Exhaust slip-on thoughts..... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exhaust slip-on thoughts.....

Ok, so I've had a FEW different slip-ons on my V, and I figured it would be proper to help others make a decision, from my personal viewpoint.
1. Akrapovic. Since I bought my V in '07, Akra did not have a Versys-specific slip-on, and instead had one for the Ninja 650. I did a little research, and at the time it APPEARED as though whatever can fit that bike would also fit the V. Not so. Swingarms are different, and there were fitment issues. It did fit, bit the clearance was measured in MM. Sound was subdued, quality was fantastic. This was a Ti can. I can only comment that the Versys spec can that you get now is top-notch, with the assumption that fitment is not a problem. Very pricey. Strap mount made of of carbon fiber.
2. Jardine Oval S/S. People complain about quality and I didn't find this to be an issue. Of course I haven't had ANY of these exhausts long enough to warrant long-term durability, but on the short, these appear as good as anything else I've had. Very loud, even with the spud. I modded my insert and it was very tolerable, but it took work. If you're looking for noise, go here first. By far the least expensive. Strap mount, rubber cushion.
3. Two Bros Aluminum. I did not like this one out of all of them. Very noisey, didn't like the tone down low where I ride it most of the time, {only really good on the top end, where it "sang"}, and the fitment was terrible. No matter how much I fussed with it, I could not get the clearance between it and the footpeg mount to be "comfortable". In fact when I bought it used, it had been marred up from this problem. Mid-range price, not so great noise. Strap mount. Oh well.
4. Yosh TRC S/S. Just put it on last night. Initial impressions as I drove it to work this morning in 30 degree weather is that it is THE sound I've been looking for. Not too noisey at all. Fitment was the best. Secure, good clearance. Quality I would rank close to / with the Akra. Decent price. Paid $360 including my States take. Bracket mounted.

Are there any performance increases? Yes. With ALL of them. No fueling changes, stock otherwise. Before everyone asks "how do you really know", it's easy. Test the wheelie factor at 4K / first gear with the stock exhaust and put on any of these. Night and day difference. Had them on and off so many times I can do it in my sleep. Back-to-back, same day, same temps, same fuel load. Noticeably more peppy down low and through the mid-range. Top end cannot tell, nor do I care. Based on almost everyones dyno's, it seems as though they are not fibbing. My highly calibrated butt dyno agrees.

So there you have it, from a V owner. Hopefully unbiased and somewhat informative for those looking.

2011 ZSX 1000
Red / ebony
Bag Connection AERO saddlebags
Garmin Nuvi 550 rammed
Kuso heated grips
ZG touring windscreen / CalSci Tall

Last edited by redline; 11-18-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 08:09 AM

Nice write up. I had been looking hard at the Two Bros slip on and you've just made up my mind for me. Much thanks!

Now I need to hear from someone who's installed my other choice... a Leo Vince EVOII.

2003 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Prep (sold)
2004 Suzuki SV650 (sold, wish I hadn't)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (commuter/dragon slayer)
Future bike: Ducati Sport 1000S (just because
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:14 AM

i have the 2bros with the p1x 8-9 db silencing tip, it is quite fine by me...still loud but not obnoxious... and you are right about a noticeable power increase.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Mine had the tip in it too, but when there is a basis of comparison, it is louder. Please remember this is only my opinion. I could have put up with the noise, well, maybe, but in the end it was how it fit.....or didn't.

2011 ZSX 1000
Red / ebony
Garmin Nuvi 550 rammed
Kuso heated grips
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 10:37 AM

I wouldn't trade my Leo Vince 'breadbox' for anything. Just fantastic.
I think it's the best looking one available, fits the bike's lines and configuration.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 07:37 PM

Good assessment of your experience. But it is hard to do an evaluation for sound esthetics since it is all subjective.

I would counter your assessment of the TBR.

I ran V&H on my Shadow, MAC on my KZ and the TBR aluminum on the V. I absolutely LOVE the sound of the TBR on the V. That one mod has probably added years to my expected ownership of this bike.

As far as fitment, i got a used one that had a scrape from improper mounting so i know it can be an issue, but i had no problem at all positioning it. The key was to tighten things down as instructed and only after rotating it to the correct spacing.

100 countries or bust...80 so far.
Rides: Ecuador, Haiti, Laos, Sri Lanka, Tibet & Vietnam

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 PM

I still like the Dan Moto stainless slip on for value and sound. I can't honestly see any performance improvement but it looks awesome and the exhaust note suits my ear. I also prefer the engine without that rather unnecessary lower fairing piece.

http://

"life is not a dress rehearsal"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

That looks really nice!
Please remember guys that this is a purely subjective analysis from my own ownership experience, I realize that there are many others out there that may be as good, worse or better than the exhausts I've tried.
As far as the Two Bros.,the quality is great, very nice looking piece. I just find it louder than some others, and for me, too loud, even in it's quietest form. I have had the advantage of a number of miles with all of these on the same bike. As far as the fit, it is very close. So, close that a good bump or jolt may have it contacting that crucial point. I twisted, turned, moved, swore, tightened, loosened, even spaced out my footpeg bracket assy for more clearance. If you notice, even when fully tightened, you can move it enough for contact. Or....maybe I just didn't install it correctly?

2011 ZSX 1000
Red / ebony
Garmin Nuvi 550 rammed
Kuso heated grips
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 08:38 AM

I notice a different instillation set up on the TBR site than i have. Mine had a brass spacer the affected positioning depending on how it was turned.

On the other hand it wouldn't be the first time that "dumb luck" had my back and i accidentally got it right.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. A very considered review and think of the savings, folks!
So, you've never run a Power Commander or Juice Box, etc with the pipes? Decel pops?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Plug the PAIR Valve Hose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. A very considered review and think of the savings, folks!
So, you've never run a Power Commander or Juice Box, etc with the pipes? Decel pops?
Yeah just plug up the hose on the PAIR Valve to stop all the decel pop...I have a Two Bros Juice Box and Yoshimura TRC SS slip on with insert and for 15,000 miles ...has been a great mod to an all ready torky motor... the motor just has a really fun power band... I also had a Arrow aluminum slip on...but the Yosh pipe sounds much better..

2013 White 650 Versys...Purrs like a kitty cat...
2007 Yamaha WR250F...Dirt Ripper...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I put on a yoshi last year and would have a pop every once and awhile at first then hardly ever after that. Put in a BMC airfilter and now i can't remember the last time i heard a pop. No Juice Box or Power Commander on the bike.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 07:47 PM

Im surprised the Preachers of Silence have not chimed in yet. My Versys has a small block chevy sound according to the people I ride with. I prefer my stock exhaust but for safety reasons the Jardine will stay, I never get swerved into with all that racket coming out of the so-called muffler. No where close to a drag pipe Harley and the cops never hassle me, good enough for me.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
My 29,000 mile 2008, Big Red, has the OEM muffler on it, either because I'm cheap, or don't want more noise, but right now in Phoenix there is the "Good Guys Car Show" for three days, with about 2500 entries. Today, Saturday, a lot of those rodders congregate at a McDee's on Indian Bend Road which has a "Show and Shine" EVERY Saturday, and it's a great place to go for a look.

Shortly after I arrived, while I was taking off my gear, a fellow walked up and told me he loved the sound my Versys made as I pulled in, asking if it was an aftermarket can.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 11:29 PM

Very nice write up... i've been debating what i'm gonna use for my winter project this year... the V&H CS one, the Akra Ti Or the yoshi trc w the insert... leaning towards the yoshi tbh
Thanks for the write up!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 03:56 PM

I've had a SS TRC on for about 3 months now and like it a lot. Yes, it fits like a glove and looks great. I'm running the insert, but I cut about and inch off the end (right at the neck down). I was getting a "turbulent" sound on decel that was kinda annoying. That fixed it... Volume is nice and civil at low throttle and sure gets attention with increased rotation. Sounds a lot better than the horn I get pops on decel, but they are pretty rare. One every 10 or 15 minutes. I had the carbon TRC-D on for a month or so, but that was a bit too "canon like" for my tastes It's on the bay if anyone's interested...

I thought the carbon would have looked better that the SS. Nope. The SS seems to fit the bike better and it's 2 bills cheaper!

Nice write up redline...
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 05:34 PM

I'm glad i didn't spring for the carbon fiber since most of that would have been hidden under the bike anyway.
Mostly the tip that shows.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Yoshi.........

Pipe has been extended from the original Slip On.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode