top case that will break away in a crash? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

top case that will break away in a crash?

Do you know of a topcase mounting system that will break away on impact? I know I've seen one before, with a replaceable break-away part, but can't find it now. Caribou has this for sidecases.

The subframe of my last bike was bent in part by forces applied through the Givi topcase. The rack it was on bent more, and one of two round luggage retainers on the adapter plate popped out of the case.

Anyway if the case had come off without twisting the subframe it might have been nice. Hope to get hard luggage on the Versys soon, and narrowing down my choices. Cheapest is going with Givi since I still have 2 40l cases. But I'd like to explore other options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 07:03 PM

Garage
A bent subframe would be the least of my worries. That is what insurance is for. It is the thought of this old body going through that trauma that keeps me riding sane these days.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
A bent subframe would be the least of my worries. That is what insurance is for. It is the thought of this old body going through that trauma that keeps me riding sane these days.
Well I walked away, but the bike didn't. I let insurance have it, but if I'd known I was replacing it with something so similar, I would have kept it for the salvage value. Bought the Versys the day after insurance picked up the bike.

Some of the bending may have been due to the impact from behind--see the mismatch between the tail plastics and the plastics in front:

But I think the twisting was due to forces applied at the top case:

Bike and I got pushed sideways into the vehicle in front. Not sure if the damage from the top case was from that impact or when we hit the ground. Most likely it was when we hit the vehicle in front, so the top case may have protected me from some of the impact. It still hurt.

I guess I won't worry about this issue anymore. Next up: top rack/side rack compatibility

Last edited by davidg; 01-28-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode