Woo Hoo that was close - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Woo Hoo that was close

Dodged two deer standing in the center lane last night on the way home. I was traveling at 60 mph. I always look just beyond the headlights, which bode well last night. The two deer suddenly appeared in front of me. I had just enough time to slightly apply the brakes and switch lanes to swerve around them. Thankfully I was the only person on the road so the left lane was empty. The little knuckleheads weren't even crossing they were just standing there facing each other. I could have reached out and touched them as I passed them that's how close it was. I was very fortuntate I did not make road meat out of them!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 12:22 PM

Well done! Glad you came out alright.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrugger View Post
. . . I was very fortuntate I did not make road meat out of them!!!
Or more importantly, yourself.

Don't remember precisely what size Florida deer are. If they're like Texas deer, they're smaller than a Great Dane, though it's still not something to run into. Where I become very alert and cautious is while riding in central Maine during the summer. Deer are large and moose are VERY large and neither is a creature I care to hit - even a glancing blow.

We hit a deer on a dark night some years ago in my wife's Ford Taurus and it resulted in the car being totaled by the insurance company. Rather exciting but neither of us was badly hurt. On two wheels, no thank you!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:40 PM
MTS

Glad you made it!!
People killed all the time here! On bikes, cars, truckes, ect. Almost everyone has a deer story! Bison are bad too!
Years ago one guy hit a grizz on his harley it killed him.
One night I hit a huge cow. What a mess. Totaled everything. Night time 90% more chance of mishap. No thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 03:01 PM

Glad you avoided a collision!

My 1989 Virginia MC book (that the DMV issues for test study) has a statistic listed in the front that I thought was interesting. Your chances of avoiding an accident are 10 times greater on a MC than a car, but if involved in a collision your injuries are likely to be 3 times worse. Not sure if that is accurate or not, but I feel that there is some merit there. I have had some close calls over the years that I feel that were better handled on two wheels than in my car.

Happy to hear it was a near hit only!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 PM

Garage
I'm reading your post and read two deer, then I read road meat, I think huh? Then I look at where you are located and then I understand. It would take two Florida deer to make a meal. LOL! Glad you were able to avoid them.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
It would take two Florida deer to make a meal. LOL! Glad you were able to avoid them.
You got that right!....
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you made all in one piece- could have gone either way, so say your prayers and be careful next time around.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Life's full of close calls glad you got through that one. Had a few scares with the odd stray sheep and even cattle but the thing that freaks me out the most is silly rabbits that run under your front tyre on a bend.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:00 PM

I had to slow down from 60 mph at night for a pair of Moose getting on the highway at the bend. They then just trotted along the highway in my lane for a bit as I pulled a few wheelies on their rear hide until they went off in the bush... Male, or bull moose weigh 900 to 1400 lbs (410-635 Kgs). Females, or cows, weigh 700 to 1100 lbs (380-500 Kgs).

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

Is That you Invader with the camera?

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:03 AM

Haha no... I'd love to pet a live Moose though. They have beautiful fur, and excellent steak to eat.
I did sideswipe one in my car once on the highway at night in the snow. It left a couple dents on the right side with some Moose hair strands still stuck to the car. The end of the guard rail on the other side of the road at beginning of curve in the road did cut open the left doors and wrecked the rear wheel... I was able to swerve and avoid having the Moose crash through windshield and roof, and killing my two passengers.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 06:25 AM

For such a gunned up country you don't hunt nearly enough.

I always say good saves should be more appreciated.
Give yourself a tap on the back for being a great rider with lightning reflexes.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 10:23 AM
GDI

re: that pic of a guy petting a moose on the snout. . . .

That's not a very good idea is it? I've always heard that they're a tempermental beast that can do some damage. Not that we really have any around here. So, is that a photoshop? Somebody pulling our lariet?

GDI
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
silly rabbits that run under your front tyre on a bend.
I have hit one of these on my old bike coming into my subdivision. It was on a curve. His buddy went onto the sidewalk, the one I hit was close to the median so I went right, unfortunately it also went right. I decided to try and slow down, but it was too late. The bike has platforms for foot rests and I felt it hit my foot then the foot rest. Was not a good ending to that rabbits night!

Funny thing about all this is I am scheduled for an experienced rider course next week. I am glad I will make it! It would have sucked to have to take that course on a new bike I had not got to know yet!!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrugger View Post
I have hit one of these on my old bike coming into my subdivision. It was on a curve. His buddy went onto the sidewalk, the one I hit was close to the median so I went right, unfortunately it also went right. I decided to try and slow down, but it was too late. The bike has platforms for foot rests and I felt it hit my foot then the foot rest. Was not a good ending to that rabbits night!
Rabbits have a real bad habit in my experiance of changing direction and running right back in front of m front tyre after i think i have missed them, have hit the odd rabbit after riding home from a night shift at 7am. My method is to not swerve but hold a straight line.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 06:46 PM

I had my scare with a dog back in November, which I wrote up here: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=17712

Hitting a couple of deer would have really hurt, and they probably wouldn't dial 911 for you either! Glad you made it safely.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
I had my scare with a dog back in November, which I wrote up here: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=17712

Hitting a couple of deer would have really hurt, and they probably wouldn't dial 911 for you either! Glad you made it safely.
WOW that was a close one as well. The instructor at the MSF course said dogs are the only animal with a built in radar that can predict the exact inercept point. The defense if able to see the dog coming was to vary speed! Unfortunatley for you it didn't seem you had the chance.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Rabbits have a real bad habit in my experiance of changing direction and running right back in front of m front tyre after i think i have missed them, have hit the odd rabbit after riding home from a night shift at 7am. My method is to not swerve but hold a straight line.
Yup, mine was like at 2 am. I work night shift as well. I saw them in enough of advance to "move over" with out swerving, but when it decided to jump in front of me..well.. "it was either me or the rabbit" LOL
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:43 PM
MTS

Dam invader you got some nadds! I would never get that close to a moose! Even back in the day with a few brew on board! I have seen what they can do. I wouldn't do that again! It might run over you!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode