long overdue post - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

long overdue post

as a new years resolution i decided to finally post a note here on the versys forum and thank everyone on the site for helping me set up what has turned out to be a fun, fun, fun little motorcycle. i bought an 09 leftover bargain last february and began riding immediately. (btw- it is cold here in pa. that time of year, but who could wait.) i found the forum shortly thereafter and i was hooked. great work everyone. special props to tinner and his gravel guard along with mikes shields. both solid additions to my ride. its refreshing to find independent people making such good stuff. also a shout out to jd for being a such a terrific contributor and general inspiration.

anyway, besides racking up 6500 miles all over pa. and n.j. and n.y. this summer i had the good fortune to do 2 1/2 weeks out west with three friends. we trailered our bikes on a sprinter van and took turns driving straight through to bozeman, montana. from there it was just motorcycles and camp gear. the riding was just amazing and the versys was a blast. pavement or dirt, i couldn't have asked for more.(the only hitch was a balky radiator fan -really no big deal except climbing at high elevations. it was under warranty and replaced upon my return.)

i guess i never assembled a true ride report, but here is a link to a video collection of some of the photos from the trip.

again, thanks to everyone for contributing to this site and turning it into such a good resource. happy new year......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:48 PM

Garage
Looks like a good time was had by all.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 04:20 PM

Enjoyed your video. Looks like someone put together a great travel plan.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:35 AM

Looks like a great trip, & well done! on the Video. Thanks for posting!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
Enjoyed your video. Looks like someone put together a great travel plan.
i gotta tell ya, its hard to underestimate the importance of the gazetteer....those maps are pretty terrific. gps has its place, but imho old school maps (with elevations) still rule....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 AM

Cool video! I really want to do a trip like that.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Nice video, thanks for sharing.

Green 2009 Versys <GIVI V35 Hardcases w/green OEM trim & admore light kit> <GIVI V46NF Monokey Top case w/integrated stoplight> <GIVI PLX447 sidecase mount> <GIVI 447FZ topcase mount> <Speedy's Lowering Kit with Flatfoot> <Front of seat raised 9/16"> <Speedy's peg lowering kit> <Aprillia Tuono mirrors> <Speedy's vibe dampening handlebar risers> <RAM handlebar GPS mount> <Speedy's swingarm spools> <Givi D405ST windshield> <Barkbuster VPS handguards> <Madstad adj windshield mount>
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

That's real biking-Thanks for sharing.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Nice soundtrack to your video. What is the artist/song?

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 12:20 PM

Moto Guzzi Rider...

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmurphy1 View Post
as a new years resolution i decided to finally post a note here on the versys forum and thank everyone on the site for helping me set up what has turned out to be a fun, fun, fun little motorcycle. i bought an 09 leftover bargain last february and began riding immediately. (btw- it is cold here in pa. that time of year, but who could wait.) i found the forum shortly thereafter and i was hooked. great work everyone. special props to tinner and his gravel guard along with mikes shields. both solid additions to my ride. its refreshing to find independent people making such good stuff. also a shout out to jd for being a such a terrific contributor and general inspiration.

anyway, besides racking up 6500 miles all over pa. and n.j. and n.y. this summer i had the good fortune to do 2 1/2 weeks out west with three friends. we trailered our bikes on a sprinter van and took turns driving straight through to bozeman, montana. from there it was just motorcycles and camp gear. the riding was just amazing and the versys was a blast. pavement or dirt, i couldn't have asked for more.(the only hitch was a balky radiator fan -really no big deal except climbing at high elevations. it was under warranty and replaced upon my return.)

i guess i never assembled a true ride report, but here is a link to a video collection of some of the photos from the trip.

again, thanks to everyone for contributing to this site and turning it into such a good resource. happy new year......

Your riding friend on the Moto Guzzi in the video has me thinking of the Moto Guzzi Cuota model of the late 90's...What a Beast...but handsome ...The Versys is a fun bike to have on a trip with dirt roads and thanks for sharing your great post...Cheers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moto_Guzzi_Quota-1100-ES.jpg (62.6 KB, 45 views)

2013 White 650 Versys...Purrs like a kitty cat...
2007 Yamaha WR250F...Dirt Ripper...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

i love that cuota.....never have seen one before. i will forward the photo to my guzzi riding buddy. funny story, he built a skid plate for that bike (for that trip) out of an old harley davidson sissy bar. wish i had a photo of it. just too funny. but it worked like a charm...he had a pretty vulnerable undercarriage on that rig.

miguelito, the music featured in the video is from the band "the heavy". the track is "our special place". check them out. btw- mi esposa es mexicana (mexico city & gaudalajara)....though the family have all since moved to the states. where are you living?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:59 PM

Thanks for sharing!
Nice vid.

: )

Ride em if ya got em!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmurphy1 View Post
miguelito, the music featured in the video is from the band "the heavy". the track is "our special place". check them out. btw- mi esposa es mexicana (mexico city & gaudalajara)....though the family have all since moved to the states. where are you living?
Thanks for the info mate. I will buy the song as I thought it was great. I live in San Miguel de Allende, about three hours north of Mexico City, and 4 hours east of Guadalajara. Let me know if you ever ride down this way, and I'll buy you a cerveza.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode