Wreaked Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to versysred Send a message via Yahoo to versysred
Wreaked Versys

Well yesterday I decided to take my bike to work. The weather was going to be around 65 by the afternoon. So on the way back home in the afternoon, I turned onto my main road to get to my house. Not more than 12 minutes from my house.

Two cars in front of me already had brake lights on and it was a passing stripe. So I went around and saw a clear shot so I accelerated to 60 miles an hour. As I reached that the first car put a left hand turn signal on and turned left. It was to late for me to stop. SO I locked the brakes and the bike went sideways hitting the car. I went flying over the cars hood and landed 12ft away in soft grass. The bikes entire front aluminum wheel shattered Front shield shattered side bags went other places the back metal platform for a rear bag was scrap.

And there I lay on my back kicking myself for A passing the cars and B having a feeling that something bad was going to happen.

My knee was swollen and my ankle hurt, left back just got some rash but nothing bad.

I was wearing a backpack with a book and my laptop. Which amazingly after getting a dent in the lid and a scar from the metal ring from the binder still works just fine.

My dignity has been hurt but I am alive thank god. Just wanted to let you all know what was going on. This morning I actually feel better enen though i am only taking Advil.

Bike was a 2009 Kawasaki versys and was a great bike. It will be missed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Sorta know how you feel except you were moving a bit faster than me. Not a good feeling when you see that car start to turn and theres not much you can do. Like many folks here told me. The bike can be replaced so take care and a speedy recovery.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Ya my next bike is going to have ABS, i knew I had to pulse the brakes but just did not have time to register it and use it, so they locked up.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 07:37 PM

So glad you are OK. Lesson learned. You should have listened to your gut and as you said you are quite aware of it.

Heal well. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a Merry Christmas! You have much to be thankful for this season!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Glad you can tell the tale. Heal well.

Montani Semper Liberi
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Sorry to hear about your bike but main thing is you are ok.

ABS are great, my ninja 1000 has real good abs but i get in trouble when i ride my 08 versys as i did a slight lock up on v last night on way home from work as was going a bit hot into a hairpin turn as i was riding it like the ninja.

Merry Christmas and it will be christmas in 10hrs here and i have to work tonight, barhumbug.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Rik

tough duty....but the bike can be replaced...thankfully you made it through in good shape!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:21 PM
MTS

That is a bummer, but so glad you are ok. Hope you heal up quickly!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 PM

Garage
Now you have an excuse to get a Versys 1000 - it comes with ABS

Glad you are OK

Merry Xmas to all

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 10:14 PM

Damn, that sounds like a nasty crash! Glad you are "reasonably well" because it certainly could have been a lot worse!

Not to get sidetracked; as to the value of landing in/on grass during a big crash, google/youtube search "Chad Reed Millville Crash." That IMO is a "death crash" if he doesn't land on a downslope covered in in deep (foot tall) grass....
You are one luc....errrr fortunate individual.

I digress....IMO a riding philosophy of, "if they CAN turn left in front of you, they WILL turn left in front of you," will serve you better than ABS brakes in the long run. That "stance" works well for us whether we are passing or they are coming at us.

Enjoy the holiday, hope you let someone (or a bunch of someones) know that you love them.

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.

Last edited by RockyMoto; 12-23-2011 at 10:18 PM.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 11:12 PM

As everyone else said glad you survived, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 06:46 AM

Speedy recovery to you. And probably a 2012 versys in the pipeline?

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
Speedy recovery to you. And probably a 2012 versys in the pipeline?
LOL maybe but I want to take it easy for a while. I will look into new bikes at this years bike show in washington DC, we go every year. So new helmet Shoei RF1100 or a Areil and a new or use bike.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 10:55 AM

Hope you recover quickly.

Also hope that other members of the forum learn from your misfortune.

Perhaps the following points are relevant to this situation. They received considerable emphasis in a rider safety course I attended:

- The chances for an accident increase as soon as you enter an opposing traffic lane.
- Passing multiple vechiles increases the probability of an accident.
- Don't pass vehicles that have their brake lights on. They probably see something that you don't..
- Keep in mind that another vehicle in front of you might also attempt a passing maneuver.
- Don't fail to notice that your clear path for passing also provides the opportunity for a vehicle to pull out from a side street/road directly into your path...after all you are in his/her traffic lane.

2009 GREEN Versys
2006 Yellow Pearl H-D VRSCR Street Rod
2010 Scarlet Red H-D FXDF Fat Bob

Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Wow! I'm glad you weren't hurt any more than you were. Sucks about the bike. And your dignity. The driver of the car ok?? I bet that person crapped himself! As far as having that 'something bad is going to happen' feeling, I've had that feeling too. I'm getting better about trusting it. I've gone as far as turning around & going back home because of bad feelings.

Take you time, heal good!! And Merry Christmas!!!

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Wow! I'm glad you weren't hurt any more than you were. Sucks about the bike. And your dignity. The driver of the car ok?? I bet that person crapped himself! As far as having that 'something bad is going to happen' feeling, I've had that feeling too. I'm getting better about trusting it. I've gone as far as turning around & going back home because of bad feelings.

Take you time, heal good!! And Merry Christmas!!!
Thanks man, ya she was scared out of her mind but I have to thank her. 4 seconds after I hit the ground she was right by my side seeing if I was ok.

I have to get better many more car audio systems to do
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 03:57 PM

WOW! Glad you are ok. Things could have been much worse. I KNOW what you mean by your gut....I had the same feeling at a boat race in Bar Harbor Maine...I must have said "I shouldn't be here" at least 6 times, questioned the wave height, but nonetheless raced anyway. Green flag drops, pedal down, 0-85 quickly, then stuffed a wave. Broke my Allison into about 500 mighty small pieces. Bruised ego, and came home with my motor bolted to the trailer bunks. Lesson learned...LISTEN TO YOUR INSTINCTS!!! Speedy recovery and heal well.

2011 ZSX 1000
Red / ebony
Bag Connection AERO saddlebags
Garmin Nuvi 550 rammed
Kuso heated grips
ZG touring windscreen / CalSci Tall
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 07:44 PM

Wreaked Versys

Geez! I hope you have a good and speedy recovery.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 08:32 PM

Glad you are OK - scary situation! Ice the swollen tissue as much as you can stand the next couple of days. Aleve works good too.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 09:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
Glad you lived to tell the tale. Scary ****, that, flying through the air. I hope I never have that happen to me, speedy recovery and all the best in finding a new bike!

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode