How is Parts Shark... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

How is Parts Shark...

to deal with? They seem to have the best prices for OEM parts. Is anyone familiar with their shipping times and shipping rates compared with the others? Any issues dealing with them?

I need a few things for my new-to-me V and I'm trying to keep cost under control.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 AM

I'm not familiar with that source; however, I have bought OEM parts from two sources - Cheap Cycle Parts and Bike Bandit, both of which are good to deal with (so far) and ship reasonably quickly.

I will say that Bike Bandit is the "better" of the two because, as it turns out for the most part, Cheap Cycle Parts is not the cheaper of the two.

Just goes to show that a name isn't everything.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 AM

Your question tweaked my curiosity so I did some quick research. First of all, it would appear from their web site that Part Shark is a well established company providing parts for much more than motorcycles.

More importantly, their prices beat both Bike Bandit and Cheap Cycle Parts - by a good amount, at least in my test-pricing effort.

I recently re-installed the stock muffler and had to order some bits and pieces to mount it. Here's an interesting price comparison (too bad I wasn't aware of Part Shark when I ordered).

Codes: PS = Part Shark; BB = Bike Bandit; and CCP = Cheap Cycle Parts (not very clever but who cares).

Part 92153, Bolt, 8 x 165mm: PS - $4.57, BB - $6.90, CCP - $7.31

Part 92027, Collar, flanged: PS - $4.56, BB - $6.88, CCP - $7.29

Part 92160, Damper: PS - $2.21, BB - $3.71, CCP - $4.54

Part 92210, Nut, 8mm: PS - $1.05, BB - $1.62, CCP - $2.30

Part 11061, Gasket, exhaust: PS - $4.57, BB - $6.90, CCP - $7.31

Buying just one of each part (more than one of several parts are needed to mount the muffler) would amount to: PS - $16.96, BB - $26.01, CCP - $28.75

That's more than a little savings! I believe I'll try Part Shark the next time I need OEM bits for my Versys.

Even if Part Shark charges higher shipping than the other two sources, it would have to be outrageous to make up for the price differences - and I wouldn't expect that to be the case. (Disclaimer - the above comparison is contingent upon my chart-reading abilities and simple addition skills).

Arion

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:28 AM

Just remember that sometimes if the price is close (you choose the percentage difference) go ahead and use a local Kawi dealer for parts. It keeps them in business, makes your face known.

I have done this with my car and it has helped me when I have had dealer only repairs done

Hoping to become a rider soon
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:50 AM

Damn, my curiosity is getting the better of me today - it must be the rain. I decided to order the windshield mounting bolts, washers, dampers, and nuts (four of each) I've been thinking about - from Part Shark.

Here's the bottom line: Part Shark - $23.40 for parts & $9.00 shipping = $32.40 total. Bike Bandit - $38.28 for parts alone (shipping unknown). That's a savings of $14.88 just for the parts, and they're niggling little parts as well.

I'm not bad-mouthing Bike Bandit (I've bought a bunch of stuff from them) and I also support local dealerships (as they will attest), especially when I believe they will have what I need in stock.

Arion

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 07:32 PM

I recently placed an order with PartShark and was completely satisfied.
Great pricing and communication concerning status of the order with reasonable shipping charges. The lead time to fill the order was acceptable.

Follow the link for their shipping charges:

http://www.partshark.com/custompage3.asp?pg=shipping

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Rates are based on the total price of your order.
This method of charging shipping irritates me. I prefer to pay the actual shipping cost. If you order a handful of small expensive parts that they could drop into a $5 if-it-fits-it-ships box, you'll end up paying much more than you should simply because of the parts total. At least they're up front about the cost; some of these outfits make you go through the whole ordering procedure before you can find out what the shipping will cost.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode