Is 60 000 km too Much? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is 60 000 km too Much?

Hi, I am looking to buy a used Versys, and have come across a 2007 with 60 000 km on it.

Should I stay clear from a bike with that much on it? I understand that these engines are well built, but at what point would it not be a good consideration as a used bike purchase?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:51 PM

That depends on how cheap it is...
my 07 had 28000k on it and I paid $5200 cnd in 2010

28000km divided by 3 years old equals 9333km per year.

60000km divided by 4 years equals 15000km per year so reason would dictate that it should be cheaper to buy than mine was...

although a lot depends on condition & accessories that are included.

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 02:59 PM

IMO you don't have to avoid it for the right price. It would depend on:

Clutch feel, has the clutch disks been replaced.
Brake pad thicknesses
Condition of the tires
Condition of the chain and sprockets
Mileage since last service / valve adjustment

Cost of bringing those items up to spec can be significant.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 11-21-2011 at 04:18 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
60000 is nothing IF the maintenance was performed properly and on schedule> oil and filter changes, valve gap adjustments most important. Other than that it depends on condition of the wear items that you might need to replace. Don't let mileage alone dictate your decision, I expect the V engine is good for at least 150000 km with no appreciable problems.

I have put well over 100000 km on more highly stressed motorcycle engines than our twin cylinder.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

All good points, thanks.

Yes, I am assuming that all other things mentioned are fine. It looks like it is well maintained, but I will need to take a close look.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 04:52 PM

That bike has most likely been through 5 riding seasons, and therefor averaging 12K a year. To me that indicates recreational usage as opposed to commuting. I think a joy-ridden machine is less prone to wear and tear (sustained hiway speeds and all that). My bike is the same year and almost the same mileage, and runs like a top - oh, if you disregard the recently burned stator. If it's a black one it'll be very fast.

Is it the original owner who is selling it?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
Is it the original owner who is selling it?
Good point about the recreational usage. I think the mileage is from a few road trips. I think he is the first owner, but that is something I will certainly check.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:21 PM

As Mt. Versuvius said, the type of riding a person's used the bike for will make difference. My own 2008 has over 50k miles on it and still runs strong, but almost all of my riding is touring, so I could have as few as 150-200 days of use on the bike, with correspondingly less braking/accelerating/etc than someone commuting to work for three years. Bearing this out is the fact that I'm still running the original brake pads. Then again, as things get old, they also deteriorate naturally, but for the right price, I wouldn't be too shy about buying a Versys with this mileage.

I'm just curious how much the seller is asking for the bike, as I tried to sell mine last year with about 40k miles, and had no takers. Back then I was asking about $3000 US including a Corbin seat, givi windshield, crash bars, and OEM sidebags/racks. In the end, I decided that there was nothing wrong with the bike and kept it. I did have the stator go out on a tour of Mexico and the Rockies last summer, but other than that, the bike has just required routine maintenance.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
I'm just curious how much the seller is asking for the bike, as I tried to sell mine last year with about 40k miles, and had no takers. Back then I was asking about $3000 US including a Corbin seat, givi windshield, crash bars, and OEM sidebags/racks.
Your American prices make me want to cry! I would have bought your bike in a heart beat! The bike in question (although I don't know if it is still available), was listed at $4200. It had lots of add-ons.

On average, I am finding that 2007/2008 bikes with an 20 000 km on them (or so) are going for $5500.

Maybe I should shop cross-border!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 01:21 PM

K.B.B.

don't know if you could extrapolate their data to Canada

Accessories are worth 20 + - max of installed cost value IMO

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 11-25-2011 at 06:28 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
Your American prices make me want to cry! I would have bought your bike in a heart beat! The bike in question (although I don't know if it is still available), was listed at $4200. It had lots of add-ons.

On average, I am finding that 2007/2008 bikes with an 20 000 km on them (or so) are going for $5500.

Maybe I should shop cross-border!!
I know the feeling M. C. Here in Mexico, bikes, (and Japanese manufactured bikes in particular), are significantly more expensive, so when I replace my Versys, I'll likely be buying in the US, then bringing it down here.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode