Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Dude! Why do Cages Constantly Try to Kill Us?!?

3K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  Bluegenes 
#1 ·
OK,

I have to vent because I (once again) almost became road kill not once, but twice in the space of 10 seconds today due to inattentive cages.

So I'm driving on Loop 410 in San Antonio (a highway notorious for idiot cagers) doing some errands today. I'm in the center of three lanes, minding my business and keeping up with traffic. I see a pickup about two car lengths ahead in the passing lane to my left, and another pickup is bearing down on that same pickup moving at about 90 mph (that I can estimate). The pickup gets right next to me, and then drops back a bit and makes like it's going to pass me from behind. It then accelerates back up next to me, and then proceeds to merge right into me. The idiot driver managed to look in my direction to see me looking right at him, and then goes back in his lane. While this is going on, the truck that was ahead of me earlier decides to get into my lane as well, merging in front of me and almost causing me to run into him. I do a quick lane change (thankfully no one was to my right), and I accelerate as fast as I can to get away from that group of cages.

So, my lesson learned was that having a lime green bike with a rider wearing a neon green full-face helmet is still not enough to be seen. I almost wish I had some ball bearings to flick over my shoulder when this happened...to dangerous, though (and I might get shot...I am in Texas).

I also don't have one of those loud horns installed....my next farkle. Are those hard to install?

See less See more
#2 ·
Definitely get the horn! But don't count on it. I had a crazy bitch with Harley stickers on her back window come over on me despite my loud ass horn blaring!

#3 ·
I suspect it's not the color of your bike or the visibility of your gear; I suspect it's simply that neither of the drivers give a sh*t.

I'm a resident of S.A. too and decided some time ago to avoid Loop 410, and Loop 1604 as well for that matter, because it appears that way too many drivers are either terrible, or on the phone or, worst of all, both. :eek:

We Texans seem to believe that driving is a God-given right - an entitlement - and damn anyone who tries to interfere with us, especially if we're driving a GOAT (grossly oversized American truck).

Luckly you managed to avoid both irresponsible idiots and weren't injured. Continued good luck. :thumb:

#5 ·
besides the loud horn, another add-on would be some bright daylight driving lights. It confuses the drivers thinking, "what the ..... is that?" when they see u in their mirrors. If they see a single headlamp, "ah a motorcycle and I'm gonna give him a hard time". But when he sees multiple bright lights, it has a tendency for them not to stray in your path as they are figuring out what is that!

Something about extra bright lights I learned to use when I had them in my ex-car. Vehicles just don't drop into your lane that frequently when my spot light is on, whether they are coming out of a junction or switching lanes. it sort of confuses them on the distance of the on-coming car (my car). Your vehicle does look more aggressive with more lights.

#6 ·
Great idea 2damax. I am planning on some upgrades in that direction before I hit the road again in spring.

Glad you're ok, trashysquid. Nothing like that sick feeling in your stomach when you almost die..lol

#10 ·
Distracsted, incompetent, and impaired drivers have always been a hinderance to motorcycle safety. The fact that more and more drivers are talking and texting on their cell phone have made this situation dramatically worse. The potential for an accident is extremely high.

Given the current problems with the 'cagers'...why in the hell do some riders further increase their potential for an accident with distractions such as blue tooth devices and helmet cameras?

#11 · (Edited)
Its the old saying ride like your invisible...when on multi lane roads I make it a point to be well out of cages blind spot. Most cagers don't look carefully when they change lanes and bikes are easy to miss...put some loud pipes on it...:rolleyes:

#12 ·
We all like to refer to cagers as another life form but I think most bikers are also cagers some time. I know I cage alot more than I ride my motorcycles.

And it is true for me sometimes; I just don't see motorcycles as easily as other cages on the road..they are much smaller and seem to come up on you quicker. The most dangerous situation for me is more than one bike arranged in a staggered formation passing me. Once the first one goes buy you may not notice the others following. I almost changed lanes into a group like that a couple of years ago.

When I ride my bikes now I assume that I am invisible to cagers plus I try to keep out of dangerous lane positions.

Just my $.02

Brian

#15 · (Edited)
To assume people are anything but a 'pile-O-sh*t' in this country is akin to signing your own death warrant.
TRUST NO ONE !!!
It's the best place to start and you'll live longer too.

#16 ·
Strictly speaking, I don't think cage drivers are "trying to kill us" but I do think their actions can impact us if they don't know we are there.

Be conspicuous in where you position yourself on the road, with bright riding apparel, and with extra lighting.

Ride defensively. Assume that other motorists do not see you; they may not.

Don't view operating on public roads as a competition with other motorists, even if other motorists do.

#17 ·
I watched some of Brain Games on the Discovery channel last Saturday. Neat show. Anyway, narrator said car drivers don't see motorcycles because they are looking for cars. A couple weeks ago, I had a car pull out at me. I looked over my left shoulder and here he comes out of a school parking lot. We were all stopped at a traffic light 100 yards from the school an I heard a "sir!, sir!" When I turned, the driver was standing next to me apologizing and claiming he "didn't even see" me. I have an '08, nice and red. I thought the apology was very nice but .............. we need to do all we can to make ourselves seen.

#18 ·
I learned this tip from my motorcycle safety foundation class instructor - When you are on a multi-lane interstate highway, always ride in the lane that has an "excape route". That means - which ever lane that has a rideable shoulder, that is the one to be riding in. That way, when a cage barges into the space that you are riding in, you at least have a chance of escaping onto the left or right road shoulder if the cage does not see you and "correct" in time. Check it out - it is in the MSF Course material.

It works, I have used this tip several times over the years, but most often I use it for peace of mind, knowing that I have an "out" if I need it. The middle lane is a bad place to be because it eliminates your options in an emergency.

#24 ·
My advanced rider course instructor mentioned this as well, but since I'm on the slab a lot, I've found that here in town it's safer to be in the middle lane because of frequent on-ramp intervals and cages driving less (sometimes much less) than the speed limit, hitting the breaks and yielding to that oncoming traffic...both unsafe situations. I don't like being in the center lane either, it's just the lesser evil, I guess. Just trying to keep my head on a swivel...

#23 ·
Glad you are ok. I had two close ones in the past week but ride expecting it so no biggie....either roll on or off the throttle and swerve as needed. I did however beg off going to my GF's tonight due to the terrible combination of big city rush hour traffic in the dark, while it's raining and people are especially distracted while out looking for that perfect gift. I generally have no prob but as riders we start out with the odds already stacked against us and so many cagers have so much 'spirit' right now!

#26 ·
I hear you Kenr! Having lived most of my life in NY, I was shocked to learn that people in this state will often drive below the speed limit (even in the left lane of interstate hwys). Oh well.....I shouldn't expect to much from a state where it's illegal to pump your own gas, I guess.

But on the plus side, there are many bicycles in these parts. As such, I've found that Oregon drivers are "naturally" much better about looking out for things on two wheels. I have been treated as if I'm invisible here by cagers, but nothing close to the level as I experienced in NY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.