I've been using a Gerbings Heated liner and Gerbings T5 heated gloves with no issues. IMO there is no real advantage to using heated pant liners if you have good insulated motorcycle pants. After a year of use I'm convinced it is the best solution for sub 50F/10C temperatures.
Some things I've found
- do get a dual channel temp controller as gloves and liner need separate control, with Gerbings get the optional $10 pouch for the controller and clip it to your jacket so you can adjust the temp while underway
- do get a liner and gloves to fit tight over just a thin shirt as they need this for efficient heat transfer
- check out Warm&Safe (aka FirstGear), Gerbings and Powerlet - all seem to generate good feedback, Tourmaster heated gear is cheapest in price and quality
- in colder temps a heated jacket liner works best under a textile 3/4 length adv tour type 4 season jacket because it prevents drafts at the waist
- skip heated vests and get a heated jacket liner with a heated collar, you can replace the insulated liner in a jacket with a heated liner but cannot do this with a vests, a heated collar is really nice in cool weather as are heated sleeves
Replacing the low beam bulb with a more power efficient HID kit (florescent HID bulb and ballast ~$29 on ebay) will provide another 10-20w from the charging system.
Last edited by Sprocket; 11-28-2011 at 08:39 AM.