Wheel Bearing removal - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Kle

Wheel Bearing removal

I am thinking about powder coating my rims soon, so I need to remove them somehow. First question, how do I get them out? Are they hard to punch out? Should I just replace them with new ones anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 12:19 AM

See page 350 in the 2007 Versys Repair Manual... Replace removed bearings and hub grease seals with new ones.

https://rs18tl6.rapidshare.com/#!dow...EECE5357F0|0|0

Front hub bearings: 2 x 6004 (C3) with rubber seal on both sides.
Rear hub bearings: 2 x 6204 (C3) with rubber seal on both sides, 1 x 6205 (C3) with rubber seal on both sides.

Search bearing #: http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Make sure you seal up your hubs for the powder coating, to prevent having to remove any overspray which may interfere with bearing and seal installation (as seen on OC Chopper Builders).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 06:20 AM

Had my wheels powdercoated last year and they turned out great. With the recommendation of my powdercoater I just pulled dust caps and left the bearing in. Depending on type,infrared ovens go to 200+ deg for 20 min which is nothing for the bearings. Mine only had 1000 or so miles on them so I left them in replaced dust caps, smeared a little grease and have had no problems. This is just my 2 cents for what its worth. If you have a lot of miles I'd definately replace them.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 10:14 AM

If you are bothering to remove your wheel bearings you might as well replace them, since they are cheap and they will likely be damaged by removal. I would highly recommend buying a bearing puller - I got one for about $150 at Princess Auto (like Harbour Freight, only for Canada). The bearings can be removed with a long punch inserted from the opposite side of the wheel, but it is time-consuming and frustrating. The bearing puller makes the job so easy. You'll also need a socket the same size as the outside diameter of the bearing you're installing, which you use to hammer the new bearing into place. There are 3 bearings in the back wheel - 2 different sizes, so you need 2 large sockets for reinstall. Take the new bearings with you to HF to get the right size sockets. Another trick is to put the bearings in the freezer before installing them in the wheel: it'll shrink them a wee bit and make installation easier. One of my back wheel bearings was pooched at 50k kms, so it's definitely something to check periodically. Good luck.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Kle

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

I think I 'm just going to replace the bearings and try to punch them out with a hammer/screw driver method... nearest Princess auto for me is 5 hours away but I should check CTC... well, I'll find out how frustrating it'll be tomorrow.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 01:48 PM

I hope you're successful but I would start counting my Canadian Tire money. All the best.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 02:34 PM

Another trick is to put the bearings in the freezer before installing them in the wheel: it'll shrink them a wee bit and make installation easier.

Along with cooling the bearings use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the area where the bearings seat.

If you get lucky the bearings will require little force to seat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:12 AM

Should be easy to knock it out and put it in back.
Replace front and rear rim bearings with SKF bearings.
Still working well as swap my old silver rims on the 2011 V black ones.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode