Close encounter with the CHP - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Close encounter with the CHP

I was going to Fry's electronics riding on business 80 east yesterday ( this is in sacramento,ca )and I was in the middle lane on the L side of the lane. In the fast lane was a ford p/u and ther was no one else around for at least 500 feet around us. It was a little after 9 in the morning and I looked in my left mirror just caught a glimpse of a CHP motorcycle as he guns it and decides to lane split between me and the truck. No lights or sirens on at all. I felt his bike Graze my elbow that is how close he got. He just kept on speeding down the freeway like it was a normal thing to do. I just held my speed and course and made it thru the incident more pissed then scared.

So I made a phone call and they said they will look into it and get back to me. It's nice to know the CHP sets a fine example for other motorcycle riders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 04:39 AM

Damn those CHiPs dudes... Was it Ponch?

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 04:49 AM

If it was a Harley, you must've been going very slowly.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 04:51 AM

What model do they use these days? Is it still a Kawasaki? Do Harleys even pass Cali smog and noise laws?

Last edited by invader; 12-04-2011 at 04:55 AM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 08:20 AM

Laws are for the cops to enforce , not to follow. Typical union gov't employee. If he hit you one of his buddies would have given you a ticket and not treated you like the customer you are. I smell bacon!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 09:36 AM

I 2 live in the 916
A similar event happened to me although not as close.
W.T.F.
What can you say? They can always excuse themselves.

CHP uses BMW
The city and county still have and use some H.D.'s

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 12-04-2011 at 09:40 AM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 10:01 AM

Late for the meeting at Dunkin Donuts; don'cha know!!!!!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 10:25 AM

One idiot does not a bad agency make. As a Cali guy, I'm usually pretty happy the CHP is out there looking for DUIs and bad drivers. Hope they straighten this one guy out.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Damn those CHiPs dudes... Was it Ponch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQBTixd9R4U
Shucks, you beat me to it Invader..! I remember it well - Jon and Ponch, wasn't it? They were filmed on their 'bikes' on trailers a lot of the time. Ahh, the good ole days....
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
What model do they use these days? Is it still a Kawasaki? Do Harleys even pass Cali smog and noise laws?
They use BMW's--at least the ones I have seen lately. The 1200cc touring ones...I can't remember the specific model....KRT 1200??? something like that....They look a lot like the "civilian" editions other than being black and white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbark View Post
I was going to Fry's electronics riding on business 80 east yesterday ( this is in sacramento,ca )and I was in the middle lane on the L side of the lane. In the fast lane was a ford p/u and ther was no one else around for at least 500 feet around us. It was a little after 9 in the morning and I looked in my left mirror just caught a glimpse of a CHP motorcycle as he guns it and decides to lane split between me and the truck. No lights or sirens on at all. I felt his bike Graze my elbow that is how close he got. He just kept on speeding down the freeway like it was a normal thing to do. I just held my speed and course and made it thru the incident more pissed then scared.

So I made a phone call and they said they will look into it and get back to me. It's nice to know the CHP sets a fine example for other motorcycle riders.
I had a similar experience about a week ago....
I was splitting lanes in thick stop and go traffic on the 215/91 near Riverside (Ca.) during rush-hour. If you know that area, it's a pretty tricky area to be splitting--tight lanes, some curves, lots of on/off ramps, plenty of grumpy cage commuters, etc.... Well, as I am making my way along at what I deemed a safe pace, with my full concentration on what what happening in front of me, I hear a "beep, beep." I check my mirrors and see another bike behind me. As soon as an opening in traffic came up, I pulled over to let them by. Sure enough it was a "CHiPper," and he sped by me. Now, I have lived in California my whole life and have been splitting lanes since I was a teenager, so I have a pretty good idea of what a safe pace is. This guy was NOT going at a safe pace! He was just blasting by cars assuming they were going to stay put (I, on the other hand, assume they are trying to kill me....). This didn't appear to be an emergency situation either--no lights, sirens, etc. I usually like to follow CHP motor officers (or any other rider for that matter--it's better to not be the first bike through IMO) in this situation, but this guy just walked away from me--he seemed to be riding with a sense of invincibility. I was just not willing to take the chances he was taking to keep up. I have had similar experiences with "youngins" on sportbikes--If I don't see them coming, they usually come up on you and then bounce their bikes off the rev-limiter putting their Yoshi's on full song to let you know they are there before speeding by recklessly. But never a CHP officer on a huge "Beem."

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedseven50 View Post
Shucks, you beat me to it Invader..! I remember it well - Jon and Ponch, wasn't it? They were filmed on their 'bikes' on trailers a lot of the time. Ahh, the good ole days....
Seems I remember the time that they actually let them ride in an alley for a shot, and one of them (Ponch?) got "tangled up in the throttle" and went down, taking the others out too.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

I know one cop does not represent the force, but every village has an idiot. It was a BMW he was riding. And I have seen some local area motorcycle cops onKawaski's Concours 14 ABS Police bikes.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:05 PM

I can't believe lane splitting is allowed anywhere. I think if this was allowed in Illinois there would be a lot more accidents and fatalities. A full lane is sometimes not enough with the "drivers" we have in this pathetic state. Gotta go, I need a doughnut! No tickets in 9 years for me btw, I ride very legal. I know too many cops personally and they love to brag about all the illegal and dangerous things they get away with.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
I can't believe lane splitting is allowed anywhere. I think if this was allowed in Illinois there would be a lot more accidents and fatalities. A full lane is sometimes not enough with the "drivers" we have in this pathetic state. Gotta go, I need a doughnut! No tickets in 9 years for me btw, I ride very legal. I know too many cops personally and they love to brag about all the illegal and dangerous things they get away with.
Crazy Chips!

Is lane splitting legal? I don't remember that on our test out here? When splitting a lane always remember to??? Ha! Ha! No traffic to split out here anyway! Just wondering?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Crazy Chips!

Is lane splitting legal? I don't remember that on our test out here? When splitting a lane always remember to??? Ha! Ha! No traffic to split out here anyway! Just wondering?
It not legal in California but its also not illegal and there is no law specifically addressing it either just an exercpt in the Vehicle code laws that say it must be done in a safe and prudent manner. Most states in the U.S. have laws specifically making it illegal. While in most other countRys it is perfectly legal
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:13 PM

Garage
I think lane splitting is an accident waiting to happen. Then again I don't live in California or an area that has that kind of traffic.

Lane splitting is highly illegal here. It's, I think, a $450/5 demerit point ticket.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-05-2011 at 12:16 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 07:14 PM

That CHPs segment was great. Funny to look at now, but when I was a kid I'd make sure all my homework and chores were done so I could watch shows like that, Starsky & Hutch and the Rockford Files. With the success of Fast and Furious you would think that TV would go back to the cop chase shows and ease up on all the CSI crap.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I think lane splitting is an accident waiting to happen.
I actually feel safer when I am carefully splitting lanes than I do stuck with cars directly in front and in back of me in stop-and-go traffic. I am not trying to convince you it is, just saying that is how I feel.
Now blasting through at, say, 20, 25, 30 mph faster than traffic is going (like the CHP officer in my earlier post was doing) is a whole different story....

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 10:03 PM

Kinda hard to watch but lane splitting rocks!

http://youtu.be/r6IwLOOo8PE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode