Heated gear? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Heated gear?

Can any one say if they are using any heated gear, and how much strain does it put on the electrical system?

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:34 AM

I've been using a Gerbings Heated liner and Gerbings T5 heated gloves with no issues. IMO there is no real advantage to using heated pant liners if you have good insulated motorcycle pants. After a year of use I'm convinced it is the best solution for sub 50F/10C temperatures.

Some things I've found
- do get a dual channel temp controller as gloves and liner need separate control, with Gerbings get the optional $10 pouch for the controller and clip it to your jacket so you can adjust the temp while underway
- do get a liner and gloves to fit tight over just a thin shirt as they need this for efficient heat transfer
- check out Warm&Safe (aka FirstGear), Gerbings and Powerlet - all seem to generate good feedback, Tourmaster heated gear is cheapest in price and quality
- in colder temps a heated jacket liner works best under a textile 3/4 length adv tour type 4 season jacket because it prevents drafts at the waist
- skip heated vests and get a heated jacket liner with a heated collar, you can replace the insulated liner in a jacket with a heated liner but cannot do this with a vests, a heated collar is really nice in cool weather as are heated sleeves

Replacing the low beam bulb with a more power efficient HID kit (florescent HID bulb and ballast ~$29 on ebay) will provide another 10-20w from the charging system.

Last edited by Sprocket; 11-28-2011 at 08:39 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM

I use the Gerbings heated jacket liner and Oxford heated grips. I can't remember exactly but I figured out the amp draws at the time and there was lots of power available but for me the jacket and hands (either grips or gloves ) is sufficient.

2013 Versys1000

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 10:00 AM

yes, used vest on this mornings commute
juice, nothing to be concerned about

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 10:24 AM

I've been reading a lot about this on AdvRider and I pretty much agree with what Sprocket said above.
I also learned to choose Warm N Safe over Gerbings.
WnS gloves are made for them by a third party and may have issues. The owner, Mike, recommends glove liners as they stand 100% behind those.
Pick a size that will fit snug to your body to get the most efficiency.
For more items get the dual controller (maybe a wireless one).

Versys charging system can certainly take it but just to sure, rev it hard and ride fast.

Cheers.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 12:16 PM

+1 for Sprocket's comments. In addition, I have HotGrips heated grips (http://hotgrips.com/). Never had a problem with my 09 V keeping the battery charged up. The Gerbing jacket and glove liner are very effective. Between 45F and 50F, I only use about a half-turn on the controllers, and have plenty of heat.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 12:43 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I have the Aerostich Kanetsu vest (with non-heated zip on sleeves), plus my GPS unit and never have a problem. Just make sure you check your fuses on a regular basis. Mine is near the battery and earlier this year I had to change it as it blew due to another electrical issue (headlamps blew out). Other than that, best money I spent for lengthening the riding season to anytime there is no snow on the ground!

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking about going that route with the Aerostitch. Thanks for the input everybody. You have given me something to think about. Ride safely!

Cheers!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I run the kawasaki heated grips, Tourmaster synergy gloves, and vest liner. The tourmaster gear is the best bang for the buck because it comes with everything you need. Don't need to buy separate controllers and such. Is it the best gear? Maybe not, but works for me.

If you are concerned add a Voltmeter to the bike to make sure the battery is being charged while you are riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode