Winter storage question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Winter storage question

Bike storage question. I am currently storing my Versys outdoors under a vented bike cover over the snowy winter. This is the first time I've stored a bike outside during the winter months. Has anyone done this? Is rust an issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 05:32 PM

Yes, rust will be an issue, and if you always keep the bike outside, the seat and rubber will rot. My R6 did that. I keep the Versys in my living room as I don't have a garage at my apartment. The only way to keep a bike is inside. Well, in Iowa anyway. You would probably be ok in warmer states.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:27 AM

I did for many years. You have to cover accurately the bike. Use some cellophane bags or similar to totally wrap brake disks and wheels to not allow the umidity to attak your bike. Unlink battery. Do not let breaks in the cover.
Maybe you will find a little bit of rust, but if so it will be very little. This nis the best you can do.

Nobody thinks that something is so easy like who is totally unable to do it.

Kawasaki Versys 07 Orange
Ex Aprilia Pegaso 96 Blue
Ex Suzuki DR 350 91

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:32 AM

I stored my bike like that last winter and needed to replace the chain in the spring because of severe rusting. I would brush the snow off the cover after every storm. Also the advice given by daffyduck1 is good protect your brakes and rotors. Good luck and lets hope spring gets here quickly.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:27 AM

I think i might have to replace my chain because i stored my bike outdoors for about 2 months at my beach house and the chain got pretty rusty, im going to see of some WD40 and a wirebrush might help it but im not too optimistic...

But make sure you have a good well fitting cover and like duffyduck said cover the chain and brake rotors and youll be alright.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:35 AM

Rust on a chain will be surface rust and not necessarily anything serious. But it would be a real mistake to use a wire brush on a sealed chain as you run the risk of damaging the o-rings. Clean it in the spring with wd40 or kerosene and most of that rust will rub right off. Make sure the chain is well-lubed before storage and you should be okay.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
Rust on a chain will be surface rust and not necessarily anything serious. But it would be a real mistake to use a wire brush on a sealed chain as you run the risk of damaging the o-rings. Clean it in the spring with wd40 or kerosene and most of that rust will rub right off. Make sure the chain is well-lubed before storage and you should be okay.
+1 on the wire brush. Used the teflon spray before she was put down, and use WD40 during the riding season and kerosene to clean the chain.

Also sprayed some WD in the muffler and deflated the tires 5-8 lbs. as I didn't deflate at all last winter and noticed lots of cracking in the tread this year.

New rubber went on in August and I like the Conti-motions just fine.

Moisture holds under plastic so venting is a must.

I got my first bike out of a snowbank in a farmers field. It wasn't covered
and needed very little clean-up.

When the sun comes out it dries up. Under a tarp? Not so much! It condensates. mo.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
Personally - IF I was storing like you, I would oil the chain till it's dripping, spin the rear tire to get the oil all over the chain, then leave it WET!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:17 AM

I've stored several bikes, including my V outside during our long Canadian winters without any major problems. Here is what I do:
Wash and wax the bike.
Fill fuel tank and add fuel stabilizer, then ride the bike to make sure the fuel/stabilizer mix reaches the injectors.
Once engine is warmed up, I then change oil and filter.
I block the intakes and exhaust with some small foam balls I found at the dollar store.
Remove the battery and bring it inside and charge it with a small 1-2amp charger once a month.
Lubricate the cables with WD40.
Lube the ignition, gas cap and seat locks with WD40.
Lube the chain with chain lube or WD40 to make sure that it is well bathed so it survives the winter rust free.
Depending on how cold it gets where you are, I always check to make sure my antifreeze is good to at least -29degrees C. If I'm not sure, I loosen the radiator cap and cover it with a plastic bag, that way if it does freeze it won't crack your rad.
Reduce the tire pressure and put plywood under the tires. I have stands, so the wheels are off the ground.
I cover the fork lowers with WD 40 to inhibit rust.
I bring the seat in.
I put a water proof plastic over the battery box and fuse box and tape it in place.
I then cover the bike with a good motorcycle cover and make sure it well tied in place. I then put another plastic tarp over the bike and again make sure its well tied down.
Give some consideration as to where you will store it for the winter. If possible a car port is best, but behind or beside the house, and out of the prevailing wind will help keep excess snow and ice off. Try to keep it way from large trees that might drop some branches during a winter storm.
In the spring she'll be ready to go, and in good shape.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 AM

Just to add a couple of things to moflow's list. If you have track stands its a good idea to get the wheels (tires) off the ground. At least dont leave it on dirt if you do not have stands. Before i had a garage and stored outside I would spray the entire lower portion of the bike with WD-40 and then wash it off in the spring.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 03:12 PM

Move to Charleston and forget about 'winter storage'.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode