Paint fix? (may have laid down my poor V) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Paint fix? (may have laid down my poor V)

Hey guys, had an incident in my driveway the other day resulting in a scratched bar end (not tremendously concerned) and, the more worrying bit, the piece down by your shift lever (crank case?) got scratched.... and i haven no idea what it's made of. it looks like metal, if it's aluminum i'm not in a huge rush to fix it but if its steel i really don't want rust on my brand new bike one year into it and i certainly don't want it to look like i did a crap paint over job...

Tried to make a pic showing where my damage is...

Has anybody had damage in the same area, what did you do to fix it?

I'll try and snap a pic of the dmg specifically on my bike later today.

Thanks ahead of time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg revised motobike!.jpg (15.4 KB, 89 views)

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 PM

Mine has been scratched for two years and still looks the same as the day it happened. But let's wait for the expert opinions.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

That's a bit of relief, i'm just worried about rust...the night it happened i pulled into my driveway (it had been raining all day) and my driveway has two little streams of water where the car drives... so i went left of that and apparently the rain had mad that about 2" of mud and the bike lost all traction and slid out... and here i thought that would never be me because i've ridden MX all my life lol ...fail

Anyways my 6th sense for knowing when i'm going down kicked in and i got my leg out from under it before it went down, no injuries to me. Bike only suffered a scratched bar end, the scratch in OP and a bent shift lever which is ridable but i'd like to try and bend it back to its former position. Come to think of it, picking the bike back up was astonishingly easy compared to my mx bike, although it was probably adrenaline kicking in... Either way the V took it like a champ, picked it up, checked for mystery liquids/ radiator damage, then she started right up.

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

That part is aluminum (aluminium for our Brits...). Mine's been scratched there since I lowsided last year.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Alright cool, the more and more i thought about it the more and more i figured steel wouldn't have made sense lol, they do alot to keep weight down on these bikes, why would they make something steel that didn't need to be (unless it were a harley)... That's a relief though, thanks guys!
I'm sure i'll take it to my buddy who has a detail shop and see what it will cost me to get it professionally fixed, and maybe get a few parts blacked out... but no rush

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:35 PM

Garage
"they do alot to keep weight down on these bikes, why would they make something steel that didn't need to be (unless it were a harley)... "

If it were a Hardly it would be cast iron!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:56 PM

Why does your title say you "may" have laid down your versys when it seems you most definitely dropped it?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Why does your title say you "may" have laid down your versys when it seems you most definitely dropped it?
It's like sleeping with a "Fat Chick" you only admit it if there's undisputable evidence.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:02 PM

Have starched the bottom cover of the V. Sprayed some heat resistant matt black spray.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Have starched the bottom cover of the V. Sprayed some heat resistant matt black spray.
Didn't know it is necessary to starch the V.

-Never mistake kindness for weakness.
-Harley Davidson rEvolution engine (V-Rod): Designed by Porsche, detuned by Harley.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks StLee, Will have to try that!

And Weljo hit the nail on the head with that metaphore

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode