Saw this ad from a local dealer - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Saw this ad from a local dealer

They are selling a Versys you cannot register in California at a California motorcycle dealer
This dealer is in Roseville,ca near Sacramento,ca

Last edited by southbark; 01-04-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:43 PM

Well, all they need to do is go put 5k more miles on the odo, and it's good to go. Bueller? Bueller??

I wonder if it's really a CA bike that just had the evap system pulled off...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:46 PM

Less than 2K miles...wow. Wonder what THAT story is...

Someday is not a day of the week.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:54 PM

WOW! Did you see the dealer fees for a USED bike? Are all dealerships in CA like that?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 PM

09 Versys are good for CA. Could it be a mistake? Its an 09 but the dealer was looking at the 08 specs
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
09 Versys are good for CA. Could it be a mistake? Its an 09 but the dealer was looking at the 08 specs
If you want to register an out of state motorcycle it must have atleast 7500 miles on it to be registered in California. It has to do with smog crap and it's a dumb law.

Last edited by southbark; 01-04-2012 at 10:23 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Versys sold in California have a charcoal canister on the left side just. Below the the fuel tank
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
Well, all they need to do is go put 5k more miles on the odo, and it's good to go. Bueller? Bueller??

I wonder if it's really a CA bike that just had the evap system pulled off...
I saw the ad for that bike (or a similar one) for sale before I bought mine.

Whatever it's history, if it is registered in another state, and doesn't have a CA emissions sticker then you either need to have owned it prior to moving to California, or it's gotta have 7500 miles. And if someone has already taken it to DMV and tried to register it, apparently it will be blacklisted, and going on a road trip to rack up the miles isn't gonna work.

Maybe the dealer hopes to sell it to someone from NV...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The DMV here in California are worthless. I just registered my bike here in november. The bike had 9600 miles on it. I get a letter in december telling me i need to take it to the CHP for inspection. When i get to the CHP the guy looks at my bike an ask why are you here Your bike has over 7500 miles on it.They should have taken care of you at the DMV.So he types up a form for me to send to the DMV.Thats been a couple of weeks ago still haven't heard anything.......Welcome To California

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-05-2012 at 02:59 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 02:31 PM

Looks like a decent deal. If somebody wants to buy that I will be happy to put the required miles on it and return it with an Oregon plate.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbark View Post
Versys sold in California have a charcoal canister on the left side just. Below the the fuel tank
Not just a charcoal canister, but some other round widget, bunch of fuel hoses, I think a vacuum hose, some hose that goes ???, and I believe a modified fuel tank (do the 49-state tanks have the two outlets on top front left?). All this to keep the thousands of gallons of year that will evaporate from YOUR tank from killing endangered baby seals in southern sri lanka, or some such nonsense. Besides being a pain in the ass to deal with, especially if you drop your bike or overfill the tank, the Versys put this whole assembly in a horrible place. The EX-500 buried it down inside the works, under the tank mounts, out of the way. The V just kinda stuck it on the side like a farkle. They could have at least added a second bit of tupperware on the right side to balance out the looks...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
Not just a charcoal canister, but some other round widget, bunch of fuel hoses, I think a vacuum hose, some hose that goes ???, and I believe a modified fuel tank (do the 49-state tanks have the two outlets on top front left?)...
I believe the tanks are the same, but hit "SEARCH" - Invader and I've both posted about how to get rid of the canister, and do the hoses correctly so there are no problems.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I believe the tanks are the same, but hit "SEARCH" - Invader and I've both posted about how to get rid of the canister, and do the hoses correctly so there are no problems.
Yeah i'll be doing that eventually, but my bike's so new though that I don't have the heart to go ripping into it's guts quite yet. I can can confirm though that the SW-Motech engine bars will fit just fine even with the evap system still in place. I did cut a small notch in the plastic cover to clear one of the bolts, but that may not even be necessary...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode