Track day - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Track day

I finally got my V on the track yesterday and what a lot of fun I had .

Myself Louis and MarcoPaulo all members here went to the track day .

Bike handled amazingly well , was making up time on the corners as I could accelerate flat out from the apex of the turn and not had any tyre spin or slip from the back . ( Standard tyres )

Although the brakes dont feel up to scratch compared to sport bikes they worked really well , I had no brake fade , although Louis said he was getting a bit of fade towards the end of the 15 minute sessions .

Performance is slightly lacking against the bigger sport bikes who could get past under power on the straights , the track was short 2.4 km's so cornering makes up for quicker laps .

I tried to get the rear tyre to the edge but only managed 5mm from the edge
when the foot peg scraped , will look at taking the pins off the pegs for the next time to get it lower .

Also got comments from some of the spectators that the V with the Penta pipe sounds like a Ducati going around the track .

Will post some pics as soon as they sorted .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 06:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 08:20 AM

Sounds like a great time. I want to take my V (or any bike really) on the track sometime.

-Alan
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 AM

Cool beans!!! Is that a V in the lead? Are those the stock tires? How did they do?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:01 AM

Looks like fun, I may have to try it sometime.

As for brakes. Add a set of braided lines to the front. It makes a world of difference. No fade, excellent feedback, and modulation is much easier.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

sharrison56 - that was me in front of group C after I started at the back , I will try group B next month when I go again . Tires are stock , bike has done 8000 km , never had any problem with the tires , grip was superb .

mudarra - worth trying , will teach you a lot about what the bike is capable of and improve your riding skill , also no obstacles like cars , people , lamp poles .
My brakes where fine , may still look at braided hoses in the near future .
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 08:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
I want to take mine so bad but don't think I ever will.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:53 AM

Very cool! Must be a lot of fun on the track!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 06:48 PM

Doing a track day at Jennings GP in North Florida in the beginning of November with the V. Based on your pics and review Shawn, cant wait! I noticed your lights are not taped up. Not required in South Africa?

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 08:00 PM

Thumbs up Wicked Cool!

Good onya!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 08:26 PM

What do you have to do to your bike for a track day in the states?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
What do you have to do to your bike for a track day in the states?
In most cases it works like this:
Beginners- tape lights and signals, remove mirrors.
Intermediate- same as above plus no coolant, water only in radiator.
Advanced-all of the above plus safety wire oil fill cap and rotor bolts.

What group youre in is usually determined by your speed and ability on the track.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"

Last edited by antman325; 10-14-2008 at 11:19 PM.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
Doing a track day at Jennings GP in North Florida in the beginning of November with the V. Based on your pics and review Shawn, cant wait! I noticed your lights are not taped up. Not required in South Africa?
Taping not required here .

You will enjoy it .

Going to do another track day end of November , will have replaced the stock tyre by then , so I can compare .
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 03:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to Ron McColl
I have taken the V to 6 track days over the last year. On the originol Dunlops I found I could get a nice power slidout of most bends after a little suspension tuning. (Very large grin) Have since gone to a mixed compound tyre and slides just can't happen.
here we have what are called rider development days run by Honda. Riders from absolute learners that have never sat on a bike through to very high power bikes and very experienced riders come to these days. They are devided into groups based on ability and do approx 15min sessions. Arron Slight (honda race team) comes along with other prffessional riders to coach riders on race lines, road lines, front brake only, rear only,no brake, ride position. ya get the picture. the dealers support this and help with tuning of the bike ..tyre pressures, suspention etc. best thing is they do not restrict what bread bike you ride. Better still is most insurance companies cover the bikes for these days. Ether way they are a lot of fun and recommend if you get the chance go for that track days... excellant fun
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Hello guys, new member here. I was planning on taking my Versys to a track day, but was nervous as to how it would perform. But after looking at this thread I'm looking forward to it! Any advice you would give to me? This would be my first track day ever and it will be either Homestead or PBIR (Moroso).
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:18 PM

Oh man my stomach is sinking as I type. Two years ago I looked at an SV650. I was deterred by the insurance: $1384/yr @ Nationwide, $1250yr @ Progressive, ... all major players over $1000/yr full coverage . I contacted my insurance rep who wasn't really sure why it was so high considering its a sport standard. Then I contacted my AMA rep. He said it was because the SV650 became a track-day favorite and the insurance industry followed suit and raised the rates. I shudder to think what my insurance rates will be in a couple years.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
Hello guys, new member here. I was planning on taking my Versys to a track day, but was nervous as to how it would perform. But after looking at this thread I'm looking forward to it! Any advice you would give to me? This would be my first track day ever and it will be either Homestead or PBIR (Moroso).

1. Make sure your tires are good. Worn tires wont grip well at the increased lean angles you can achieve on the track. You may also want to drop a couple of PSI per tire. This helps the tire to grip better.

2. Ride at about 80% of what you think you can really do. This leaves some room for error and correction. Riding at 100% is a recipe for crashing. Don't get caught up in what other people are doing. If they are faster, so what. There is no title up for grabs.

3. Drink lots of fluids. Your body will be working harder than you think out there. Not having enough fluids can affect your concentration and reaction time.

4. Try and get some sleep the night before. You will be pretty anxious to get it on and sometimes that makes it hard to sleep. Avoid beer/liquor the night before as a sleep aid though.

5. Have fun. After your first couple of sessions, you will be much more relaxed and all the nerves should be worked out by then. That's when the fun begins!

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:50 PM

Just came out of a novice track course in Montreal with my friend and it was fantastic!

Came to the track with 1/2 inch chicken strip, came out with none! Scraped the peg feelers, removed them and still scraped the pegs..my problem though for the after the peg feelers removes, I was leaning the bike too much with me.

Some expert racers where impressed by our performance on the track given that we were driving a versys and not the typical sport bike!

I had a blast with the V and will definitely go back soon for another advanced course!

Have fun guys, the track is really the place to try and see what the versys can do!

4tire!
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

2007 Black Versys, Barkbuster VPS Handguards, Mushrooms K10001-109, Pirelli Diablo Rosso, CQlights HID 5000K kit, Givi V46 Top Case.

Shoei Multitec, Rukka X-TRAFIT Gloves, Rukka Steel Jacket, Rukka Unit Pants, Dainese B.B.2 D-Dry Boots

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tire View Post
Just came out of a novice track course in Montreal with my friend and it was fantastic!

Came to the track with 1/2 inch chicken strip, came out with none! Scraped the peg feelers, removed them and still scraped the pegs..my problem though for the after the peg feelers removes, I was leaning the bike too much with me.

Some expert racers where impressed by our performance on the track given that we were driving a versys and not the typical sport bike!

I had a blast with the V and will definitely go back soon for another advanced course!

Have fun guys, the track is really the place to try and see what the versys can do!
So was this your first time at the track ?? what tires were your running & any pics to share?? Glad you had a great time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode