How do you ride? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How do you ride?

I am currently not a Versys owner, but I am heavily considering picking one up. I have been riding a Kawasaki EX-500, Ninja 500, for 2 years as a commuter bike. I love it besides it's low seat height and cramped pegs. I stand 6'7" tall and was turned on to this bike not only by its interesting looks, some do say it's ugly, but by it's powerplant and seat height. I am considering primarily for commuting and maybe a weekend jaunt or two. Is this as good of a selection as I a seem to think it is?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxifer View Post
I am considering primarily for commuting and maybe a weekend jaunt or two. Is this as good of a selection as I a seem to think it is?

Thank you in advance.
Hey Ox... it should do all you ask of it in that capacity.
It is nimble, agile and quite capable of being seriously
wicked up when things get twisty.
If where you're commuting to happens to be a city,
you will love it even more. It comes close to being the ideal
urban assault vehicle
. It has lots of low end grunt, an almost
flat torque curve and a lightness of being which makes it ideal for
abrupt changes of direction.

Enjoy.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

You might want to try to ride one. At 6'7", even the Versys may be cramped for you. Others have had their seats modified for more peg to seat leg room. But, if you're used to riding a Ninja 500, who knows, maybe a Versys is the bike for you.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

I've sat on one at a dealer and found it to be pretty comfy. I am used to riding on a bike where my knees are bent past a 90 degree angle and my knees are actually above the tank when my feet are on the pegs. I am gonna take one for a cruise on Monday and possibly seal the deal since Kawasaki's Go Green sales event ends this week and I can't pass up that low of a payment.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:20 AM

I'm sorry I missed your post when it first popped up, Oxifer.

I'm 6' 5", 215 pounds, 34"-35" inseam . . . and the Versys is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. The only thing that comes close is a Daytona 955i that I had for two years, but didn't ride as often as I would have liked because the "sportbike" ergonomics, with lots of forward lean and weight on the wrists, irritated an old shoulder injury. Still, it had lots of room for long limbs - and, oh, that sweet triple-cylinder sound and power!

I use my Versys for everything: touring (with easy-on-and-off luggage); 20 mile round trips to the store (we live in the country); zipping around twisty backroads; two-up jaunts with my wife on the pillion; etc. I've never had a bike that I liked better.

Because of my long legs, I mounted a set of highway pegs. You can see pictures here on my posting ("Highway Pegs") on the "Cosmetic Modifications" subforum. I can either put my feet on them for a while, which brings my knees up high and takes pressure off my butt, or just stretch out and rest the back of my calves (in Sidi Vertigo boots) on them to give my knees a rest. I only use them on longer rides, but it's nice to have the option.

I hope you find a bike - whether the Versys or another - that feels comfortable to ride. I dream of the day when Ducati will offer a 1098 "LT" (Long and Tall) model!!!!

Kevin McClearey
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Kevin,
Thank you for the great feedback. I went to a local dealer (if you call 30 miles from home local) and road a Versys on Monday. He is the same dealer that I bought my Kawasaki EX-500 from and he made me an excellent offer on trade in value as well as took a few hundred off the msrp of the Versys and I road away on my brand new Kawasaky Versys. Thus far it is a great ride, the only problem I have had so far is getting used to the bolt upright riding position, it is beyond comfortable but I am just not used to it.

Thank you much for all of your help.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 08:37 AM

You're welcome, Oxifer . . . and welcome to the happy horde of Versys owners!

It sounds like you got a great deal when you decided to "Go Green!" . . . or, in your case, "Go Greener!" I have to ride a bit (about 28 miles roundtrip) to get to my dealer, too. I like that, since it gives me a great excuse to hop on the Versys and bomb through the woods and hills to go conduct essential business. Southern Illinois Motorsports handles Kawasaki, Honda and Suzuki products, so early next week I'll just have to stop by and sit (for at least the 100th time) on an '08 Hayabusa, an '08 Ninja 250, an '08 CBRR 1000, an '08 Ruckus, an '08 Silver Wing, and a variety of ATVs. I'll also check the coffee to insure its proper freshness and strength, try on a couple of helmets, attempt to talk the parts manager out of some free stuff, and catch up on all the gossip and hear great stories of frat boy novice riders from the university just down the road who plunk down graduation cash for a firebreathing 600 . . . and blast it out of the parking lot, fail to negotiate the turn onto the access road, and unexpectedly find themselves exploring the off-road potential of their racer replicas in the big field across from the showroom. Fortunately, almost all of 'em eventually putter away after suffering nothing more than intense embarrassment, grass stains, dirt streaks and a few scratches on their plastic.

Enjoy your upright rides! If you get some highway pegs, then you can lean back and/or slouch a bit to relieve the usual "prim-and-proper" stance.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode