Completed Rider Course - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Completed Rider Course

Just finished the 2nd level rider course today. What a great day to practice some riding skills. As expected I had the only V in the group of twelve. I got lots of attention and compliments on the bike. It was not as out of the ordinary as the Royal Enfield that was there, but it was the tallest!! LOL. Lots of harley riders and a few sport bikes. My buddy that took the course with me rode his BMW 1200GS.

So not a single word or drill with engine braking involved. The main focus was using MAXIMUM breaking with front AND rear brakes, while avoiding skidding, down shifting to 1st with out engine braking (no clutch release). The whole purpose of down shifting is to be able to quickly get moving if needed. For instance you stopped but the cage driver behind you won't be able to.

Hopefully I will be able to attend the next level of training soon. This one was just one step up from the basic rider course, so it seemed more like a review. Still a good day!!

Last edited by jagrugger; 01-31-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:56 PM

Congratulations-
I just got my MSF Instructor certificate late last season- just in time for the October snowstorm to cancel the last class of the season, and take with it my only chance to teach before the winter hiatus.
Spring will be here soon...

I agree- the V is a great bike for the range exercises---
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Here are some pics from todays course. If you look closely at the two pics of all the bikes you can see the V's seat behind the yellow BMW and then again in the background standing tall above all the other bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-01-31_13-30-54_723.jpg (62.1 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-01-31_14-21-54_632.jpg (66.0 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-01-31_14-22-44_101.jpg (61.9 KB, 94 views)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrugger View Post
So not a single word or drill with engine braking involved. The main focus was using MAXIMUM breaking with front AND rear brakes, while avoiding skidding, down shifting to 1st with out engine braking (no clutch release). The whole purpose of down shifting is to be able to quickly get moving if needed. For instance you stopped but the cage driver behind you won't be able to.
Of course they didn't speak about engine braking. That's used in every day riding. You are learning and practicing emergency maneuvers (which is excellent to do BTW). Unless you always plan on MAXIMUM braking at every stop light or sign, I would not be quick to discount the benefits of good coordinated downshifting as well.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 PM

Garage
Thanks for the information. I need to be reminded to sign up for an "experienced" riders course since I am too busy to remember most of the time.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 06:19 PM

congrats!

KJ

2013 Suzuki V-Strom
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650-ADV
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha TW200
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Suzuki GS425 (long gone)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 PM

I just noticed they had a "level 2" course with your own bike. Looking into taking that now, and I'm looking for a dirt bike riders course somewhere around as well. I've been riding 3 wheelers and quads since I was five but never got the hang of dirt bikes.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 12:11 AM

x

Last edited by AzItLies; 10-23-2012 at 02:55 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:52 AM
MTS

Congrats! I cann't tell you how much I have learned on this forum from good fellow riders sharing some good out comes and not so good out comes of real life happenings!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Aviator View Post
I just noticed they had a "level 2" course with your own bike. Looking into taking that now, and I'm looking for a dirt bike riders course somewhere around as well. I've been riding 3 wheelers and quads since I was five but never got the hang of dirt bikes.
They aren't too bad. I grew up riding dirt and only recently joined you guys on the street. The biggest thing with the dirt is feeling the bike move around a lot more than you're probably used to. And, go easy on the front brakes. I all but forgot about the level 2 course. I meant to take that last Fall. That can be a summer present to myself after the semester is over.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:00 PM

Good reminder. I've been meaning to sign up for the next class. Beginner was easy but I learned a lot. Next one should be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode