43 degrees at 8am - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
43 degrees at 8am

Think I'll pull out the V in the morning and ride to work. The high here in Denver is forecasted to be 61. This will give me a good reason to leave work at 1030 and go for a short ride... Hope I don't freeze during the fifteen mile highway commute (I don't own much cold weather gear yet)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:54 AM

You might want to get some cold weather gear!

Seriously, if your hands are numb and you're distracted by being so uncomfortable it can be a safety issue. Before I got heated gloves I had to religiously pull over about every hour to let my hands thaw out on long winter rides and that was even with heated grips. My reaction time and feel would slow down and I'd think "Time for a break".

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:52 AM

If you can keep the wind off, it's a lot easier to stay warm. When it's cold in the morning, I throw a windproof/waterproof jacket over my regular riding jacket. There are glove inserts that work the same.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:58 PM

My personal favorite. Good for 85F down. Below 40F though you will need a heated liner for pretty much any jacket if riding for extended periods at speed.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I put on my leather jacket, a neck warmer, and some decent winter boarding gloves (semi-leather palms), and the ride to work was fine. I had hiking boots on, my feet got a little chilled.

Most of the ride was on C470 (highway) and the average speed was probably 70 - 75Mph. I didn't really notice any windchill, and the improvised neck warmer (my wife's 'earband' pulled down around my neck) kept a lot of cold off.

All in all, when I got to work, I was in good shape. Hands were not too cold, feet warmed up quickly.

I will still get some more winter gear, especially some good riding gloves and some handguards, but is nice to know I can go out for a spin in cold weather and not turn into a popsicle.

That first right hand turn out of the neighborhood, on cold tires and cold cement/pavement, woke me up. Tires didn't want to grip very well

'09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode