Super Tenere! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Super Tenere!

Well....not so super. My local Dealer just got one in, and had it equipped with the factory luggage and the engine guards. WANTS me to do a demo ride as soon as weather permits and I will probably do so.
Initial thoughts are this....bigger, wider, heavier. I like the shaft drive. Time will tell if it has the infamous rear end twist torque from the shaft. Fired it up {in the showroom!}, and it sounds like....well....a bigger Versys. I went in to see it with enthusiasm with the possibility of IT being my next ride.
Don't get me wrong, I like it, but NO WAY can I justify that price tag... and I don't care what it feels like on the road. It was nearly 17K out-the-door. You could buy a brand new Versys and put on every conceivable mod there is and still be thousands cheaper. Let's see... trade value on my '08....4-5K.....12K and my bike? Sorry Yamaha, it's not even close. The Versys has to be THE bargain "ADV" bike to be had. Shoot I could KEEP my bike....buy another Versys, equip the hell out of it...and still not be anywhere near 12K!!!!...am I missing something?!?!?!?!?

2011 ZSX 1000
Red / ebony
Bag Connection AERO saddlebags
Garmin Nuvi 550 rammed
Kuso heated grips
ZG touring windscreen / CalSci Tall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 08:07 AM

Had one out in 2010 when they were released here. Having owned the original Super Tenere,
I was keen to try out a more modern version. I was also riding a 12GS at the time and I also wanted to see how it compared against the benchmark bike.

Well, It's a nice enough bike, but just not the step forward I was hoping for. OK, you know it'll be reliable, more reliable than the GS is (which has disappointed many with well documented tales of woe). But it just didn't have any wow factor and actually felt quite 'flat' (although it was actually deceptive on the speed front). The shaft really is brilliant and didn't clonk like the shaft on my GS. You wouldn't honestly know there was one fitted. Handles well, good brakes, hides its weight well, there's nothing wrong with it (well except maybe the seat which gave me numb bum about 50 miles into the ride), but I know I couldn't justify the premium Yamaha seem to ask for all their bikes these days.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 09:29 AM

This is a 'chalk and cheese' comparison. It's not much different than comparing the BMW 1200GS with a Versys. The Versys is a great value for the money bike...but it certainly isn't in the same league with the big ADV touring motorcycles.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 09:41 AM

I ride them both and as much as I love my Versys; it is not in the same league with the Tenere. I have not asked anything of the Tenere that it will not readily do. Spkldoe will not even consider mounting up on the Versys, but loves to ride the Tenere.

As always, it all comes down to intended use.

$17K??? Your dealer is dreaming.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 10:27 AM

Nice pic of the Tenere' Davy. That Rally style still looks fresh. I had the first gen TDM.

We just got two years of that bike over here, '92-'93. It was a slow seller; too expensive and (for the time) strange looking. Like the Versys, not really an "Adventure Bike", but it looked like it could be and a lot of owners went ahead and had some adventures on them. I know I did!

The Versys slots in as a great replacement for me; smaller, lighter, better range, and just about as quick in normal riding. What it gives up in outright Stomp, it gets back in agility. All the other stuff is about a push. And I still take it anywhere my friends take their GS's.

Maybe some folks dream of a successor bike that is bigger, heavier, more complicated, and much, much more expensive. Put down your deposit on a Super-Ten today, and you could have it by summer!
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post

Nice pic of the Tenere' Davy. That Rally style still looks fresh. I had the first gen TDM.

Me too !! The TDM was essentially way ahead of its time back in '91. I actually liken the Versys more to the TDM ethos than to the Adventure segment of the market.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
This is a 'chalk and cheese' comparison. It's not much different than comparing the BMW 1200GS with a Versys. The Versys is a great value for the money bike...but it certainly isn't in the same league with the big ADV touring motorcycles.
Why can't there be a comparison between the two? It is after all, Yamahas rendition to the ADV segment. Suzuki chose to build the 650 and 1000 {now gone} V-Strom series. I've seen a ton of comparos between those, and the V. As far as being in the same "league", I ask why not? They are both of Japanese origin, split hairs when it comes to build quality, lets see....same basic design, inverted forks, twin cylnders, FI, uni-shock rear suspension, seat design, fairing, tank .....and well...it's that "Honda / Yamaha / Suzuki / Kawasaki" thing again {and I have owned ALL of them}. I really feel the Tenere design had a lot of of our "V" blueprints on the same table! I don't believe there is anyone out there that will say a Yamaha is built better than a Kawasaki. What I was was trying to point out was that price justification is NOT there. At least when you drop that kind of coin on a EURO bike...you're getting a EURO bike. If the Tenere was closer to 13K fully panniered out, it would definitely make a difference, enough to warrant consideration. Now, as it sits, it is too close to a Beemer, Ducati, or KTM, to not go that direction......Would you pay $20.00 for a Big Mac when you can get a Red Robin gourmet burger for the same price?

2011 ZSX 1000
Red / ebony
Garmin Nuvi 550 rammed
Kuso heated grips

Last edited by redline; 12-24-2011 at 03:38 PM.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
At least when you drop that kind of coin on a EURO bike...you're getting a EURO bike. If the Tenere was closer to 13K fully panniered out, it would definitely make a difference, enough to warrant consideration. Now, as it sits, it is too close to a Beemer, Ducati, or KTM, to not go that direction......Would you pay $20.00 for a Big Mac when you can get a Red Robin gourmet burger for the same price?
I think I'm generally out of step with today's manly man motorcycle buyer of today. I can't get excited about the big, expensive adventure tourers. They seem designed to make a statement more than anything else. If I'm traveling in the Third World, I don't think I want to be on a motorcycle that costs a multiple of the local annual income and that nobody within hundreds of miles can fix, me included. Last time I traveled in the Third World, I was on a motorcycle I paid $2,000 for. Worst case scenario, I could have left it smoldering by the side of the road and bought a bus ticket for the border. I'd be reluctant to do that with my $17k Super Tenere or $21k BMW.

And as the owner of two European bikes, I wouldn't pay an additional 10 cents for a bike based on it being built in Europe. If it moves me, works for me, and the price is right, I don't care where it's built.

Just me.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Why can't there be a comparison between the two? It is after all, Yamahas rendition to the ADV segment. Suzuki chose to build the 650 and 1000 {now gone} V-Strom series. I've seen a ton of comparos between those, and the V. As far as being in the same "league", I ask why not? They are both of Japanese origin, split hairs when it comes to build quality, lets see....same basic design, inverted forks, twin cylnders, FI, uni-shock rear suspension, seat design, fairing, tank .....and well...it's that "Honda / Yamaha / Suzuki / Kawasaki" thing again {and I have owned ALL of them}. I really feel the Tenere design had a lot of of our "V" blueprints on the same table! I don't believe there is anyone out there that will say a Yamaha is built better than a Kawasaki. What I was was trying to point out was that price justification is NOT there. At least when you drop that kind of coin on a EURO bike...you're getting a EURO bike. If the Tenere was closer to 13K fully panniered out, it would definitely make a difference, enough to warrant consideration. Now, as it sits, it is too close to a Beemer, Ducati, or KTM, to not go that direction......Would you pay $20.00 for a Big Mac when you can get a Red Robin gourmet burger for the same price?
Not to pick a fight...but if I follow your logic...I'd probably end up comparing the Versys to the Ducati Multistrada...and giving preference to the Versys because it is less expensive...which I wouldn't do.

I might also be the only person 'out there' who thinks Yamaha has better build quality than Kawasaki.

BTW, Kelly trade-in value for a '08 Versys in good condition is $2,810.

2009 GREEN Versys

Last edited by CharlestonADV; 12-24-2011 at 04:41 PM.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Not to pick a fight...but if I follow your logic...I'd probably end up comparing the Versys to the Ducati Multistrada...and giving preference to the Versys because it is less expensive...which I wouldn't do.

I might also be the only person 'out there' who thinks Yamaha has better build quality than Kawasaki.

BTW, Kelly trade-in value for a '08 Versys in good condition is $2,810.
No, I'm not comparing a V to a Multi-strada at all, just the V to the Tenere. That's my point...the Multi is priced not too far away from the Tenere, which TO ME is an apples to oranges comparo. I just feel the Tenere is WAY overpriced for what it is, and should be in the same "league" as the "big 4". It wasn't too long ago when a V-Strom 1000 could be had for 10K.

2011 ZSX 1000
Red / ebony
Garmin Nuvi 550 rammed
Kuso heated grips
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I just feel the Tenere is WAY overpriced for what it is
By way of comparison...it could be said that the Kawasaki Concours 14 is overpriced. Afterall, it took a huge price increase over its predesessor. A lot of very well informed people, however, say the new Concours is a great motorcycle and fairly priced.

Obviously, there are a great number of choices when considering a motorcycle purchase. Apparentlhy, the Yamaha Super Tenere isn't one that meets your requirements.

2009 GREEN Versys

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 09:33 AM

17 K is high, there are two in my area and the dealers are asking 12 and 13K respectively. That price will come down if they sit. I’ve already probed for a price below 12K (without bags) and it looked like that would be doable. Yes the Tenere is not even close to the Versys nor is it intended to be. Its target is the BMW 1200 GS. The Tenere is the bike too pick if you’re looking at 500 plus miles days hauling tons of gear. It will pack on the miles also without needing an engine rebuild more so them a little 650 twin. They are not in the same class is all I’m saying. What the Tenere does in the big shaft-drive class and does really well is kick the BMW 1200 GS in the pants on price point and options. It comes standard with things like ABS, etc. Those things and more are all add on's to the BMW. That class ADV bike is intended for mega-miles with the ability to handle off road duties. As they say, “it is what it is” and if you’re in the market for a Mega- ADV bike I think it’s a pretty good deal plus it’s a water-cooled Yamaha. BMW may have a water-cooled edition out next year then again maybe not. Before you BMW boys start defending your beloved GS I’m not saying the BMW is in anyway less of a bike. It’s proven itself over the years as the mega ADV bike that all others are compared too. All I’m saying is that the Tenere is a really good value for the money and your getting cheaper as far as add on's go.

Last edited by douglasgraham; 12-25-2011 at 09:56 AM.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Ok guys, I give. I will give it a second "look" in a different light. I would agree that I would rather have IT than a Gs though........

2011 ZSX 1000
Red / ebony
Garmin Nuvi 550 rammed
Kuso heated grips
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Ok guys, I give. I will give it a second "look" in a different light. I would agree that I would rather have IT than a Gs though........
+1...Same here.

2009 GREEN Versys

post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
If I'm traveling in the Third World, I don't think I want to be on a motorcycle that costs a multiple of the local annual income and that nobody within hundreds of miles can fix, me included. Last time I traveled in the Third World, I was on a motorcycle I paid $2,000 for.
i'm with you, mate! but really, few of these beasts travel the 3rd world. but alas, like the beastmasters, i'm not going anywhere exotic for a while.

my old Transalp:

the old horse set me back a paltry $1850. i wish that Yamaha USA would import the Tenere 660. that looks like a fine traveler to me. maybe i'll be able to get one by the time i loose the shackles.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 05:29 PM

MCN, Rider and Cycle World have all 3 weighed in on the Super Tenere recently. Comparing it to a GS, GSA and GS/KTM 990 respectively. All seemed to think the S10 held its own quite well and all made mention of it being the best value (bang for buck) among the lot for mixed adventure touring. YMMV.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spklbuk View Post
MCN, Rider and Cycle World have all 3 weighed in on the Super Tenere recently. Comparing it to a GS, GSA and GS/KTM 990 respectively. All seemed to think the S10 held its own quite well and all made mention of it being the best value (bang for buck) among the lot for mixed adventure touring. YMMV.
The Cycle World reviewers also rated the Super Tenere as a more capable off road bike than the BMW GS...in spite of its higher weight.

2009 GREEN Versys

post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
The Cycle World reviewers also rated the Super Tenere as a more capable off road bike than the BMW GS...in spite of its higher weight.
Just sitting on the bike it feels lighter then most big bikes Ive sat on. The weight is low and it has a nice long wheel base.
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I have seen that before in different reviews: Super Tenere slightly better off road than GS, GS slightly better on road than Super Tenere. Both very good bikes.
I would have the Super Tenere.

The Super Tenere carries its weight much lower, so it feels much lighter to many people than the GS which actually has less mass but a higher COG.
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
it has a nice long wheel base.
Switching back and forth between the Versys and the S10 requires a period of adjustment everytime. Either feels foreign when adapted to the feel of the other...especially when braking.

Montani Semper Liberi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode