Helment Choices - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Helment Choices

Just picked up my 2009 versys about 10 days ago, have been riding it with a full face helment due to weather temps etc. It already had the kawasaki tall windshield, not very tall but i have no head buffeting and pretty good protection. I'm 6'0 tall does anyone ride with a 3/4 helment with the clear flip down face shields witht his set up, or would I need a tall Givi, Cal Sci, and Vstream shield?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest stick with the full-face. My niece, an OR nurse, sent me a pic a long time ago of a fellow with an open face helmet, and no chin....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 05:11 PM

Garage
I'm 6'2" i had a givi that worked well but i drilled 2 holes in it and bolted the givi and upside down stock shield together worked fantastic. Had a crash broke the windscreen and got a tall parabellum works the best for my height. Have used a modular helmet with all the shields no problems. Had an Scorpion EXO-900 but just got a Nolan N90 which i like even better.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:06 PM

I was riding with a girl that went down and hit her chin. She would have lost part of her face if she didn't have on a fullface. I'd rather be sweaty than bloody
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:18 PM

Garage
[QUOTE=ROCKER;182273]I was riding with a girl that went down and hit her chin.

Damn you should have married her!!!

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:51 PM

[quote=weljo2001;182274]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKER View Post
I was riding with a girl that went down and hit her chin.

Damn you should have married her!!!
I was hoping someone would hit that out of the park
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 06:39 AM

Best to use a full face helmet.
The chin protector is there to avoid a lot of pain.

My bro flew over the handlebars when a car turn around in front of him.
He knocked the tarmac with his chin and loss a couple of teeth.
Could have been worse.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Best to use a full face helmet.
The chin protector is there to avoid a lot of pain.

My bro flew over the handlebars when a car turn around in front of him.
He knocked the tarmac with his chin and loss a couple of teeth.
Could have been worse.
You mean it could have been a lot better with a fullface
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 04:48 PM

I'm a strong believer in full face protection and have worn Shoei helmets for a long time. Last year I used a Shoei Multitec for a 6,300 mile ride to Montana. I found the 'flip up chin bar' was quite convenient when making fast fuel stops.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 07:35 AM

Garage
"Head injuries are most common serious injury and leading cause of death in a motorcycle accident. 35% of head impacts in a motorcycle accident are to the face and chin area." - (Source: Dietmar Otte, Hannover Medical University, Dept. of Traffic Accident Research, Germany)

I'm spoiled with my Arai helmet but I find better quality FF helmets vent better and fit better too. At slow speeds in city traffic in hot weather I leave my visor up and wear sun glasses. Air flow is about the same as a 3/4 helmet.

There is also the choice of a modular helmet where the chin bar flips up. I've tried these on in the store though and they seem kind of heavy and bulky compared to my Arai. Also not many seem to pass Snell or ECE safety testing.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 09:08 AM

When it's really hot outside I use a motocross helmet (Snell rated) with the visor removed and sunglasses. The visor is actually great on an upright bike like the versys but the wind gets to be too much at higher speeds.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 01:40 PM

My first modular helmet, have high expectations on this one. Got it shipped from the UK, it's ece22-05, no DOT.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 01:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
"Head injuries are most common serious injury and leading cause of death in a motorcycle accident. 35% of head impacts in a motorcycle accident are to the face and chin area." - (Source: Dietmar Otte, Hannover Medical University, Dept. of Traffic Accident Research, Germany)

I'm spoiled with my Arai helmet but I find better quality FF helmets vent better and fit better too. At slow speeds in city traffic in hot weather I leave my visor up and wear sun glasses. Air flow is about the same as a 3/4 helmet.

There is also the choice of a modular helmet where the chin bar flips up. I've tried these on in the store though and they seem kind of heavy and bulky compared to my Arai. Also not many seem to pass Snell or ECE safety testing.

Photo's of my Nolan N90 and my girlfriend sons Arai Corsair V The Nolan is an XL and the Arai is an Medium. My Scorpion EXO-900 was bulky and heavy. But the Nolan is extremly light.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 02:36 PM

I'm 6'0" with the givi screen (on a 2010 Versys) at the lowest position. I've got a Evoline 2 modular helmet that I wear for anything longer that 30 minutes or so. For daily commuting (low traffic, surface roads) I've also got a Fulmer 9b. Both have handy flip-down sun visors.

The evoline is cool because I can ride with the chin bar up, or pop it up at long red light and such. But, it's pretty heavy and not the quietest hat around. The Fulmer is cheap, light, fits really well, and comes down low enough around my chin and cheeks to make me feel pretty secure in it. I've never had the Fulmer at highway speeds - just 30's and 40's and such.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 12:37 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
As everyone is saying, stick with a full face lid. Currently use a Bell Star, which is excellent and has great ventilation for the warmer weather. I have both been in the ER and worked there and can attest that my full face lid has saved my hide more than once. And I too have seen some patients brought into the ER without a full face helmet. Not pretty, at all...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigm View Post
Just picked up my 2009 versys about 10 days ago, have been riding it with a full face helment due to weather temps etc. It already had the kawasaki tall windshield, not very tall but i have no head buffeting and pretty good protection. I'm 6'0 tall does anyone ride with a 3/4 helment with the clear flip down face shields witht his set up, or would I need a tall Givi, Cal Sci, and Vstream shield?
I'm 6'5" and find the Givi helps some but is still too narrow to truely block all the wind. At it's highest position, I found the air flowed pretty much directly into the face shield. Lowering it all the way dropped the flow below my chin. I have since added the Robobrackets and that has helped some. No buffeting. I now wear a FF Bell helmet, but my previous lid was an AFX D37. Still no buffeting, but too noisy.

In my experience, the Givi isn't good as a touring shield that would block all/most wind. If you want to ride in one of those pockets of practically still air, you need something a bit taller & wider.

I'm thinking of getting a Cal Sci screen for the winter months to reduce the wind chill.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:35 AM

I took some pictures of the family helmets as well. They all run size small and constructed well in my opinion. The roof v8 boxer is on par with the bell star and arai rx-q. It's suprisingly light for a modular helmet compared to a shoei multitec or shark evoline or bell revolver( those are the ones I had a chance to try). It feels very similar to the arai ( theres weight to it ,but very well balanced) although the internal shape is rounder.Not much difference in shell size which also a plus for me.
Now if you want feather, marushin rs2 is reasonably priced ( sekando version on pic) . This 1 blew my mind with its weight ( little over 1000g) and they also offer transition shield like Bell helmets do.Obviously its carbon, ece22-05 only, 5 star sharp rating and again extremely light. Within the full face range only the uvex onyx carbon and a bmw carbon comes close to 1kg. I've seen the new arai carbon that goes for like 2500 euros and still " way heavier" than this one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode