Farewell, it's been great! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Farewell, it's been great!

Well, it didn't take long for sure but I sold the bike today. I met the new owner today (forum member screen name: BMK). He got a great deal on it, but I'm just glad to see it go to someone who can appreciate it and thankful it sold before the winter. I will truly miss riding, but right now in my life, I have to think of my family needs first. I'm definitely not done riding forever!

So...thank you all who've made my entrance into motorcycling so fun and exciting. The wealth of knowledge here and the quality of the people make this place one of my all time favorite forums!

On that note, we welcomed this to the family a couple weeks ago. 2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 V8. Got an incredible deal on it and it only has 60k miles. With 5 kids now, having two vehicles that can seat all of us is a HUGE need.

oh...and the rims were already installed. I'm want to sell them and go back to 17's with A/T's...the wife on the other hand wants to keep them

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 11:23 PM

Wow, the Explorer is a good color for her too... Thanks for letting us know why you're abandoning us, high and dry.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 11:46 PM

Always sad to see a rider retire, even if only temporarily. Sure there's not enough room for an $800 UJM in the garage, just to keep the dream alive?

In keeping with my habit of sticking my nose "where et dun't belong", A/T's in California? Unless you're heading off-road, all-seasons'll net you better wear, better handling (probably), and better economy (slightly), especially with all that hot pavement. Usually less money to boot.

EDIT: You also might want to watch the front wheel bearings. Explorers of that vintage have a tendency to lose them right about at your mileage.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue

Last edited by 80-watt Hamster; 11-19-2011 at 11:51 PM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-watt Hamster View Post
Always sad to see a rider retire, even if only temporarily. Sure there's not enough room for an $800 UJM in the garage, just to keep the dream alive?

In keeping with my habit of sticking my nose "where et dun't belong", A/T's in SoCal? Unless you're heading off-road, all-seasons'll net you better wear, better handling (probably) and better economy (slightly), especially with all that hot pavement. Usually less money to boot.
Actually NorCal and I'm only about 45 minutes from the hills with some great trails ready to Explore It has Toyo Proxes ST2's on there now, just about brand new. I've heard they're an excellent tire that's M+S rated. We'll see when I take it up to Tahoe next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Wow, the Explorer is a good color for her too... Thanks for letting us know why you're abandoning us, high and dry.
Thanks invader, you've proved to be a great resource on here. Oh, and you forgot one...high, dry and warm. That, I will definitely enjoy this winter.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
All the best and hope one day you will return to bikes
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Nice looking ride!! And don't be a stranger!

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 11:13 AM

We all can appreciate keeping the priorities straight, especially with 5 children ! Enjoy that Explorer !

- James
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80-watt Hamster View Post
Glad to hear you sold your bike, and before winter, like you said. I saw when you posted it and, man, that bike was nicely tricked out with aftermarket goodies. I am sure the new owner is going to love it!

I've been in your situation before where practicality "won the day," and, in all honesty, it seems you just did something that needed to be done. I can't see having that large of a family and not owning 2 vehicles that could get everybody around in.

Having said that, since I have been a teenager, I have not gone more than a few months without a motorcycle in my life. Sometimes it was one I rolled off the showroom floor brand new and other times it was a 20+ year old "survivor" that I bought for $400, $750, $1,000, etc.. For some people, motorcycling is an optional pastime, and others it is in our blood and who we are and what we do. If I were in your shoes, I would be saving my nickles right now and shopping for something to ride, "just to keep the dream alive," as Hamster stated. For a variety of factors, it is really amazing sometimes what you can get in a motorcycle for $750, $1,000, or even $1,500. I recently saw on Craigslist an 80's Honda XL 350 that "ran great," looked all stock and real clean with 5,000 miles on it. The guy wanted $1,100 for it and while I was "thinking about it," somebody snapped it up--probably for $1,000 or less too. If you be careful and shop around, sometimes you can find some real gems out there "on the cheap."

Anyway, best of luck with the new car and to you and your family! Hope to see you back "in the fold" before too long!

Ride to live, live to ride.
2009 Kawasaki Versys
2010 Yamaha YZ 250F
2008 Honda CRF 450
2006 Honda CR 250R
I've owned a Maico.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 11:46 AM

Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Weljo -

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 12:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Weljo -

5 Kids. just saying......

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 01:05 PM

Garage
Five kids now! It seemed only a little while ago that you had three. I very much understand needing two vehicles that can seat the entire family. We have a hard enough time with three kids.

Take care.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
5 Kids. just saying......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
Five kids now! It seemed only a little while ago that you had three. I very much understand needing two vehicles that can seat the entire family. We have a hard enough time with three kids.

Take care.
Yup, 5 kids. We were just placed with our 13 month old twin girls (adoption). My wife and I have been in the process of adopting for 18 months now. We were chosen as the placement for our girls 5 months ago and brought them home 3 weeks ago. That's three biological kids (all boys) and two girls now.

Being a dad is one of the greatest gifts in the world and I love every minute of it.

Last edited by jchristian79; 11-20-2011 at 01:48 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian79 View Post
Yup, 5 kids. We were just placed with our 13 month old twin girls (adoption). My wife and I have been in the process of adopting for 18 months now. We were chosen as the placement for our girls 5 months ago and brought them home 3 weeks ago. That's three biological kids (all boys) and two girls now.

Being a dad is one of the greatest gifts in the world and I love every minute of it.
Good on ya!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 07:31 AM

Good luck man, you made the right choice. To be honest I probably wouldn't ride a motorcycle if I had any kids, it's way too dangerous around here (Chicago has terrible drivers). Be well!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Sad to see a member leave but family comes first.

Wish you and your loved ones all the best and may GOD BE WITH YOU.

A Ship that never Sinks is FRIENDSHIP-Keep in touch.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:

+1

I have two grown children... I wish I had 5 or 6... It goes by so fast.

KJ

2013 Suzuki V-Strom
2013 Honda CRF 250L
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650-ADV
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2008 Yamaha TW200
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
1979 Suzuki GS425 (long gone)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 04:58 AM

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:14 AM
MTS

Some people are really great parents! Thats has always amazed me!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode