Windshield Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Windshield Question

I need to get a taller windshield but im not sure how tall i need. I would like it to look half decent but wind protection is the priority. I plan on doing some touring this summer and i want to eliminate as much helmet wind noise as possible. I bout my 2007 V used and it came with a MRA shield with the spoiler thingy on it. Its just not tall enough for me.

Im 6'4" tall. What shield would work for me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Looking decent or getting wind protection, pick one. You will ned a huge ugly windshield at 6'4" but if you need wind protection thats what you must do.
'
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 09:25 AM

Go to the CalSci site (http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Versysprod.html) for guidance on sizing the windscreen. Generally speaking, put a mark on the flat ground, 25feet in front of your bike. Sit on the bike, draw a sight-line to the object. The top of the screen should intersect the sight-line.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Anyone got pics with a tall windshield on their V?

Thanks,

keith
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post

Thanks,

keith

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...dshield+thread

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post

Thanks,

keith
Keith - I'd LOVE to, but, along with others, I STILL can't upload pics to this site from my computor, even tho' I've uploaded probably 1,000 pics previously.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:23 PM

I had the Givi Windscreen and it was OK but it did not keep me completely covered as far as wind and rain. It looks the best I think.

I had a get off and it was toast so I went with the MRA VarioTouringScreen and it does keep me out of the wind completely. The great thing about the MRA is that it has a little “pie hole” plate at the top and you can put it all the way up for maximum protection or down and you get some wind in the face for hot summer days. It does not look to bad and both are at a good price point.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 12:38 PM

Parabellum tall tinted windshield,
a.k.a. The Versys Road King.

Vulcan 1700 Classic

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Garage

Like the VStream, it keeps the wind off my body. I'm 6ft and have it set up in the second from top position so the wind off the top of the shield strikes my upper neck/lower chin bar of helmet. This allows fresh air to reach the helmet vents and prevents the kind of buffeting you get when the wind can only reach the top part of the helmet. It also does not overwhelm the bikes looks like some of the big shields do.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-22-2011 at 02:06 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for posting this great information!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 03:31 PM

I had the Grand Touring model from Mikesshields. The quality was great and it blocked the wind from my arms and torso, however at the highest or lowest setting there was enough buffeting to make the ride uncomfortable. I went back to the stock screen. I am 6'3" with a 34 inseam.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:41 AM

When I initially got my 09 V, being 6-1 the stock screen just did not work for me.

Over the years I have tried a number of different screens and mounting positions

Stock screen:
At all heights including mounted upside down

Givi Screen at all heights:
Best position was lowest. The highest position let too much air under the screen and created more turbulence / helmet noise @ speed.

Givi Screen mounted on Algard Screen brackets:
The best position was at its lowest but with the top edge raked down and back. Lots of shelter for my body and clear air flow around helmet not much turbulence / helmet noise @ speed. BUT when I wanted to add the Acerbis dual road handguards the steering lock was restricted. :151:

Givi and inverted stock, mounted together in highest position on standard mounts:
Cuts the turbulence except at high Speed (+70mph) and gives good shelter.
I use this for winter / cold weather riding, if I can be bothered to change back to it.
I have not got a picture of this setup but it looks a bit like this (fills in the gap at the bottom), but without the Vario spoiler - May try that at a later date.

V-Stream on stock mounts:
Good but does create similar levels of turbulence / helmet noise as the Givi on its highest setting.

V-Stream on Algard screen mounts: (Currently running this setup)
Lower / raked back. Lots of shelter for my body and clear air flow around helmet no turbulence / helmet noise @ speed.
Good clearance to the handguards I have fitted. :002:

My 2d and quick resume of my trials & experiments. :006:

Richard

at
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerMan View Post
When I initially got my 09 V, being 6-1 the stock screen just did not work for me.

Over the years I have tried a number of different screens and mounting positions

Stock screen:
At all heights including mounted upside down

Givi Screen at all heights:
Best position was lowest. The highest position let too much air under the screen and created more turbulence / helmet noise @ speed.

Givi Screen mounted on Algard Screen brackets:
The best position was at its lowest but with the top edge raked down and back. Lots of shelter for my body and clear air flow around helmet not much turbulence / helmet noise @ speed. BUT when I wanted to add the Acerbis dual road handguards the steering lock was restricted. :151:

Givi and inverted stock, mounted together in highest position on standard mounts:
Cuts the turbulence except at high Speed (+70mph) and gives good shelter.
I use this for winter / cold weather riding, if I can be bothered to change back to it.
I have not got a picture of this setup but it looks a bit like this (fills in the gap at the bottom), but without the Vario spoiler - May try that at a later date.

V-Stream on stock mounts:
Good but does create similar levels of turbulence / helmet noise as the Givi on its highest setting.

V-Stream on Algard screen mounts: (Currently running this setup)
Lower / raked back. Lots of shelter for my body and clear air flow around helmet no turbulence / helmet noise @ speed.
Good clearance to the handguards I have fitted. :002:

My 2d and quick resume of my trials & experiments. :006:

Richard
Damn, that's a great post! Informative!

The stocker was no enough for me, so I got a Givi. Much better, but still no Gold Wing--I live with it.

(Pictures not uploading)

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode