there is no need for water. I measured carefully the good side and used masking tape to locate the spot. Sort of a cheap registration job. I work at a place that for 50+ years has made millions of adhesive backed nameplates so I knew how to handle them. Good luck.
massconn72 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Member
 
Arion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX & Moosehead Lake, ME
Posts: 3,297
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryde4ever View Post
That reminds me. Thanks to whoever it was that suggested partshark.com.
It was cheaper for me to buy my new OEM parts there than Bikebandit with the AMA discount.
Plus I found out that partshark is part of Flatout Motorsports right here in Indy, so I helped support a local company.
Don't know if I'm the only one, but I did recommend PartShark. You're welcome

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Arion is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ryde4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Camby, Indiana USA
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post
I had to replace mine on the left side for the same reason, and since they are pressure sensitive adhesives there is no need for water. I measured carefully the good side and used masking tape to locate the spot. Sort of a cheap registration job. I work at a place that for 50+ years has made millions of adhesive backed nameplates so I knew how to handle them. Good luck.
This dry method worked very well. I measured and taped off the area for both stickers. Started at one end and pushed and rubbed it down a little bit at a time. No bubbles and looks great. Whatever the adhesive is that they use it is very cooperative. I usually end up with bubbles under decals. Not this time.

Now when it warms up a bit (which means the garage will warm a bit) I can get the tank and radiator cowls replaced and the T-Rex sliders on.
Going to be ordering some Giv v35 side cases soon. I already have the PLX rack on the bike.
Man I am ready for Spring!
(BTW - I am in Indy and the temp dropped drastically after last weeks Super Bowl. Low 20's F)

Dennis
08 Versys
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
ryde4ever is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryde4ever View Post
This dry method worked very well. I measured and taped off the area for both stickers. Started at one end and pushed and rubbed it down a little bit at a time. No bubbles and looks great. Whatever the adhesive is that they use it is very cooperative. I usually end up with bubbles under decals. Not this time.

Now when it warms up a bit (which means the garage will warm a bit) I can get the tank and radiator cowls replaced and the T-Rex sliders on.
Going to be ordering some Giv v35 side cases soon. I already have the PLX rack on the bike.
Man I am ready for Spring!
(BTW - I am in Indy and the temp dropped drastically after last weeks Super Bowl. Low 20's F)
It's been cold here today too. About 25. But this week we are going to high 40's so I may be on the road here in CT. Glad to hear you got the decal on ok. I didn't think it would be a big deal.
massconn72 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome