Bash plate options - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bash plate options

I took the advice I got from my 'getting familiar with dirt' thread, and got out on dirt this weekend. Quite fun, but I kept hearing gravel and little bits and pieces pop up off the front tire and contact the bike. I was going pretty dern slow, but hope to be able to zip along a little faster on my next run.

So: bash plates.

I see the SW Motech and HT option. There's talk of the formerly available algard model - but the links to it are all dead. Are those my only two choices?

I want the plastic, lower side covers gone - SW's option wins there. But the dern thing is $240 compared to $200 with HT. Other opinions on the differences in these?

To be clear - I'm just looking for a modicum of protection down there; a bit of aluminium plate to keep kick-up off the exhaust headers. I've got SW's crash bars, so likely I'll stay with SW. Just looking for options.

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:16 PM

The HT version is about the ugliest thing I have ever seen on a bike. I made a shield for my KLX with a sheet of steel and a hammer that looks better. I do like the look of the other one but that is pretty spendy. I'll be making my own eventually. Not very many choices yet.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Algard is out of business. Forum member Tinner made some almost identical but he sold all he had. I scored a new never used Algard by posting for one in the Wanted section of the forum. You might want to get a Fenda Extenda and a Radiator Cover.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:01 PM

Keep in mind that if you find one of the plates made by Algard or Tinner, they really look better with the lower plastic side covers on the bike (well, in my opinion, anyways). If the goal is to remove those, then the best choices are either the SW Motech or the Happy Trails.

Cheers,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Keep in mind that if you find one of the plates made by Algard or Tinner, they really look better with the lower plastic side covers on the bike (well, in my opinion, anyways). If the goal is to remove those, then the best choices are either the SW Motech or the Happy Trails.

Cheers,
Dave C
+1

IMG_0099 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0089 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

From a Honda trail bike. ABS material and Ok so far.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM

I'll sell this one. PM me with an offer. It's going to be on ebay in a few days but I'll give the forum first dibs.

IBA # 49372
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
I'll sell this one. PM me with an offer. It's going to be on ebay in a few days but I'll give the forum first dibs.

Thats an Algard..... Heres photos for an install..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7629109969223/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
Pm Sent
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Thats an Algard..... Heres photos for an install..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7629109969223/
Unfortunately, the above link appears to be dead (page not found)..weljo2001, can you have a look?

I posted an archive copy of the original site in this post. I think I also have the instructions in a word document here...somewhere. If anyone wants it, let me know and I'll post it.

Thanks,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 05:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Unfortunately, the above link appears to be dead (page not found)..weljo2001, can you have a look?

I posted an archive copy of the original site in this post. I think I also have the instructions in a word document here...somewhere. If anyone wants it, let me know and I'll post it.

Thanks,
Dave C
I saw he sold it on ebay so didn't think the photos would be needed so i took them off my flikr page. But have them if anybody needs them.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:24 PM

Garage
Had a couple of request for the Algard Install Photos so i put them back up..http://www.flickr.com/photos/5418178...7629122852831/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 PM

Yeah I should have asked more for that plate. It went in just a few hours from when I put it online.

IBA # 49372
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode