Group buy for a paddock stand - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Group buy for a paddock stand

I had a thing with this but the price is very, very high.

I'm talking about 2 frame stands that have a good and almost the same design: Bursig and MotoMFG.

Here is good versus:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/11-ducat...mfg-stand.html

You have also the prices there. auch.

Now I was trying to have one for some time, I even had some discussions with Bursig and I did a design for a plate for Versys, in the end they said that they won't do it.

I'm in discussions with a Chinese manufacturer, Sumomoto that has the same design at a good price, including legs extenders and wheels.
http://www.sumomoto.com/smi2092.wmv
The price is very good.

The problems are:
1-the shipping for one is very high.
2-there is no plate for Versys.

For problem 1 I was thinking to find more interested people to have a group buy. I'm in Montreal, I can ship it to you but you have to include this in the final price.

For problem 2 I have the design and I found how to mount it on Versys ( I hope Sam can help us here with some machining)
The beauty is that I have a solution to be able to lift the bike from both sides ( Bursig and Motomfg are able to lift it only from the left side).

That's it.
If there is an interest and we can buy it like that, it will be perfect.

Let me know if you are interested.

Versys 2015 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 11:31 PM

Just wondering what this will do that a $50 rear spool stand and $50 front race stand (the kind that lifts the bike from the bottom of the triple tree) won't do. I have yet to need a front stand for my bike but will probably get one if I ever decide to take the forks apart.

Last edited by Sprocket; 11-30-2011 at 11:34 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

To use the stand we will need to bore pick up /mounting points, which means cutting into the side flaring to fit the mounting point. Not a major work, but when a paddock stand can do the job , why go the extend to get another stand that will cost even higher-IMHO.

On the other hand it might help if you have tight parking space like me...

Thanks for sharing.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 03:19 AM

What about this?

(photo album)
http://imgur.com/a/o2NZE#0
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

here is a video of this stand in action, I think it does much more than a normal stand..

anyway, the dilemma was easy resolved, here is the answer from the guy:

If you don't have plan for at least 300pcs in near future,then we suggest don't hesitate on shipping cost.We won't provide samples to who just for their own use.
Please note shipping cost is charged by express,Sumomoto won't ask extra cent.

since I'm not planning to buy 300 stands, it stops here.
I do plan to build one myself, but just as a note, the material here just to buy, is more expensive than the stand. Too bad that the shipping is so expensive..

I have the design done for everything, including the mounting points, nothing will get cut on the bike.

That's it.

Versys 2015 Green
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 08:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I wonder if you could start with a engine stand and modify it to do something similar??
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
I wonder if you could start with a engine stand and modify it to do something similar??
I was thinking about that, actually I have a lot of different ideas, from hydraulic lift to Trailer Jack...
I'm still not 100% decided, I'll check in few weeks.

Versys 2015 Green
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 AM

I use regular paddock stands (T-Rex) for routine work but to remove the swingarm, I used a pair of jack stands (Harbor Freight - 6 Ton - 24 Inch Height) and a solid steel bar (a length of good size heavy wall pipe would be fine too) through the frame cross-tube hole.

I lifted it & lowered it onto the jack stands with the rear paddock stand.

It worked great and was VERY stable.
PS I tried to upload images but I'm getting an "This is not a valid image file" error -- even though they're regular JPG's and well withing the file size & dimension limits. Anybody have a guess as to why?

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~

Last edited by Hardware; 12-02-2011 at 08:56 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 02:28 PM

Unhappy Just went through this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
I use regular paddock stands (T-Rex) for routine work but to remove the swingarm, I used a pair of jack stands (Harbor Freight - 6 Ton - 24 Inch Height) and a solid steel bar (a length of good size heavy wall pipe would be fine too) through the frame cross-tube hole.

I lifted it & lowered it onto the jack stands with the rear paddock stand.

It worked great and was VERY stable.
PS I tried to upload images but I'm getting an "This is not a valid image file" error -- even though they're regular JPG's and well withing the file size & dimension limits. Anybody have a guess as to why?
You need to upload your photos to a site like Photobucket, and then post to this Forum. It will work great! I just had this problem and resolved it with help from fellow members. Try it, you'll like it!

ďDonít bother me with DETAILS!Ē
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismocycleguy View Post
You need to upload your photos to a site like Photobucket,
Thanks... I actually have a number of option for hosting pictures on the web but for something like this I just wanted to upload them to the forum as attachments and Iíve never had a problem doing this in the past...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Well, after about a year trying to buy a stand, I finally finished building one.

It's not perfect, it's not beautiful, but it works the way I wanted, and the satisfaction for building it is priceless

here are some photos with the Versys flying..... at least off the ground if not flying... both wheels are in the air, the back about 4-5in, front about 2-3in.

it works from both sides of the bike so I can work on it without something blocking the work, it's very easy to lift the bike and it's solid.
I still need to do some modifications and paint it....

it's very easy to change the sides and when I'm done with it I can take it apart so it doesn't take too much space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120908_124955.jpg (72.1 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpg 20120908_125021.jpg (64.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 20120908_125753.jpg (66.6 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg 20120908_125931.jpg (50.9 KB, 162 views)

Versys 2015 Green
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Ya done GOOD chid!

Where are you in Canada?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Thx!

I wanted to buy a rear stand, then to buy a front stand.....neeeeeee
plus I like to work in crazy projects that others say it's impossible

I was really close to get a deal with Bursig, I had the plate for Versys and everything ready and I was ready to make a deal with them, but they said in the end that they won't make a plate for Versys.....
I tried with MOTO MFG to do the same, but also they didn't want.....
even the Chinese had a stand like tat ( without my improvements ) but I couldn't have a nice deal....the stand is cheap, but the shipping is a deal killer....

I'm in Montreal.

Versys 2015 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode