Wellnuts - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Wellnuts

I can't seem to get the wellnuts and rivets out of the holes so I can adjust my windshield, anyone know of an easy way on a 11 Versys. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 PM

On my 2010 V, I removed the windshield, then put a few drops of WD-40 around the well-nuts. They then came out easily.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 PM

I ended up just adding wellnuts to the extra holes, now there's no need to move them to adjust the screen.

CJ

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 11:09 PM

Take the windscreen off, and put the screw just a little ways back into the well nut. Pull out on the well nut as you push a little bit on the screw. This stretches it out and makes it easier to remove.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 11:14 PM

Garage
I just pulled mine out with my fingers. The 'rivet' is removed with a tiny common blade screwdriver. pop the center loose the rest comes out.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 03:21 AM

I had to use a needle nose plier to pull the front ones out. The rear ones are easy, did them with fingers. Use WD40 to make it easier.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
I ended up just adding wellnuts to the extra holes, now there's no need to move them to adjust the screen.

CJ
Me too. You can buy a pack of 8 on eBay for next to nothing. I think the shipping was more than the parts!

2011 Versys
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
... You can buy a pack of 8 on eBay for next to nothing. I think the shipping was more than the parts!
Now you tell me!?!

I bought 4 from the dealer just to have them for spares... I almost puked when I went to pick them up... They were $6.00 EACH!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the help, still trying and I can't even get the 2 plastic rivets out. I spent 31 years putting Fords together so it's not like I don't know how these fastners work, I'll keep trying till something gives.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:45 AM

For the plastic rivets, u have to pull the sub-part somewhere half way out, and not all the way. Once u reach that magic distance, it comes out easy. Once u remove it, you'll understand why it worked that way. Took me 1/2 hour to figure this one out.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
Take the windscreen off, and put the screw just a little ways back into the well nut. Pull out on the well nut as you push a little bit on the screw. This stretches it out and makes it easier to remove.
This technique really makes sense. I'll give it a try.

CJ
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Can't you guys leave wellnuts alone? (someone had to make the dorky joke!).

CJ
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Can't you guys leave wellnuts alone? ...
It took me 2 reads before I got it

BTW, get a longer screw to use for the extraction (so you can put plenty of threads into the wellnut and still not have to grip it with your fingernails) and `work’ it out by rotating it in a circular motion as you gently pull back. If it’s stubborn, a little soapy water works well and won’t attack the rubber or plastics (as some petroleum based lubes might).

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:11 AM
MTS

I totally agree Hardware don't use wd-40 ever on anything. Little soapy water much better and or stretch method. Plastic rivets center first use pocket screw driver go slow.

Can't you leave wellnuts alone? Priceless!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 11:49 AM

Anyone know wellnut depth, ie 14mm, 16mm? Bolt size is M5, diameter is 9mm. Seems like lots on the internet, fairly inexpensive, but need to know depth as that varies.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:58 AM

I know on my ninja 250 over time the well nuts would dry rot and tear when you took a bolt out. I just ordered a box on ebay for next to nothing as was said here, and replaced them every couple times I removed a body panel or the windshield. (I'm a tinkerer so this was fairly often.)

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 03:15 PM

I ended up pushing the wellnuts all the way through, from the outside, and letting them fall to the ground. (This may be how they got their name..., as in "Well, nuts! Where did they go?")
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Anyone know wellnut depth, ie 14mm, 16mm? Bolt size is M5, diameter is 9mm. Seems like lots on the internet, fairly inexpensive, but need to know depth as that varies.
Measured like a bolt (i.e. not counting the `head') they measure 9.5 mm x 13 mm

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
It took me 2 reads before I got it
Thank you, sir, for acknowledging my attempt at humor!

CJ
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:11 PM

Thank GOD for this forum and its members!

I am chasing the front fairing buzz on my 2010 and have had the whole front end apart. I did the "mode & reset" straw mod and also noticed that the whole cluster was loose. the 3 big screws that hold the instrument panel were not compressing the rubber grommets so I added a nylon washer under each to lengthen the grip and squeeze the instrument panel against the rubber mounts.

So far that is not the cause of the buzz. I actually found 2 places on my test ride that are really not where I thought the buzzing was coming from. One, was the front master cylinder.. When I grabbed the entire master cylinder and put a twisting load on it, the buzzing stopped. I tightened the two screws on the cap and buzz from there is gone.

Second, the hand guards I installed over the winter was the main culprit. I had them off while troubleshooting to eliminate the buzzing. Reinstalled them and the left one is buzzing like crazy at 4000RPM. Will be cutting some foam or gasket material to hopefully fix it.

Now for the thanks. The F*&#%^G well nuts. I managed to get all 6 out to remove the front fairings but was getting nowhere putting them back. (about 30 minutes and not even one).

The soapy water recommended on this thread had be done in minutes when I would have spent hours pushing, twisting and cussing!

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode